Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to colour wheel alloy how change

How-to change Alloy wheel colour

How-to change alloy wheel colour.

I would like to point out I am not a painter and this is done using rattle cans.

So the first you want to do is grab a kit from eBay. 
I used E-tech alloy wheel kit, a Kit like this.

You will also a selection of wet and dry sandpaper, I used 240, 1200 & 2000 grit for this project all from Halfords.
I also used some normal medium grit sandpaper on the couple of krebing marks I had.

If you have real bad kerbing then get yourself E-TECH Alloy wheel putty.

So start by removing the wheel/s. You need to give them a good clean, I used my Sonax wheel cleaner to start.

Once you work the cleaner into all tight spots etc let it sit 5-10 mins then wash off with a hose.

Next we need to remove the wheel weights (this is optional of course).

So using a scraper we remove the weights (you don't want to dig into the paint here just go in-between the weight and the wheel).

Next grab the can of E-TECH Surface deep cleaner which came with your kit (depending what kit you have brought).

Spray over the sticky pad left behind and allow it to penetrate for around 5 mins, then carefully using your scrapper scrape the sticky pad away.
If there is glue left behind repeat the above step.

Use the Deep clean on any spots of ingrained dirty and crap, you might not be able to get all out.

Then give your wheel a good wash warm soapy water don't forget to do the tyre wall as you need to stick tape to it later.

So now onto the sanding prep, find any bad spots in the alloy

Using the 240 wet and dry (a bowl of warm water with a tiny drop washing up liquid helps here) rub over the area keeping it wet.
The idea here is get it nice and smooth.

once done give the whole wheel a rub over using wet and dry with 240 grit then wash off dry then go over it with 2000 grit and dry and again wash off and dry

If you have any bare metal spots mask of the tyre and give a coat or 2 of primer, allow to dry over night then flat off lightly with 2000 wet and dry then wipe down and dry.

Next job is to mask the tyre.

Don't forget the valve

Using a tack cloth before you start to get any small bits of dirt and dust etc.

take the wheel outside and you can start spraying, apply a very light dust coasting.

Allow ten mins before applying a full coverage coat.

Allow a 5 mins and then do another coat and allow to dry for 20 mins before turning the wheel over.

Again wipe off with tack cloth and then repeat the above steps on the wheel face.

Leave over night for the paint to dry then you can apply the clear coat, repeat the above a dust coat, and a couple of full coverage layers, leave over night to harden. For best results try and leave the wheels for a few days in a nice warm room.

Don't forget to have the wheels re-balanced if you removed the weights and then give them a clean and a good coating of wax before bolting them back onto the car.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
well done mate good work
Will be doing my first every alloy paint job next week when I've got my new ones! ta mate

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Sheppy if there is anything i've learned from painting  its that prep is everything and you need to be patient and don't be tempted to rush it. And dont balls up the clear coat otherwise youll have to start again and spend many weekends cursing and swearing that you're never painting again
Yes prep is everything, haha a run on the clear coat is the worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How-to Brake Caliper Colour Change Nemo 28 18,355 1:st-Jul-2020, 22:10:38
Last Post: Javad
  HELP: rear wheel arch dent removal Starie 4 6,956 8:th-Jul-2016, 22:45:33
Last Post: tucpal
  How to change the exterior door handles sheppy1 4 15,497 20:th-Nov-2015, 16:33:59
Last Post: sheppy1
  HOW TO: Change colour of centre caps Cameron UK 9 11,096 15:th-Jun-2014, 22:26:19
Last Post: Tottybye

Who read this thread?
2 User(s) read this thread:
cpeter53 (27:th-Apr-2024, 06:41:32), exhippykev (27:th-Jun-2023, 20:38:22)