Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
squeaking questions rust noise quality brakes

Brakes questions - squeaking noise, rust, quality.
Hello guys,

Did a 60,000 KM service exactly one month ago.
I changed the front and rear pads + the rear discs, along with other things.

The car brakes fine, but there's a really annoying squeaking noise.
I called the garage and they said that there shouldn't be any squeaking noise at all, even if the discs and pads aren't original.
I'm gonna go there next week, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

1) Is squeaking normal with brand new discs and pads?

2) I have a lot of dust on my alloys, is it related to the quality of the pads?

3) I also have a lot of rust..or yellowish stuff on the rear discs - How normal is that? I saw more then a few cars with polished, silver, out of the box looking discs..nothing like mine. Is there a way to avoid it? Or is it quality related as well?

4) If I would to improve my "braking ability" - Is there a recommended discs/pads company out there in the market? (fitting an Astra J obviously). I heard of REMSA & LUCAS, but I know nothing about them. (Just for the sake of knowledge - Money is no object).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Discs will get rust on the nothing you can do about that.

sometimes I have brake squeal when the disc have a bit of rust on that comes off under normal braking, once that's gone the squeal goes.

Some people have found the GM pads produce a lot of brake dust I Delphi on the front when they needed replacing and found them to produce far less brake dust (Delphi make the pads for Vauxhall).

When you fitted the new pads did you apply a dab of grease to the back of pads? This is good to use
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-ac...&0&cc5_150
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks Rusty.

Tried braking, cleaning the wheel - nothing helped. Still squeaking.
I didn't fit the pads myself, the garage did. Hope they used some sort of grease.

Can you comment on my 4th question?
I've not looked into uprating my brakes see no point it will stop on its nose quickly enough.

Have you tried going down a dual carriageway doing 70-80 come off at slip and brake all the way down?

Unless of course the road quite and you can it without using the slip.

Is the squeak there all the time or just under braking?

Changing the brake fluid every 20K helps keeps the brakes sharpe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
as above the yellow rust is common on any car mostly this will happen when the discs get wet

as for squeaking the problem is the slider pins
will need to be greased and the back of the pads
most garages just blow of the dust off and slap the pads in job done
the slider pins and back of the pads should have some new grease
and the pad holding clips should be replaced
and also have some grease in them
this stops the pad from sticking and making noise
this cures it most of the time
we do have a how to for pad removal

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...oval-5Door

you can use this on the back of the pads
and holding clips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190798339477?_...EBIDX%3AIT

and this on the slider pins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281474187432?_...EBIDX%3AIT
welcome by the way also what car do you want to upgrade the brakes on GTC astra j and engine size needed for that question
Quote:Have you tried going down a dual carriageway doing 70-80 come off at slip and brake all the way down?

Unless of course the road quite and you can it without using the slip.

Is the squeak there all the time or just under braking?

Rusty,
I'll try and do that.
The squeak is there only under braking at very low speed. Like before a traffic light.
Anyhow, I washed the car the other day, cleaned the wheels properly and the squeaking kinda stopped.
Maybe it is all dust related. Weird.

tucpal,
Thanks for the grease tips and links. I'm pretty sure that the garage doesn't use any of it.
Quote:what car do you want to upgrade the brakes on GTC astra j and engine size needed for that question
I have an Astra J hatchback, 1.4 turbo, 2012.
Any suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High pitched noise (Astra OPC J) maximame 0 4,479 24:th-Mar-2021, 08:34:13
Last Post: maximame
  Electrik brake noise!! blacknik 1 4,798 24:th-Feb-2020, 08:57:02
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Noise when clutch 1/4 depressed 2013 Astra J Galway11 0 8,033 27:th-Jun-2019, 22:40:04
Last Post: Galway11
  Strange noise from passenger side when driving slowly/stationary and just taking off irishastraowner 3 3,529 16:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:36
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Astra J 2.0 cdti noise on cold start up Iaintruten 3 6,098 17:th-Jan-2018, 17:26:31
Last Post: Iaintruten
  GTC Rust Dan1992 3 4,186 8:th-Jun-2017, 13:05:22
Last Post: Dan1992
  squeaking clutch peddle tucpal 10 17,358 18:th-Dec-2016, 20:13:20
Last Post: panelman
  Water Noise Sloshing sheppy1 22 23,937 15:th-Oct-2016, 11:16:57
Last Post: andy2174
  Whirring noise richje100 13 16,121 20:th-Mar-2016, 15:32:00
Last Post: Jj0063
  Boot noise?? Anyone help me?? LukeAstra15 4 5,217 16:th-Feb-2016, 21:38:45
Last Post: bhalay207