Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
cover mirror

Mirror Cover
Hey All

Does anyone know if I'd be able to secure this mirror cover to my windscreen that doesn't have the correct notches on the glass itself? I know it won't clip on but will it secure another way? Wanting to hide the wiring I have for the retrofit anti dazzle mirror.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

No mate it needs tabs on the glass
Yeah i know mate. Gonna try and secure it with some sort of double sided tape which will work I'm sure... Just wanted to see someone had any suggestions.

You are forgetting I tried it and it will look dreadfully bad from the outside of the side glass
I'm getting it tinted mate so that from the outside it won't look bad. Did you look into that option?

Yep tinted the inside bonded the plastic to the inside and it pulled the tint off I did tint the out side in the end but gave up on the idea you want to bond it on it will be in my old progress thread somewhere
(26:th-Jul-2016, 11:43:49)tucpal Wrote: Yep tinted the inside bonded the plastic to the inside and it pulled the tint off I did tint the out side in the end but gave up on the idea you want to bond it on it will be in my old progress thread somewhere

Crap...hahaha. Well, I'll remain positive and see what I can do! Cheers mate

What is it you are trying to retrofit... auto wipers or lights etc?
Just the cover mate! I've got this all exposed atm

So I want just the cover to hide all that

I would get some black fablon, cut it to the same shape as the cover, only slightly larger all around. Dry fit it to the window so you can make the necessary cutouts for the mirror plate etc, then peel off the backing paper and fit to the window. I would then use either 3M tape or some glue to stick the cover plate to the fablon and then fit the mirror, wiring and cover.
Yeah think that's what @tucpal did... Can I ask what fablon is though? But that's definitely the approach I'd be taking! Cheers

It's just a sticky back roll of vinyl which is used for covering all types or surfaces. You can get it in any colour and can buy it from most DIY outlets and Wilko's. I have even used it to cover the outer frame of an old council gas fire about 15 years ago because the person living there before us decided to paint it white and the council refused to do anything with it.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=...=fablon+uk
Aha! No way! Looks perfect! Is it easy to work with or a real bugger?

Fablon bought!

Very sticky, but pliable, just work from the mirror plate outwards. When everythint is cut out, I would place the fablon (backing paper still on) onto the windscreen and mark on the fablon and windscreen so when sticking it on you have some centre lines to work with.
Yes! Very good idea that! Nice one mate should be coming (fablon and mirror plate thing) before the weekend so will tackle it then

The fablon worked great! Well... It looks factory from the inside and outside but the problem is that it's really hard to apply without getting bubbles!

Pic from inside

But from the outside you can see bubbles

I think you can also do it by spraying water onto the glass and then squeezing it out with a credit card, have a trial run on something. I'm sure it still bonds after the water has been squeezed out, just like window frosting film. If you don't want to do that, you could try pricking the air bubbles with a pin and squeezing out the air.
(29:th-Jul-2016, 19:56:23)stigeye Wrote: I think you can also do it by spraying water onto the glass and then squeezing it out with a credit card, have a trial run on something. I'm sure it still bonds after the water has been squeezed out, just like window frosting film. If you don't want to do that, you could try pricking the air bubbles with a pin and squeezing out the air.
Yeah same sort of thing with some screen protectors ain't it... Good idea that! And was thinking the pin prick idea myself but wasn't sure if it would make a mess of it... Guess not though.

Gonna try that water idea now on my house window ha

Wow! The water idea worked amazingly well! No bubbles at all! That was a test though. Gonna leave it an hour or so on the kitchen window to see if it sets and stays sticky!

No way! Check out the results using water mixed with some baby shampoo! (used this mix before when doing screen protectors ha).

Assuming it doesn't plop off over night I think this is perfect!

Good job that mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I'm just going to tell my with that contrary to her opinion I am of some use afterall lol
Thanks rusty! @stigeye hahaha yep! You have proof now that you're useful too lol

So! I got some sugru to secure the frame to the window. I applied it so that it's not stuck to the vinyl but the glass a bit further up. It's also stuck to the casing of the mirror socket too.

It's drying atm then I'll attach the surrounded!

Let it set for a week before you bond the backing plate on or it will pull the tint off
I was going too @tucpal but I didn't want the sugru to set in a way where the casing wouldn't clip on. So I've just installed it now.. And wow! It's rock solid! As I say most of the adhesive putty (sugru) is on the mirror connector and I only put a small blob on the section touching the vinyl so that it would be able to hold itself while it dried.

Anyway... Had a good pull on it (yeah yeah haha) and it's secure as anything!

Inside pic

Outside pic

As you can see the vinyl is a tad smaller than the casing but I cut it that was as originally I was going to secure the casing to the glass all the way around and didn't want it being stuck to the vinyl. But don't think it looks bad myself!

Cheers for the help guys

Not bad well done
Cheers @tucpal! And as it's mainly secured to the frame of the connector on the mirror I think the vinyl should be okay and shouldn't come off! The case still clips on and off too so can use that to stash wires or whatever maybe even move my GPS module up into it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  auto fold mirror modules Qaranc 4 1,793 11:th-Jan-2023, 01:49:50
Last Post: Qaranc
  New AutoDipDown module for passenger mirror A20DTH 2 1,915 21:st-Oct-2022, 09:33:44
Last Post: rlievens
  perm 12v near mirror dammfust 1 1,497 6:th-Sep-2021, 11:31:25
Last Post: Astragtc1282
  Mirror Flick19191 7 5,158 11:th-Nov-2019, 11:58:51
Last Post: Flick19191
Thoughts on universal seat cover Borklazer316 0 2,081 5:th-Feb-2019, 18:53:34
Last Post: Borklazer316
  gloss black mirror caps Jhill7168 5 4,232 15:th-Sep-2017, 12:04:10
Last Post: Daniel199025
  Alloys mirror covers and spoiler :) jamesh7168 2 3,432 3:rd-Aug-2017, 22:57:23
Last Post: Jhill7168
  Sliding boot cover doesn't stay in place zzattack 1 3,493 27:th-Jun-2017, 18:53:14
Last Post: zzattack
  Front facing camera behind the rear view mirror? ellis0896 3 5,491 26:th-Dec-2016, 19:26:43
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Best Seat cover for leather rear seats Doughy 2 3,741 16:th-Oct-2016, 08:36:10
Last Post: Doughy