Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
fin shark

Shark Fin
Hey All!

So I've been wanting to get a shark fin to replace my long Ariel but from everything I've read it seems like this would always affect my signal, anyone know otherwise or am I better off just not bothering?

Thanks

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

I think Rusty found a decent one to replace it, but that comes at a cost of over £100!!!

I'd love a fin, but dont want to lose reception.
Calearo would be the way to go mate they aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.

When I can I'm buying one of theses.

http://www.npautoparts.co.uk/car-audio-c...ial-p79676

http://www.npautoparts.co.uk/car-audio-c...ial-p79678
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Or fit the radio moduals to the rear window and fit a Dummy sharkfin
Ooooo I like those! Think I've seen something similar by a different manufacturer on a US site. They don't seem too pricey tbh...Can't afford one yet though. Thanks for the links though will save those.

Don't you already have a shark fin though?

(18:th-Apr-2015, 21:01:34)WhelanUK Wrote: Or fit the radio moduals to the rear window and fit a Dummy sharkfin

How do you do that then mate?

You'll find all the info on this thread:

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Rear-window-FM

Moduals are about £25 each so in total about the same as a decent sharkfin but would keep everything factory. I decided against it as got DAB and haven't used FM since I got the car. Might do it eventually.

Another option is install DAB then fit a dummy sharkfin like I did. DAB has to be best feature I have on car.
Cheers mate! looking like I'd need the whole window though so maybe not as cheap as just getting the shark find that rusty linked too..

Lemme take a look at the CD400 DAB tutorial and see which is the better option just info gathering atm though

Not really sure it's worth me going all out and installing DAB as i NEVER turn the radio on...Just after the cool looking shark fin and the option to use the radio when others are in the car and wanna listen to it...hence why I still want it to work

Have you checked your window to see if you have the tabs?
I'll go have a quick look now tucpal did take a look when I saw him a few weeks back though and he said I didn't have them :(

Yep don't have them :(

no you do not i looked when i meet you

retro fit or dont bother i am still yet to see an after market one that actually works well
i may be proved wrong but i am very confidante i am correct
Fair doos! Not worth the retrofit to be honest as I wouldn't use the radio anyway, was just wanting the fin.

Can the tabs not be fit into the pads? I've just looked at mine and it looks like I have the ariels in the window just not the tabs

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
(20:th-Apr-2015, 16:50:38)bhalay207 Wrote: Can the tabs not be fit into the pads? I've just looked at mine and it looks like I have the ariels in the window just not the tabs

I'm sure yours is the same as mine dude...

@tucpal thinks they are soldered on IIRC but you need to find what they are first.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
@sheppy1 Yeah I think it is but you can seen the elements in the class and where the pad would go, just missing the pad itself.

@Rusty2009 let the investigation begin

the tabs are soldered onto the plates but it is finding them i looked everywhere
but they only come as part of the glass
I might drop pilkington an email and see if they can help me. Assuming you haven't already @tucpal

i am sure they are more or less the same type of connectors
you fine on top off a square battery i never tried but they look very much alike

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement Shark Fin Telsun 12 5,281 21:st-Jan-2019, 18:18:17
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Shark fin for cd400 chrisb2511 10 31,402 10:th-Aug-2016, 07:21:51
  Shark fin options Cameron UK 4 8,481 31:st-Jul-2014, 07:07:28
  Is the shark on these ? mark240590 12 13,356 11:th-Jul-2014, 10:52:54
Last Post: tucpal