Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
problems mpg

MPG problems
So I have a 1.4 turbo auto (I know its an auto but I need one) which I have had for 3 weeks now. I didn't pay attention to the MPG for the first week as it was the fuel that came with the car so once I filled up a week later and reset the average mpg.

So I have driven it for 2 weeks and used a tank of fuel and done about 250 - 300 miles and the computer is telling me I am getting 27.5 mpg which I think is rather low. Now I do 20 mins to work in the morning 10 mins above 40 and 10 mins start stop max and on the way home its 20mins of back roads but most of the time about 40 - 60 6 miles to work and 9 miles home.

I do go for a drive once a week which is a total of 30 miles which again is 60mph. 

The book figures are urban 32.8 extra urban 52.3 combined 42.8 now I know this is in ideal conditions and to expect a little less but I'm sure I should see 32-35 mpg for my combined travel.

The history on the car goes it was bought new in November 2013 and serviced on if first birthday then not till the dealer got the car in for sale. I bought it from a Vauxhall dealer and they assured me it was serviced with the book stamped by them dated a month prior to my buying the car it has only got 15900 on the clock so I wondering if there is anything I should check to see if it was actually serviced properly or what I should try to increase the mpg.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Couldn't you reset the mpg and go on your once a week 60mph run and see what the avg mpg figure is and then do the same with your daily commute one morning and see what the results are for that run. This way you can see if the car is especially under performing on just urban runs or urban and extra urban combined.
Yeah I will give that a try I reset it today after filling up which is only about 2 miles from the office but I will reset for my work run tomorrow morning then on Friday before I do my longer run and post the results.

I might pull the air filter and spark plugs this weekend and see what condition they are in. If they need replacing then I would assume that the oil hasn't been done either and I will change them myself if that is the case.
I got a 1.4 limited edition turbo manual most I've seen mine is 35mpg and that was a 2hr run.
So it could just be what I am going to get but I will see if I can find a way of increasing it. I have also been reading on other forum of people increasing the performance by quite a bit but I'm interested in getting the mpg up and if Hay comes with added performance then another plus.

At the weekend I will look at the air filter and spark plugs and go from their.
If you find a way let me know my car run in at 17k now never gone higher than 35mpg
To be honest that MPG sounds right compared with your journeys.

You can map the car or get a tuning box but again reality is you'll not get much more.

Also do not trust the trip computer and calculate your true MPG by starting full then emptying the tank a couple of times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Well if it is its kind of crap that I'm just above VXR fuel consumption with none of the benefits lol.

The figures I am getting are nearly half what Vauxhall claim even though when I was looking for a car it was one of the selling points.

I know it would never be the same but you done expect to be that far away its almost half what I was getting out my 1ltr turbo Corsa too.

I know I will never get to the claimed figures but anywhere above the 30 mark on average will be good.

This has to be the worst car I have owned for false fuel consumption figures and I've owned 23 in my time.
One of the biggest complaints about the J is the MPG not matching book figures. I never even looked at the MPG figures in the book when I ordered mine I wanted a 2.0CDTI and that was that, I get some people by a car based MPG etc etc but no one will ever get the same MPG as we all drive different and carry different loads etc.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Very true Rusty we do all drive different. I did originally have a 1.7 and 2 ltr diesel picked out but they apparently sold them before I arrived and like I said it was the MPG that attracted me away for the diesel as they said what the figures where.

I don't drive too hard most of the time because I can be stuck in traffic round any corner on the way to work. It is just me in the car and a laptop.

Don't get me wrong I love the car and the MPG isn't too big a deal but if it can be improved I will try my best to do it. I drove my Impreza getting 18mpg and loved it smiles per gallon was way better than miles per gallon.

I have a few things some mechanic friends have recommended and if they work even just a little I will be happy and will post my outcome. I wont be starting this till next month once I get a month of driving as is then have a base line to work from. I will be changing things one at a time then noting the increase or decrease per item hopefully so others can gain from it.
I did chose my Astra based on its claimed MPG, although I found for my budget Circa £10K and wanting a relatively new car there wasnt a lot of choice

I must admit for the first couple of months I was pretty pissed off with the MPG, especially compared to work colleagues driving Skodas and getting high 50s/low 60s mpg, however, I am now seeing low 50s and combined with the tuning box and I am having much more fun in the car

What made me feel better was when my assistant got a Corsa VXR and only sees 22mpg !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rear electric windows & front fogs problems... Griifter 18 7,426 30:th-Aug-2018, 20:01:30
Last Post: Griifter
  HID problems Jon3sy 5 4,063 9:th-Jul-2017, 17:22:22
Last Post: Jon_es
  Evans halshaw problems and fixes Cameron UK 12 8,295 21:st-Jun-2014, 18:23:40
Last Post: Rusty2009