Switch to desktop version  
How to ambient door lights - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Howto's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: Lighting How-to's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Thread: How to ambient door lights (/showthread.php?tid=41)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 1:st-Nov-2015

What plate it your sig @tucpal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 1:st-Nov-2015

(1:st-Nov-2015, 22:05:06)Tonto Wrote: I've ordered led strip for door pockets but want to check I definitely haven't got leds I'm door handle before I buy them. Any easy way to check?

only way to know is to take the door cards off and have a look

(1:st-Nov-2015, 22:07:39)Nemo Wrote: What plate it your sig @tucpal?

62 plate last of the old shape

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 1:st-Nov-2015

Eurgh... Do not want to fiddle on with that haha. Am I not able to check by removing black trim and then gently pulling silver trim back?

you may be able to see the led in the small hole with a small mirror worth a go

If it is there (I know it's a long shot) will there be a cable/wore running down to door switch or not?

no there is a missing cable from the led to the door loom
this can just be added but its still a door card off job that way

Ah ok, so may as well just order LEDs and fit them. Run down handle to switch.

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 1:st-Nov-2015

Bingo

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 6:th-Nov-2015

Best place to buy the door handle LEDs? Is it autovaux or...?

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 6:th-Nov-2015

I went to dealers, £20.50 inc VAT

Hmm, will ring them today then. See what they say! Thanks Nemo

Ok picking up the two LEDs in the morning anyone got any pics of the door handle lights and led strips in pockets wired underneath the switch please

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 6:th-Nov-2015

they will be in the how to of my old doors factory led and door pocket led

Yeah I've seen the how to just would like to see a pic, or do you mean your progress thread?

the picture is in the how to ha ha

Lol sorry I wanted to see how people have spliced the wires together underneath the window switch! Sorry for being vague.

Shave off the rubber sleeve and solder in the new wire aha

ha ha as above

Don't have a solder unfortunately, will be splice and pic tape lol.

Haha I know what to do just wanted to see a piccy

It won't be a very strong bond then, it might even come undone with the vibrations of the car. Go to maplins, I picked one up for £20

RE: How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 6:th-Nov-2015

(6:th-Nov-2015, 19:50:27)Tonto Wrote: Don't have a solder unfortunately, will be splice and pic tape lol.

Haha I know what to do just wanted to see a piccy

I've used nothing but a twist and some tape and it's held just find for well over 6 months now

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Speaking of doors, I just came back from Asda and when I came out of Asda and got to my car I discovered an ever so lovely lady in her Merc with tinted out windows resting her open door on my beloved J as she tended to her son.
As soon as I pressed the unlock button she looked up and saw me and I simply said "your car door is touching mine" all I got was a grumbled "sorry".
I checked my car door whilst she was there and I'm glad to announce there was no marks!
Don't you just hate people that have no consideration? I wouldn't dream of doing that to someone else's car

RE: How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 6:th-Nov-2015

The thing is people who are on car forums and modify their cars tend to look after them more and make sure to be careful yet get penalised with higher insurance, then you get these mothers whose husbands are rich and have nice cars that couldnt give a ***** and damage other peoples car and they tend to have the audacity to just ignore what they have done and drive away...

RE: How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 7:th-Nov-2015

(6:th-Nov-2015, 22:44:27)Nemo Wrote: Speaking of doors, I just came back from Asda and when I came out of Asda and got to my car I discovered an ever so lovely lady in her Merc with tinted out windows resting her open door on my beloved J as she tended to her son.
As soon as I pressed the unlock button she looked up and saw me and I simply said "your car door is touching mine" all I got was a grumbled "sorry".
I checked my car door whilst she was there and I'm glad to announce there was no marks!
Don't you just hate people that have no consideration? I wouldn't dream of doing that to someone else's car

That winds me up too and is the reason I carefully choose my space at the shops so I'm not too close to the shop as that's where these type of people Park. Park well away enough so idiots don't smack into my car! But bang out of order that mate! Would have wound me right up!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 7:th-Nov-2015

Have a baby and park in parents and baby parking spots, get that extra bit room either side. We've just been shopping and I always wait for a space now lol!

How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 8:th-Nov-2015

(7:th-Nov-2015, 20:23:23)Tonto Wrote: Have a baby and park in parents and baby parking spots, get that extra bit room either side. We've just been shopping and I always wait for a space now lol!

I was cursing and moaning this morning only 1 car had small children in the kiddy bays.

And upon exiting I was having a good moan at all the lazy people that just left trolleys in the car park.

RE: How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 8:th-Nov-2015

(8:th-Nov-2015, 00:11:12)Rusty2009 Wrote: I was cursing and moaning this morning only 1 car had small children in the kiddy bays.

And upon exiting I was having a good moan at all the lazy people that just left trolleys in the car park.

Yeah you do get a few doing that here too, to be honest he supermarkets don't even check who uses what bays and how long you're there. Do the trolleys down your way not need a pound coin or trolley key? People have to return there trolleys then or they lose a pound haha.

Picked up my door leds today so will be adding door handle and pocket lights tomorrow, really excited for these!

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 8:th-Nov-2015

People use disabled spots at my local supermarket when they're not disabled, if they're sat in the car or just getting out of the car as I walk past and I see no badge or no sign of disability, I make it known that I don't approve

Also got myself some auto glym hd wax to apply to the car if the weather holds out, heard good things about it

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 8:th-Nov-2015

its very good stuff the HD wax i really like it
agreed with the disabled spaces they should be for disabled only
but parent and child are fair game ha ha.

I've got that and if I'm still not happy with it I've got something from wax addict and I've heard no one fault it

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 8:th-Nov-2015

All done, haven't added door pocket lights as its raining and I need door open to make hole for wire to run up to switch but here's the door handle lights!

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 8:th-Nov-2015

WELL DONE looks much better and with the dark nights they will keep you very happy

Yeah I love them and can't wait until dark! Once again a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the forum as novices like me can modify there cars with a great outcome!

Looks great mate, will look better with the strips, trust me

Yeah definitely, just gutted it's been raining as I'd need doors open to make hole for wires.

Just poke a screwdriver through, hole done then

Will give it a go when I get 2 mins

This rain has been a pain, didn't get chance to wax the car because of it. Managed a normal wash when there was a gap in the rain

Yeah I didn't end up going back out to fit pocket lights lol. Next day off is Wednesday so will try it then!

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rymaan82 - 10:th-Jun-2016

Does anyone know if its the same color wires for the back window switches? I have electric windows in the back so was just wondering if I can splice
into those instead of going from the front of the car for the pocket lights.

Thanks

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 10:th-Jun-2016

I'd like to assume so but @Rusty2009 will tell you for sure

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 10:th-Jun-2016

I'd have to look it up.

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 10:th-Jun-2016

(10:th-Jun-2016, 15:51:47)Rymaan82 Wrote: Does anyone know if its the same color wires for the back window switches? I have electric windows in the back so was just wondering if I can splice

Thanks

YES the rear doors are the same wires
but the front passenger door is the problem when you have front and rear electric windows
i had to tap into the ambient light power wire from the drivers door
and take it to the passenger door to make the front passenger door light work

(10:th-Jun-2016, 16:40:04)tucpal Wrote:
(10:th-Jun-2016, 15:51:47)Rymaan82 Wrote: Does anyone know if its the same color wires for the back window switches? I have electric windows in the back so was just wondering if I can splice

Thanks

YES the rear doors are the same wires
but the front passenger door is the problem when you have front and rear electric windows
i had to tap into the ambient light power wire from the drivers door
and take it to the passenger door to make the front passenger door light work

bare with me on this one as I dont fully understand. I had a quick look at the passenger switch and
I do seem to have the yellow and black wires in the switch which I presume if I was to splice into those
then the pocket lights will only come on with the headlights.. I do have the ambient LEDS already in the front
doors but I guess id have to remove the door card to tap into those lights as I couldnt see where those cables
went?.

I did try to remove the rear headlight window switch to see the cables but failed miserably on that front.
@Rusty2009
I did follow your guide on how to remove door cars but on the rear doors I couldnt remove the the side trim on the 
armrest. Is there a nack to it? I got to a point where the trim removal tool was bending, at that point I stopped as it felt like something was about to snap.

How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 10:th-Jun-2016

I have been meaning to update my how-to as I've found a nack to it.

At the rear of the switch pop the trim out a fraction (not all the way) this will then unlock the the switch.

Hope that makes sense.

(10:th-Jun-2016, 21:37:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: I have been meaning to update my how-to as I've found a nack to it.

At the rear of the switch pop the trim out a fraction (not all the way) this will then unlock the the switch.

Hope that makes sense.

Hhmm the rear part of the curved plastic on the side of the arm rest doesn't even pop a little. The front ànd middle of the curve pop off without much force, I'd expect a little movement or click but I ant get anything from the back of it. Even if I try to lift the switch from the rear it doesn't feel right. 

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Jun-2016

It will feel very stiff if it's not been removed before.

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rymaan82 - 12:th-Jun-2016

Success finally!, although it took me way longer than it perhaps should of to get the rear switches out.   
There was a nack to it, so thanks @Rusty2009 for the pointers.

Ive attached the image of the rear electric window switch wiring, so I just need to double check is it the same as the
front switches with the yellow and the black wires?, Can I splice into those for the pocket LED lights installation?

Thanks

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 12:th-Jun-2016

yes there correct yellow and black

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rymaan82 - 13:th-Jun-2016

Right ive come to the drivers switch and I think this is what you may of been talking about @tucpal,
I dont seem to have the yellow and black wires in the drivers side with the 4 switches. I think it is the
same as @justmat82

top of switch connector left to right (red/light purple, light purple, green, black)

bottom of switch connector left to right (green/yellow, green/white, white/purple)

So im not sure if this question was ever answered or if anyone knows the answer as to which wires
to splice into? @Rusty2009 or anyone else got an idea?

Thanks