Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
research trip computer change

Trip Computer Change (research)
there are certain people out there and not from this forum who dont even own a astra j but seem to know everything about them
and are telling everyone things can not be done and also giving incorrect info but as i have said you never know till you try.
i was surprised it worked myself but as always it just needs the correct info and someone with the never and persistence to find out.

the only issue others would have is the extra menus would still need to activated and they would have to find a dealer to reprogram the mileage
Shame you don't live closer I'd of done it for the £10 it costs me.

just get the dealer to disable the reminder package and that will knock off the warning for coolant and washer.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
tucpal Wrote:there are certain people out there and not from this forum who dont even own a astra j but seem to know everything about them
and are telling everyone things can not be done and also giving incorrect info but as i have said you never know till you try.
i was surprised it worked myself but as always it just needs the correct info and someone with the never and persistence to find out.

the only issue others would have is the extra menus would still need to activated and they would have to find a dealer to reprogram the mileage

Haha not good that! But that's the nature of the internet really isn't it...anyone could tell you anything and you have no idea if they're making it up or not! This for has been a godsend with regards to helping me with all the things I've wanted to do for my car anyway! .

Yeah they would wouldn't they...how come those options aren't enabled by default anyway?? Not like they're diagnostic menus or anything is it :-/
[MENTION=1]Rusty2009[/MENTION] it is a shame that :( knowing VX they probably will charge me full whack too! Thanks anyway though dude . Yeah I'll tell them to do that, really not fussed about those extra options anyway. Will just leave a note with them telling them not to touch my other options!!! Haha

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

What you will find mate is when they do the programming it will just reset it to factory so they WILL HAVE TURN THEM BACK ON.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Awwww balls! Will they do that then or are they just gonna complain and say they can't do it? Because these are the ones I went too in the first place who told me they couldn't activate these extra features :-/

Also below are the photos of the IPC from my car with the small screen. The screen was never gonna come off because it's soldered to the board!!

[ATTACH]488[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]489[/ATTACH]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

well that is good know it can not be swapped over then
just say it had them and to put them back on just get it to the dealers and see what happens
there have been a few that have done the extra menus no problem it all depends if they can be bothered
Fair enough...well I'll tell them that I know what Menus are on there and that I expect it back with those menus if I'm paying for this service! Ha.

Fingers crossed they will be able to do it because I don't fancy being stuck without a mileage :P lol

Look in my trader section there is a thread there for the IPC there is a video in that showing how to turn on the extra menus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yeah I saw that mate, they just instructions for a dealer then?

Yes as some dealers say it can't be done I put a video up lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hahaha right well if they try and claim that, I'll show them the video! Cheers dude! It's booked in next Saturday anyway so will see what they come back with lol

I have just noticed one issue while driving it...the digital speedo is 5mph higher than the speedo dials! The dials are correct and the speedo isn't

Reset the speedo needle position
So take the whole thing apart again and just mess with them?

It could be down to fact the car it came off had different size wheels, I would say see what happens after it's all been set-up to your car as you said the needle is correct.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Okay here's the situation after I monitored it on my drive to work. The needle is correct...completely correct! As in it no longer has that 5 - 10 percent discrepancy.

For example: On my old IPC the dials would show 53 but I'd actually only be doing 50 according to the satnav.

On my new IPC, the dials say I'm going 50 and the satnav also says I'm going 50 BUT the digital IPC display says I'm doing 53 lol.

So not sure if everyone knows but i had the issues with my mileage not showing on the clusters, instead they showed "----" this was because they needed to be coded to work with my car.

Unfortunately as the clocks hadn't been removed from the last persons car properly they couldn't just simply be coded to work with my car. After weeks of trial and error with random garages who knew very little about vauxhall I finally came across someone called ***** who said he could do it.

So I spent the day driving too and from his house and he was able to code them in for me . He had to use his own software to manually update the code on the new clusters. Once he did that, all worked fine!!

[ATTACH]523[/ATTACH]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

yes ***** is very good and glad you got it all working
Is that the guy over on ***?
yes

as always it can be done but the dealers really are not interested in taking the time to try and do it
but good work sheppy taking the time and risk to have a go and get it done
Yup! Exactly that tucpal, vauxhall rang me like 15 mins after they got my car and instantly said it can't be done...they didn't even bother to do anything other than what's in their manuals.

Cheers was happy to take the risk really and wanted to try and help others who may want to do the same as me...so if anyone has any questions, just ask . Thanks to everyone here who's offered me help and advice getting it working too.

***** was able to add the battery voltage and engine coolant temp to the display too

Would anyone have any idea where about the chip / eeprom is that stores the vin number on the instrument cluster, i can't seem to see if after opening it up.
Ignore the red circles but this is the board from my old, small screen cluster but the black chip on the left of the screen is the eeprom

Would imagine it would be the same on the large screen one (i can remember off the top of my head)

(30:th-Apr-2016, 10:54:52)sheppy1 Wrote: Ignore the red circles but this is the board from my old, small screen cluster but the black chip on the left of the screen is the eeprom

Would imagine it would be the same on the large screen one (i can remember off the top of my head)

Do you mean the large one at the top left or smaller one in the middle?
Not sure which you mean mate bit I mean the one with the 4 silver pins in each corner that is right next to the top left side of the white screen surround

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hey I'm about to try and do this on our lasses car any tips before I get started thanks in advance for the help she has the 1.6 excite don't know where they thought of that name cos there's nothing exciting about it has nothing on it so a lot of retro fit is in order starting with this as she wants the better trip computer
(20:th-Jun-2017, 19:09:42)Sh4rk2007 Wrote: Hey I'm about to try and do this on our lasses car any tips before I get started thanks in advance for the help she has the 1.6 excite don't know where they thought of that name cos there's nothing exciting about it has nothing on it so a lot of retro fit is in order starting with this as she wants the better trip computer

What Cruise control button does she have?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
its the one on the steering wheel if that helps same as I have and I have the big screen
Apparently there's non-trivial differences between the uplevel and uplevel-combi display that makes upgrading infeasible. So this will be a replacement job it seems.
A lot of trip computers to be found on ebay but I'm unsure how to tell the different versions apart, aside from powering them up. Can we see from the part # what kind of display we're dealing with?
I've just went with the sri version of the 1.6 car I have so it's near enough the same engine
Sorry to reply to an old thread, i have a meriva B (2011 cdti) and really want the mpg displays and that in the instrument cluster,

anyone know if i was to get a cluster from a scrap yard with the larger display in it, would it need to be from another meriva, or can i get one from say an astra... as meriva's are not really the kinds of cars people bothered with the higher spec stuff it seems, then is it a case of finding someone with the relevent computer stuff to code it to my car (i have a vaux-com/op-com clone, but i've buggered things up more than fixed things with that (lost some of my instrument warning lights playing about trying ti enable mpg display... before i realised my display is the 2 line version and couldnt display mpg anyay)

i realise i'll also need the indicator stalk with the menu button on it.. but these usually have cruise controll buttons on it too... i have these on the steering wheel, will having another set of cruise buttons screw things up, or can i get a different stalk just for the button to operate the trip computer's menu's?
(28:th-Jan-2018, 20:07:29)gazz292 Wrote: Sorry to reply to an old thread, i have a meriva B (2011 cdti) and really want the mpg displays and that in the instrument cluster,

anyone know if i was to get a cluster from a scrap yard with the larger display in it, would it need to be from another meriva, or can i get one from say an astra... as meriva's are not really the kinds of cars people bothered with the higher spec stuff it seems, then is it a case of finding someone with the relevent computer stuff to code it to my car (i have a vaux-com/op-com clone, but i've buggered things up more than fixed things with that (lost some of my instrument warning lights playing about trying ti enable mpg display... before i realised my display is the 2 line version and couldnt display mpg anyay)

i realise i'll also need the indicator stalk with the menu button on it.. but these usually have cruise controll buttons on it too... i have these on the steering wheel, will having another set of cruise buttons screw things up, or can i get a different stalk just for the button to operate the trip computer's menu's?

I've replied to other thread.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change language of IPC gazz292 2 6,562 11:th-Feb-2018, 09:01:45
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Car vision satnav provider change dazzzdelux 3 7,309 7:th-Jan-2017, 18:50:29
Last Post: Rusty2009