Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
filter and oil replacement

Oil and Oil filter replacement
Simple and quick job to do but may seem a little daunting if you have never done it before.

tools Required: Ratchet, 24mm socket and a T45 male torque socket, Container to drain the old oil into. A small flat screwdriver.
Access to axle stands and a jack would be needed also.

This was done on my 1.6T GTC however the process is the same but the location of the sump plug and oil filter may differ slightly.Order your oil and filter and then your good to go.

Once you have the car jacked up and on stands slide yourself underneath and have a look around you will be looking for:

Sump Plug

And Oil filter housing.

Once you have done this come back out and start the car and let it run for a few minutes to get the oil nice and warm.
After a few minutes switch back off and place your container underneath the sump plug.

Then simply undo the plug using the T45 socket

Top tip make sure your container is large enough otherwise you will run about in a panic trying to find another container before the oil spills out the one thats about to overflow. 

Leave for a few more minutes until the oil has stopped coming out. Give the plug a clean up before re inserting. (optional, you can replace the O-ring if you like, definitely do it if is burst or warped, but its not essential in this case,

I always rub a little bit of oil around it before re inserting again not essential just something I do. Once you have done this re insert the plug by hand and once it is tight you want to give it a nip up with the ratchet. 14Nm is recommended but if you do not have access to a torque wrench like myself then this will be fine.

Next you want to move onto the oil filter so grab yourself the 24mm socket and a drainage container again.

Once you have it loosened with the ratchet you can turn it out by hand, more oil will come out at this point to. Simply unwind and it will come off

The filter itself pulls away from the cap with a little bit of force

Next you want to remove the old O-ring and this can be done with a flat screwdriver and little effort

Once this is done open the box for your oil filter and you will find the filter itself and a new O-ring. Take the new O=ring and again rub a little bit of oil on it as this will help to ease it onto the cap

Next take the filter and click it into the middle insert on the cap. The filter only goes on one way which is pretty much explains itself.

Put the filter and cap back in place, again tightening by hand first and then give it a tighten up with the ratchet and its pretty much job done from there.

Now you want to lower the car off the axle stands and put your oil in

I used around 4 litres of oil, but what to do is, pour the oil in about a litre at a time after say 2 litres has been put in. Let it drip down into the sump and keep checking the level because you don't want to over fill.

Once your happy with the level you want to reset the Oil Life 
To do this you want to press the menu button on the indicator stalk and it should display vehicle information for a second or two before showing the remaining oil life.

Once you see this menu you want to press and hold the SET/CLR button on the stalk and you will be prompted to reset the oil life.

Press the SET/CLR again and it will reset.

And thats you job done!
let the oil circulate around the system for a few minutes and check the levels again and top up as required.

Hope this helps and dont be scared its quite simple to do and it will save you a bit of cash.
Great write up, although I have always lowered my car back down after taking sump plug off and oil filter to help get all of the old oil out, had a quick cuppa and then jacked it back up to put the sump plug and new oil filter back on. That was on my Seat though as I haven't yet done the Astra as it was already done in Feb just before I purchased the car.
Very good wright up there very helpful thankyou
Very helpful topic mate!

Thanks!
Good going.

The only tip I would give you is to cut half the side off a 5ltr container similar to the oil one or the 5ltr washer fluid ones you get.

My company buys in new empty ones for hydraulic oil so a few of them have found there way into my shed lol.

That way it makes it easier to transfer to a sealed container for disposal or even into the container your replacement oil came in. Just angle back and open then pour into the one for transport

Always have another one ready just in case there is more than expected.

Done it that way for years and saves the mess lol.
I really wasnt expecting that much oil it was about 7 litres. Shows tge competance of some of arnold clarks technicians haha
Yeah Arnold Clark are a joke. I'm allowed to say that my sister works for them haha.

Good write up though
great post fills me with confidence thank you
This video is for an Insignia 2.0cdti, but would assume it's also the same for a 2.0cdti Astra J 

yep there the same
Great write up

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Can't the service flap be removed when doing an oil change instead of removing the entire splash panel?
now ready to do mine, got the tools but im sure it would be nice if the how to had pics, for people who need them.
(15:th-Oct-2017, 19:46:19)Doughy Wrote: now ready to do mine, got the tools but im sure it would be nice if the how to had pics, for people who need them.

This is NOT the OP's fault Photobucket changed their policy's and are blocking all pictures unless we pay a silly monthly fee.

As soon as the OP see this hopefully he will get the images uploaded to a new server or they may email them to myself & I'll host them on the forums server and update the links.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
hi,
For some reason I can't see photos here.
any sugestions?

chears
(21:st-Jan-2018, 17:49:28)Brnjas Wrote: hi,
any sugestions?

chears

The Photos where uploaded with Photobucket, Photobucket have since changed there policy asking for large amounts of money to keep the external linking going... So this is the result.

Nothing much that can be done for the moment.

(22:nd-Jan-2018, 20:11:18)TubaMagna8 Wrote:
(21:st-Jan-2018, 17:49:28)Brnjas Wrote: hi,
any sugestions?

chears

The Photos where uploaded with Photobucket, Photobucket have since changed there policy asking for large amounts of money to keep the external linking going... So this is the result.

Nothing much that can be done for the moment.
ahaaa, ok

tnx for reply
I'm using the tapatalk app for this forum and can see the photos on this thread no problem.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
(24:th-Jan-2018, 02:42:47)Iaintruten Wrote: I'm using the tapatalk app for this forum and can see the photos on this thread no problem.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lucky you,
I'm using PC from work. I can not see the photos. BTW internet sometimes verrrryyy slow...
thanks anyway

chears
Just watch the video I posted further up, exactly the same procedure.
(28:th-Dec-2016, 12:19:08)stigeye Wrote: This video is for an Insignia 2.0cdti, but would assume it's also the same for a 2.0cdti Astra J 

(28:th-Dec-2016, 12:19:08)stigeye Wrote: This video is for an Insignia 2.0cdti, but would assume it's also the same for a 2.0cdti Astra J 

good vid - just a shame you put that half arsed bloody noise on it instead of a more useful spoken commentary!
Phlyer Phil
------------------------
Head In The Clouds
Mind In The Gutter

Stigeye didn't make the video mate.
Hi ,
Can this be option done on the 1.7cdti 2011 Reg- 5 door hatchback astra Oil Change Using a 12 Volt Oil Extractor Pump ?

So this will be pumped out from the Dipstick area.

Saves me lifting the car up.

thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to change fuel filter (diesel cars) grahamfromoldham 32 54,184 8:th-Feb-2020, 16:05:56
Last Post: nidzo

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
Rosen Popov (28:th-Nov-2023, 08:41:42)