Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a in fit gtc garage

GTC in a garage (fit !!)
Might have finally found a nice GTC to buy and I'm checking the width.....wow they are quite wide

Looks quite a tight fit in my garage, anybody else have problems getting in and out of one in a garage?
Never tried & suspect getting in is fine but you won't open the door lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 19:55:33)J1ODYA Wrote: Never tried & suspect getting in is fine but you won't open the door lol

*****, hope its not that bad.....

Don't wanna be leaving it on the street where I live...
I tried mine in my garage before I left in holiday 3 weeks ago but it was far too wide and so had to spend the holiday on the drive
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 20:24:21)bruce_19 Wrote: I tried mine in my garage before I left in holiday 3 weeks ago but it was far too wide and so had to spend the holiday on the drive

OMG this is really bad for me......wonder if I could get out via the boot....
Or invest in cctv

Using Tapatalk
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 20:24:21)bruce_19 Wrote: I tried mine in my garage before I left in holiday 3 weeks ago but it was far too wide and so had to spend the holiday on the drive

How wide is your garage mate?? (wall to wall inside)

(22:nd-Apr-2016, 20:53:01)J1ODYA Wrote: Or invest in cctv

I live in a council house, my garage is across the street, wouldn't work.

If I left it on the street it would get rinsed (rough neighborhood)

I've gotta come up with something clever/crazy/innovative cos I'm not dropping £13k on a car and leaving in on the roadside...
Focus on not living in a council house first? £13k goes a long way on rent

Using Tapatalk
Problem solved...

[video=youtube]http:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMWHYBi7kG8//[/video]
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 21:20:57)J1ODYA Wrote: Focus on not living in a council house first? £13k goes a long way on rent

LOL! I hear ya.....but we're not in any way, shape or form short of cash but I guess it does sound a little nuts from your perspective.

I could pay cash for a GTC VXR (with all the options) but I need a 'sensible' car due to my weekly mileage.
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 22:18:34)neilll Wrote:
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 21:20:57)J1ODYA Wrote: Focus on not living in a council house first? £13k goes a long way on rent

LOL! I hear ya.....but we're not in any way, shape or form short of cash but I guess it does sound a little nuts from your perspective.

I could pay cash for a GTC VXR (with all the options) but I need a 'sensible' car due to my weekly mileage.

Get a biturbo gtc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-63-Vauxhall...SwAuNW8X6T
(22:nd-Apr-2016, 22:33:08)mrtc Wrote: Get a biturbo gtc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-63-Vauxhall...SwAuNW8X6T

they are nice but i hate the seats, I'm looking at a 1.6 CDTi 16V ecoFLEX Limited Edition currently.
I could pay cash if I lived in a council property too... it does sound crazy.

Wow that's a nice biturbo

Using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with living in a council house. Everyone helps each other.
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 05:56:26)J1ODYA Wrote: Wow that's a nice biturbo

I would love that Biturbo, one of the nicest ones I've seen.
Size's can be found on their website, hopefully this will answer your question.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxh...sions.html
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 08:09:28)mrtc Wrote: Nothing wrong with living in a council house. Everyone helps each other.
Not saying there is but if he fears leaving his car outside then clearly it's not the friendly type council estate!

Just going off what the guy says... I live in East London and do not worry about my car parked on the street.

Using Tapatalk
I will have a check later on and let you know about the size my garage is in the next street over and it currently houses my van which I can get in and out of no bother when it's in. As for the gtc I had about 2" wither side when getting it in the door as had to give up on putting it in.

My garage is a council rented on so if yours is the same I would assume they would be the same size inside.
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 09:36:11)J1ODYA Wrote:
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 08:09:28)mrtc Wrote: Nothing wrong with living in a council house. Everyone helps each other.
Not saying there is but if he fears leaving his car outside then clearly it's not the friendly type council estate!

Just going off what the guy says... I live in East London and do not worry about my car parked on the street.

I shouldn't have to explain myself but I will.

I've always owned my own houses, met a girl in another county, sold my house and moved in with her (council house). We are planning to buy a place together but right here and right now this is where we live. We both work full time and not claiming benefits, just so we're clear

It's not a nice estate, I've had several Astra's damaged over the years so a while back we took the opportunity to rent a couple of garages (we both have MK4 SXi's currently).

@bruce_19 Yes its council garage, some are wider than others though so I'm curious

GTC is 2020mm with mirrors and 1840 without. My Mk4 is roughly 1780-1790 with no mirrors but its a More Door so shorter doors, never had a 3 door before but I suspect with longer doors they need to open wider to get my ass out. If I tuck my SXi over to the left I can get in and out ok.

I'm hoping with the GTC I can fold the mirrors back before driving in and still get out, failing that I'm trying to dream up a way of getting it in and out without me in it....skates, trolley...something crazy like that.
How will you reverse without the mirrors out?

Thanks for explanation but you're right not needed, I'd have thought you're best off moving then getting a new car as I know I'd never rest thinking something could happen... every noise I'd be staring out the window lol

You're right the doors are huge and you need way more space... honestly I'd suggest it's not worth the hassle.

Using Tapatalk
I take it you're in a terraced house without front garden?
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 13:55:15)stigeye Wrote: I take it you're in a terraced house without front garden?

Yes and no.....see pic:

It looks as though you are sha##ed then mate. You will either have to live with trying to squeeze out of the GTC (if at all possible) or buy a different car.
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 15:42:51)stigeye Wrote: It looks as though you are sha##ed then mate. You will either have to live with trying to squeeze out of the GTC (if at all possible) or buy a different car.

Got my eye on this LOL! http://www.parkino.com/indexEN.html
Get the cascada... problem solved lol

Using Tapatalk
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 15:52:36)neilll Wrote:
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 15:42:51)stigeye Wrote: It looks as though you are sha##ed then mate. You will either have to live with trying to squeeze out of the GTC (if at all possible) or buy a different car.

Got my eye on this LOL! http://www.parkino.com/indexEN.html
Until it breaks and then you're screwed haha

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
parking sensors and reverse camera are a must for you then
To be fair parking in a tight space will make the sensors go crazy... they give so much room!

Using Tapatalk
(23:rd-Apr-2016, 19:58:01)J1ODYA Wrote: Get the cascada... problem solved lol

So.....I went to Poundland and bought four tennis balls, Screwfix for some spray glue, blagged some high density foam sheeting and a four foot tall block of Basotect.....oh yeah, also got myself a GTC Ltd Edition at the same time

Garage is 2350mm wide, the GTC is 2020mm, garage door opening is 2130mm.

Foam on the left wall, two suspended tennis balls six inches away from the left wall (early warning system LOL!), one suspended tennis ball in the middle so it hits my windscreen before I get to the end of the garage......I can just about get my ass out if I am careful.....good enough for me

Well done, and good thinking but sod that for hassle for me lol

Using Tapatalk
(30:th-Apr-2016, 18:46:13)J1ODYA Wrote: Well done, and good thinking but sod that for hassle for me lol

I'm stubborn and I liked the car so I'll suck it up......and try not to get any fatter LOL!
Nice one but me I would be too fat and get wedged in lol.

You have the color I wanted I just couldn't find any when I was looking
(30:th-Apr-2016, 19:16:25)bruce_19 Wrote: You have the color I wanted I just couldn't find any when I was looking

I've been looking for weeks and weeks and all the 1.6 110 Ltd Edition EcoFlexes have been dark blue or gunmetal.

I was about to give up and buy a white one (my second choice) when this one popped up in Durham. They moved it down to Bedford for me so I could look at it and I bought it yesterday.

I'm getting used to all the gadgets slowly, and six gears with Start/Stop, all a bit mental really after driving MK 4's for years LOL!

Hate the seats so might get some full black leather SRi seats or (maybe) some VXR seats.
Yeah I went from a corsa to the gtc best move I ever made has more gadgets and much more practical should have bought the gtc in the first place.

Yeah white was my second choice too but apparently the 3 I asked about where all sold the day they appeared on the website I think they just wanted my blue one gone.

I have the Sri and love the half leather seats very comfy and supportive especially when you try to go round a corner at speed.

My corsa has start stop but the gtc doesn't and it would probably be good as I appear to be in more and more start stop traffic every week.
Sod the interior, you got the biturb alloys with your car, they're the nicest wheels in the gtc range imho 
any decent pics of the car, looks nice from what i can see
(30:th-Apr-2016, 20:54:09)mrtc Wrote: any decent pics of the car, looks nice from what i can see

Yeah I'll take some pix and maybe start my own thread....only just got it today.

It's nice and clean, ex-demo 15 plate so not a 'RepMobile'
(30:th-Apr-2016, 20:54:09)mrtc Wrote: any decent pics of the car, looks nice from what i can see

Here you go https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2431

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back-order parts through garage JackDako 3 3,464 5:th-Apr-2018, 08:39:19
Last Post: JackDako
  Garage scratched my wheels. pope30 3 5,376 14:th-Jun-2015, 21:02:52
Last Post: Nickmagicfingers1981