Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
chrome painting

Painting Chrome
Well as above I am thinking of painting the chrome round the door and window.

I'm not a fan of all that shinny stuff to be honest I was think about painting it back as well as the front grill and badge on the rear.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if there was a step by step guide.

Just looking for ideas as to how to get the paint to stick to chrome. I was thinking just giving it a good key then undercoat, paint then some lacquer.

Thanks for the input.
Ive painted my door strips black and the front grill. Get some sand paper and give the chrome strips a good rough up before painting, This part is key because the surface is to smooth and the paint will begin to flake off otherwise. Once its roughed up apply a few light coats and wait until its dry. Rough up the base coat again with a fine grit sand paper and apply a few layers of top coat. Then repeat with the lacquer.

do you have a gtc or a 5 door?
That's for getting back to me Shorty I have a GTC

Funnily enough I have been reading people's project threads and I read yours after posting the above, cracking car by the way, but it had to be approved by the moderators before it would post.

I only have the 1.4 turbo auto but I think it can be made a little more responsive and also look a little more stealthy if that makes sense.

My idea is to make the car blend in and not have part that scream look at me with my bling lol
Thanks mate

I know what you mean, some folk like the chrome but personally I think it better suits older cars. 
The chrome strips come off easily enough. The one on the drivers door just pulls off. the ones on the rear window and the little small window next to the mirror slide out. They can be a bit of a pain to get back on though.
I'd happily swap my black trim for your chrome trim!

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

sheppy each to their own.

I can appreciate a nice looking car even if it isn't to my taste but I do think the chrome on the 5 door is ok but on the GTC just looks unfinished and the front end looks too in your face for my liking.

My wife has a Kia Sorento and I love the chrome on it I think it really finishes off the car.

I have black paint ready to go but I think I will wait till I have the rest of the thinks I'm looking to do externally and get it all done in one go I'm even thinking of a gloss back wrap for the roof and wing mirrors but still undecided.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  painting calipers evo 12 6,341 19:th-Jun-2016, 22:06:27
Last Post: stigeye
  Brake caliper painting pricee 12 7,394 2:nd-Apr-2016, 14:17:00
Last Post: sheppy1
  Painting engine covers mrtc 3 4,000 30:th-Mar-2016, 08:18:21
Last Post: bhalay207
  Chrome Window Trim sheppy1 30 20,552 23:rd-Oct-2015, 16:30:37
  Window switch chrome Rusty2009 25 11,962 8:th-Sep-2015, 10:57:44