Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
footwell of water full

Footwell full of water
A couple of weeks ago I noticed some water in my boot. Through removing all the carpets, seats and linings over the last couple of weeks, to find where the leak was coming from and to dry all the foam etc out (whilst also going insane), I have narrowed the leak to coming in behind the grey foam underneath the dashboard. I have had the glove box off and the pollen filter out, and checked the scuttle drains under the wipers which were clear but can not find where exactly the water is coming from. The water does not smell and none of my levels have dropped so I assume it is rain water. Whilst looking around the wheel arch I did notice that one of the fastening clips at the bottom was missing... i have ordered a replacement but could someone with better knowledge than me say whether this could be the cause? The car is a 2011 insignia. Thanks in advance for your replies
I know on the J water would drip off the wiper arm and then run through the pollen filter housing.

@tucpal maybe able to shed some more light on it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(15:th-May-2016, 16:35:11)Benthomas Wrote: A couple of weeks ago I noticed some water in my boot. Through removing all the carpets, seats and linings over the last couple of weeks, to find where the leak was coming from and to dry all the foam etc out (whilst also going insane), I have narrowed the leak to coming in behind the grey foam underneath the dashboard.

How would the water get from the front of the car (under dashboard) to the boot? I would have thought that if you had water by the dash and water in the boot the ingress would be from the roof somewhere?
The fix is to place a zip tie on the passengers wiper by the sticker under the scuttle panel this diverts the water away from the intake for the hvac also replace pollen filter and check bottom of hvac motor for signs of water this only happens on early models that's the fix
As the boot it could be a light fitting a rubber seal etc I know on early model Astra's there was an issue with seem welds and also the roof gully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Thanks for your replies guys.... much appreciated. The front and rear nearside footwells were full of water. There are channels that run the length of the footwells to make this a quick and easy process for the water (thanks vauxhall!) It appears to be seeping in from somewhere rather than pouring in and i first noticed the water in the boot. This appears to be splashed up the rear seat by the nearside door which i assume is when i have been accelerating etc....
I have managed to dry everything out (what a ball ache that was, thanks again vx!) and can now localise the water to the aforementioned grey foam at the front of the footwell.
I have had the pollen filter out which is bone dry and also had a look in the scuttle panel which also appears dry. Please can you explain your fix tucpal in a bit more detail and i will give that a whirl!
From rummaging around in the front nearside footwell, the water appears to be coming from underneath the foam but i cant find where whereas if it was coming from the hvac (i assume that is the black heater positioned under the pollen filter) i believe it would drip onto the top of the grey foam...
Any ideas????
Thanks
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...iOSNf8v7Qg

If you look under the passenger side of the scuttle panel
you should see a plastic plate covering the intake for the hvac or heater blower
make sure the cover is there for one then look at the wiper arm and you will see a sticker on it
tie a zip tie on it there leaving an inch of the tie pointing down
this will keep any drips away from the hvac intake
You need a jug of water and start pouring it over your car

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(18:th-May-2016, 06:56:24)J1ODYA Wrote: You need a jug of water and start pouring it over your car

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was going to say you need to be in the car while someone else is outside with a hose
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks again for your replies. Ive done my impression of a contortionist, trying to look under the dash as water is poured. however, the water appears to be seeping in slowly from somewhere under the grey foam at the front end of the footwell. Its going into vauxhall again tomorrow so maybe they will find something. I will let you know how it goes.
good luck
Right..... the insignia has been into vx who could not find a leak. I have had the sponge up which goes all the way up the footwell and am drying out the last reminants of dampness and thought i should check elsewhere to make sure i was correct with my thinking....! Bugger! Maybe i was not. There is a small pool of water in the rear nearside corner of the boot underneath the atmosphere pressure equalize inlet. When i put my hand in the gap just foward of this and just over the wheel arch, there is water in there!
Any ideas?
I would suggest checking the boot seal
but you may have to strip everything out the rear and get it the car while
someone pressure washers the car
but i remember reading about an insignia owner who had similar problems
there is a plastic strip at the top of the hatch sure there is a clip behind that that was either missing or broke
Thanks again for your suggestions and advice...
Since my last update I have been searching the internet for similar circumstances to mine and on one of the forums found that someone had a leak under the boot gutter drain. This sits just under the boot hinges and is a long piece of plastic that goes from one side of the car to the other. If you can manage to get this off without breaking the fixings (another great design vx, thanks) it can be seen that there are, what i can only describe as metal bungs which fit into holes within the chassis. On my nearside 'bung' u noticed that there was a hairline crack in the weld/glue that secures it so i have smothered this in silicone.
This may be me going down the wrong route again to find where the water is coming in but it seems to make sense as if water entered the chassis here it could go down both the b pillar which would fill up the footwells and down the c pillar to put water where i found it under the atmosphere pressure vent in the boot.
Sorry for banging on for so long but i wanted to put what i had found 'out there' so if anyone else is scratching there head for weeks whilst driving a mobile foot spa trying to work out what has gone wrong, this info may help them to get to the cause quicker!
Yep that's the thread I was talking about as I said check the boot seal and the top fix as described but ad you found a crack I would say that is the culprit I would take the silicone of and get the liquid metal stuff from Halfords it will last longer
My Astra j (62) has a leak I found so far it’s mainly along the passenger side also found a swimming pool of water in a well down behind the rear lights through the panel opening reach your arm through the metal holes and down that was full of water also the front and rear passenger floors. I don’t know the source yet but that’s my finding so far hope it helps

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Footwell lights hungrydiscus 5 5,006 26:th-Apr-2016, 18:26:05
Last Post: hungrydiscus