Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a off go after help seconds few hids

HIDS go off after a few seconds.. Help!
Hi guys

I fitted a set of 6000k HIDS today and they work fine with the engine off, but if I start the car they will switch on then after a few seconds they flicker and go off, then won't come back on until I turn the engine off then switch them off then back on again.

Help?

PS please no slating that I don't have projectors! :) 

What hid kit is this the power pack sounds faulty or the two clips you push in to the original bulb holder have come out they often will do this
Never used a HID kit and I'll ignore the fact you have no proctors as you asked nicely   .

I would agree with Tucpal tho must a faulty ballast or connection somewhere, are you getting any check lamp errors on dash? When on/off?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I think it might be something the car side as I can have the ignition on and they stay on fine but if I have the engine running and put them on they come on fine then after a few seconds they both flicker at the same time and go off. All fittings are tight and secure.

It's just an eBay special set.

Cheers
i will put some pics of the connectors that can come out tomorrow for you
if it is not them it will be a faulty ballast

the most common mistake is having the red and black wires
that fit the bulb holder the wrong way around 
or they can fall out if the connectors are to small when they are tucked inside the headlight
so check they are all correct if that fails it will be the ballasts 

Those are fine all tight connections & they only work one way, I doubt its the ballast as they work fine if I don't start the car?!
but the lights should not come on when the ignition is off
can you hear the ballasts kick in when the lights are turned on
like a buzzing sound maybe best to put some pics up of what you have been sent
Are getting errors come up on the dash?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
You've misunderstood me tucpal

If I switch the ignition on to 'II' so the dash lights come on, you can switch the headlights on.. The HIDS work fine then and stay on as long as I want.

However if I start the engine, they go off after a few seconds, same if I switch them on when the engine is running.

When I switch them on, they come on for probably 5 seconds then flicker once and go off.. As if they lose power. The ballasts have no power after that and I then get dash bulb check errors. No errors when they do work though.

I'm fairly certain it's a canbus error or a voltage drop when the engine is running. Il try them in our Mini today & see if they work as that's not canbus
they are 35w ballasts if you are using 55w you may have problems
They are 55w ballasts but that should make no difference, halogen bulbs are 50w, I'm fairly certain it's just these ballasts are sold as canbus friendly but they're not. Gonna open an eBay dispute case I think!
ok you need to turn the ignition on and run the car for a bit
this will help the ballast store power then turn the headlights on
if they do not kick in then they are faulty as the ballast has not drawn and stored any power

a 55w Hid kit will draw more power and not last as long as a 35w hid kit
may also not like canceling error codes due to taking more power
also they may not work well and flicker on start up
as the ballasts need time to draw and store more power then a 35w kit does
i would advice you scrap the cheap hid kit altogether

if you want one that does work get this

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-35w-canb...rsion-kit/

also i would stick to no more than 5000k as 6000k are just super blue
and the light output is very poor i use 4500k and they are real good and better for vision
also you better adjust your lights to the lowest setting possible
truthfully your going to have problem seeing at night
with 6000k and your headlights pointing at the floor
do you have auto lights if so try it in Manuel
shot in the dark but worth a try
Sounds like the BCM is turning power off to the lights. Even canbus ballasts can cause problems on these cars. I've only ever used HIDS Direct and not had a single problem.

I'm certainly glad you don't live near me 55w hids in halogen unit you'd get a big flash of proper xenon headlights.

Sorry for the rant but this is my worst pet hate as its so dangerous
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No Tucpal just manual lights.

I agree Cornishtaz, I think it's the car cutting the power out. Il try some HIDS Direct ones once I've got some spare cash.

Don't apologise for the rant, I expected it from someone but it's not what the thread is about so its fine!
try the ones in the above link they work perfect
Yeah I will when I have some spare money, all my spare cash is going on my 309 at the moment!
is the 309 a GTI i used to own one years ago
I wish! Lol

Blast from the past I did love it but it got nicked
Old Peugeot cars are so comfortable. I'd love either a 205 or 405 gti to do up.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Got a refund on these now so I'm going to order a more expensive set.

Tucpal do you get any dash errors/warning lights etc with the HIDS-Direct ones?

Thanks
Not at all there error free they are the business well worth it
Nice one, I've just emailed them to see if any of their other ones work as they have a few on offer for £35-£40ish at the moment.
Ordered the ones you linked tucpal but H7R as they're going in my oem units
They will work perfectly
Cheers for the help, looking forward to it now
@tucpal I'm thinking of getting a set of HIDs but don't want them to be too blue. Do cars standard with xenons come out with 4300k?

I want better illumination as opposed to blueness

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
factory HIDS are 4300k
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
As above 4300 is perfect for vision on the road and looks oem and not blue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooling Fan coming on for a few seconds DaPa 0 2,576 5:th-Aug-2017, 19:43:32
Last Post: DaPa
HIDS-Direct Discount Code Hids-Direct-Adam 1 3,440 26:th-May-2016, 11:31:52
Last Post: tucpal
  Would this work with HIDS? Jj0063 1 3,157 10:th-Jan-2016, 22:42:51
Last Post: Jj0063
  Hids and Drls Fitted :hyper: DE5IRED 12 7,876 15:th-Mar-2015, 13:26:14
Last Post: DE5IRED