Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
fan strange cooling behavior

Cooling Fan Strange Behavior
Hi guys , hope someone have a clue on what happening with my car
Sometimes the cooling fan won't stop, and others it just blow for few seconds as i turn on the ignition, and sometimes it just work fine, also have a message ''Car service necessary'' pop out with the strange behavior of the Fan ???
the car is a 2012 1.6 turbo with just over 30000 miles on it.
Thanks for help
I know the fan can run on a bit after driving if the engine is hot, you have 3 stages.

1. slow speed (quite)
2. Mid speed (still quite but you can hear it)
3. Fast speed (very loud)

I've not heard of this happening before when starting the car though and if a message is popping up it would indicate a problem somewhere and it may well pay to have the car plugged in and any fault codes read and cleared, I'm in Bournemouth if that helps and very cheap for fault code reading and clearing.

It maybe as simple as a dodgy relay I'll look the relays up for you later.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks Rousty2009
but you think it's safe to run with car like that, Cooling fluid level is stable anyway???
I don't see why not [MENTION=48]Kevin[/MENTION] is a mechanic so he might be best to answer that question, once I get on TIS I'll find look and see if I can find anything.

You can have a look for the fuses relay in this thread
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Fuses
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Almost sounds like the fault these suffer with a dodgy thermostat housing, but I'd have thought they would have this sorted on a 2012 model.

Just keep close eye on temp gauge, coolant and oil levels until you get time to have it code read
Thanks Kevin knew you would have an answer :-)

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks Kevin you were right it was a termostat problem from what i understood it has an electric part which was out of service (not sure what to call it), replaced and the Car is ok now. but guys may be out of topic but there is a very strong noise from i think the timing belt???? not sure when started but i believe long ago.
glad you sorted out one problem
i would suggest you get that other problem looked at as it could be a few different things
and hearing the noise will be easier to pin point it
there have been a few water pump problems with that model
i will move this thread to common problems as it may help someone
Glad Kevin was on the button,
Are you sure it's the timing belt it could be a pulley or something else.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Good stuff.

We have a few astras insignias on the books. Most have has this fault!
you mean the termostat fault or the loud noise from what appear to me to be from the timing belt?
correct thermostat has been known to make noise on the 1.6 turbo but either way get it looked at
I meant thermostat was common. Noise could be anything
Well guys someone told me it could be either the water pump or the air conditioning motor, so i tested turning on the air conditioning and the noise disappeared?????
the air con motor is always on i believe on the j pressing the button just relishes the air conditioning
engine noises are real hard to diagnose with out hearing them

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange noise from passenger side when driving slowly/stationary and just taking off irishastraowner 3 3,561 16:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:36
Last Post: Rusty2009