VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: Trip Computer Change (research)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all,

So I'm looking to start something ambitious here...Basically I wan't to swap out the instrument cluster i have for another one with the larger screen and white dial surround (one from a higher model basically).

Now from what I have read online (nothing related to the J though, just older astras) i should be able to purchase the following device:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-DIAGNOSTIC-...20f79d91d5

Which will then allow me to carry out the coding needed to unpair the current instrument cluster i have and then install and pair a new cluster.

Now is this something that can actually be done or does it not apply to new astras?

Thanks
No it wont recode it as there is no code to add or remove
it will most likely be vin locked to the car
rusty may have an idea but if it can be done then only an MDI and VCI Code may be needed
but i would think that would only be possible with a brand new unit.

you can however activate some of the menus but again an MDI is needed rusty will fill you in on that one.
Ahhhh that may have been a pre J thing then. If those codes are needed then how would I program them into the new unit/my car?

Thanks btw Smile really want to get this done!
you wont be able to and if it is possible with a new unit you would have to ask vauxhall to send a VCI code
rusty, vauxhall etc can do that with the MDI but the opcom will not do that at all and doesn't really do alot on the astra j
rusty will no if it does anything.

and the newer menu type will not be possible to update.
It's not been done as of yet, my understanding is this.

When you replace a module you plug the MDI on then tell it you are removing it.

This I believe deletes the stored info and then it can be programmed into a new car.

NO ONE KNOWS THIS FOR SURE ITS STILL ALL GUESS WORK ON A LOT OF THINGS.

Unless you £2000 for an MDI then willing to pay £15 reg fee then £10 for an hours session, you also need a company to get access to the main Programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No scrap yard will have a MDI

Okie dokie, well I'm willing to give it a shot Smile I've found an instrument cluster in ebay and the seller says it's been tech 2 reset...is this the same as what you're saying about plugging the MDI device in and telling it that you're removing it?

Thanks for your help btw guys!
the tech2 is very limited on the J and I'm pretty sure they wont be able to reset it.

If you want to give it shot I'm happy to help programming it (would have to charge the cost the GM charge me).

I very much doubt you will find a dealer that could or would do something like this it's a very limited few who have outside access to the MDI and SPS functions.
Ahhh right okay, well I'll have to get in touch with the garage selling the instrument cluster anyway. There's actually an eBay seller near me who says they gave access to MDI and Tech 2 who will install and program anything for £55.

Thanks aswell mate, if I do go ahead with this then I may end up needing to ask you to help out! Smile what would GM charge you anyway?

Also is there anything I should be asking the garage to ensure that the instrument cluster is actually going to be use able in my car? And do you see any issues arising with the functions of the new trip computer screen not working?
And let's say they haven't reset or properly, will anyone be able to reset it ready to go into my car or would it all need to have been done when it was connected to the original car?
Gm charge £10 then the bank charges me a conversion fee so it works out around £12 per hour or you can do it via the day at £40 + the conversion fee whatever that is.

The problem is simple the IPC is coded and it's all programmed with set bits of software to turn on off different things, this is where you could face problems.
[MENTION=2]tucpal[/MENTION] & [MENTION=19]Lewis6317[/MENTION] have the large display already and just have a basic display they may be able to request a VCI code and get the more advanced display software but again I'm just guessing at this.

As said until it's been done no-one knows for sure what will be needed etc, When I did the AFL everyone said it wont work & you wont get the VCI codes from GM but I did.

A third party has more chance of success with this type of stuff than a dealer.
You need the original car mate, no one still knows for sure if things can be devoiced from the J TBH.

If you can access the Eprom then you could clear it I know its been done on the H
Does the VCI code just add functionality to the IPC then or does it just enable it? Also how do you go about getting the VCI code that's needed?
The codes allows you to download the new software for the retrofit so when I did the AFL I needed the following

A VCI for the BCM to tell it to remove the halogen software and install the AFL software, Headlamp wash software & new light switch software.
A VCI for the IPC to tell the IPC I had AFL installed to allow error message related to the AFL system.

To request a VCI code you need to have a company and have applied for the access though GM.

Quote:Service Programming System (SPS) of ECU's *Many of the Electronic Control Units (ECU) are reprogrammable so that the software running on those units can be replaced by other software.
A new Service ECU can be programmed with the appropriate software as well. TIS2Web allows the transfer of new software to those ECUs using a Diagnostic Tool.
To start, ECU data is read out with a Diagnostic Tool and then transferred to TIS2Web. The new program will be selected and transferred to the Diagnostic Tool. Then, the programming of the ECU can be started.

Security Access *
'Security Access' prevents unauthorized programming of vital functions in vehicles.

Some of the programming functions that use the Tech 2 are inaccessible without the enabling through TIS2Web. Some of the inaccessible programming functions that need 'Security Access' for their performance are:

•Programming of the immobilizer
•Programming of the transponder key
In order to perform these programming procedures it is necessary to get security access from TIS2Web

Quote:For the initial access a one time registration fee of 15,00 EUR will be applied for any new user account registration.

A handling fee of 3,90 % will be added for any purchased subscriptions.

* The access to Service Programming System and Security Access modules are subject to specific conditions for safety and security-related reasons. For more details see Chapter 6 of Terms & Conditions.

Quote:6. Terms & Conditions for Service Programming System and Security Access
The access to security-relevant vehicle functions is subject to the user obtaining a D-U-N-S number according to the procedure shown in the Enhanced Access request area.

6.1. The user agrees to provide Opel, represented by its local National Sales Companies, upon request, access to customer and repair history data in case of a legal complaint or a warranty dispute.

6.2. It is agreed that Opel shall not use the customer and repair history data for any other purposes (including commercial purposes) than the one provided in section 6.1 above.
And is that what you're able to request then for the prices you listed in your previous post? i'm currently trying to find out if auto vaux or car parts connexion have the IPC as new so then I can rule out any issues with buying one from eBay that may not have been unpaired correctly but not sure what the part numbers would be for the type of IPC I want :(
Yes I have access to SPS etc, PM your REG and I'll see if I can track down the part number for you.
Sent mate Smile
Responded mate
Dunno if I already said this but yeah, looking like this isn't gonna make financial sense even if it can be done! The person local to me THINKS he can get a new one coded in but it would keep the mileage from the last persons car. A new IPC would cost 300 off quid so not worth it.
This may sound like a crazy idea, but if you could find a cheap IPC on eBay with the full size display I wonder if the display could be swapped over.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself...but it's all soldered onto the board at the rear isn't it? Also wouldn't it still need coding to display the extra features of the new display?

Also wouldn't the car kick up a fuss because it's detecting a different display?
I don't know mate not opened one of yours up.

facny opening yours up?

how-to here see if it's the same

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...Conversion

i can't say 100% this would work but could be worth a try.
I'm not sure that would work...surely the screen would be programmed into the cluster itself, some chip on it somewhere that tells the car which screen is in the cluster so it know which info to display on it...so if it didn't see the one it was expecting then I'm guessing it wouldn't show anything at all on it...can't see it just working and showing everything i want it to show...
The screen it's self won't need programming as that just displays the info.

I would of thought there is deffo an erprom chip on the board.

It's just a thought you never know you have to try these things to see if it works.

Yanno what...I think I might just get one off ebay and try it! I want to try and strip the white instrument surround from one anyway as mine just got a black surround if you know what I'm referring too...
As all I'm gonna do is take the screen from an old one, do you think it matters which one I buy? Not sure how I'd tell which has what type of screen without seeing it turned on though and on ebay they don't show that
Yes mate I know what you mean advise though try and get from a drev without S/S as you don't have S/S.
I'm having a look for you now mate
Thanks dude! You know way more about this than I do! As I say worst comes to worst I'll just try and rip the white dials out of it and get the leds working to illuminate it Smile gonna have to be a job for the end of the month though
These one's looks good matches you build range too mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vauxha...27e0f963a2 £40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vauxha...2a45478e72 £30

Here's an image from EPC you have the top one 13433770
and the one's I linked to above are 3rd down 133433781

[Image: Dash.jpg]
Cheers mate! Funnily enough I already had the top one in my watch list Wink haha.

Hoping it will be there in a few weeks when I get paid! Be good to see if this does work as I'm sure others would love to know if you can simply swap the screens! Smile
It has to worth a worth a try mate, Tell you what thou mate I'll buy the needles off you.
Okay dude, we can sort that out when I buy it Smile. May try to get it this week if finances allow! Ha. Do you see me having issues taking the white trim off those and installing it onto mine?

Just looked at your led guide again and it seems that bit would be easy but getting them to light up may be harder!
no problems at all mate the LEDS used light the dials also lights the rings up, you may find you need to swap the inner plastic bit though hence why I said make sure it's from a DREV.

I mean the back of the dials (part at the back of this pic)

[Image: 13.jpg]
Ahhh good stuff! And by DREV do you mean one from a diesel car? If so the ones listed would be suitable wouldn't they?
Yes mate I do and yes they are.
Cool! Gonna try and haggle him down a bit Wink it's annoying because I'd happily spend a few days tackling this and not rushing it like I usually have to do but can't have the dials missing from my car for days on end lol

Looking forward to seeing if this works and also getting those glowing white dial surrounds too! But not to getting the IPC out of my car! Seems like it's gonna be a ball ache
Bought the cluster Smile can I ask why you need these specific needles? Lol
Lol nice which ones did you go for the £30 or £40 set?

I snapped the small black clips taking on off Buried, also I want to try doing a colour change.
Oooo sounds good that does! So does one of your dials not work now? Lol. I went for the 40 quid set ad they sounded like they were in better condition but got him to lower the price to £35 Wink
All my needles work mate it's just the top black cover over the top to hind what's under it.

Fair play mate to get the IPC out is about 10 minute job.
Ahhh yeah I know what you mean! Well we can sort something out when it comes and when I have chance to take it apart! Can't wait to see if this works!
Any idea if the plastic around the small screen is part of the IPC and cannot be removed or will it slot right out with the screen? [ATTACH]454[/ATTACH]
I would say it's like my pic above a clear bit of plastic covering the panel.

i would say the panel just has a black out area.
Yeah that's what I thought too but just wanted to check Smile well I'll take it all apart when it turns up so I understand what goes where and then I'll try and find a time in a week or so when I can actually do the work. I'll be able to send you the needles before I do the work anyway Smile
I can't wait to give this a go! Tempted to book a day off work so I have all day to do it! Wink ha. In two minds as to whether it will work or not though...if not i'll still be getting the white rings off it which is something i wanted Smile
It's one of them things mate untill it's tried we won't know.
Yup! If it doesn't work then I can just remove the screen and put mine back in without issue can't i?
i will move this over to rerto fit research so we can keep it up to date as this may go somewhere if it works

i have not seen that small display before ??
Yeah and fingers crossed it will! Smile I'll try and take photos where possible so we can add them in to a how too.

Haha yeah it sucks doesn't it! Shows me loads of info now but it offends my eyes when the rest of the car is taking shape!
Pages: 1 2 3