Switch to desktop version  
How to ambient door lights - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Howto's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: Lighting How-to's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Thread: How to ambient door lights (/showthread.php?tid=41)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: How to ambient door lights - justmat82 - 8:th-Sep-2015

Front and rear windows.

Rear are only controlled by the driver switch unit.

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 8:th-Sep-2015

Thought is was different you run doth wires from the drivers door to passenger or you will have to push an led into each position on the driver switch till you find the correct positions but make sure the light switch is on

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 8:th-Sep-2015

I'll have a look tomorrow but don't think the offline version covers the cascada.

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 30:th-Oct-2015

Finally got around to doing this, I've got the strips ready to be wired up I just didn't have a drill to hand to drill through the back of the door pocket to poke the wire through; that'll be tackled tomorrow.

Cheers for the tut @Tucpal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and the parts were about £20.50 inc VAT

RE: How to ambient door lights - bhalay207 - 30:th-Oct-2015

Wait until it's dark.... The difference is brilliant!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

I'm currently at the girlfriends house, it'll be dark when I next go out, expectations are high aha!

I was shocked at the difference.

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 30:th-Oct-2015

Looks great, well done! These are on my list at some point!

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 30:th-Oct-2015

well done and well worth the effort

@bhalay207 you were right about them being better at night. Gonna do the strips tomorrow when I've got the drill

if you put the strips in as well they look much better

Did you drill into the back of the pocket to feed the wire through? I can't find any other way of hiding the wire

yep drill a small hole in the pocket

Cheers. It's on tomorrow's to-do-list. Getting impatient with these multicoloured footwell lights :(

ha ha you are doing good

Is that for the footwell lighting?

The drilling? No its for the door pocket lights, the multicoloured ones I mentioned are for the foot wells

Oooo, I've not thought about door pocket lights. How did you wire the ambient lights in? I crimped mine

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 31:st-Oct-2015

I spliced them in and did a tap of solder and wrapped in electrical tape, I've just finished the door pockets today too (finally got access to a drill)

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 31:st-Oct-2015

Oh wow very good mate, get a picture tonight when it's dark too please! What LEDs did you use for door pockets?

Cheers, and I will do, going to Hallowscream York Maze tonight so will get one then.

I used these from eBay;
Item number 281677994220

I rewired them though as the wires that came with it were too thin

Awesome thanks mate, I need to do this to mine! Looks great! I just dread fiddling with door card etc...

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 31:st-Oct-2015

look much better they look very good at night

I didn't mess with the door card other than drilling a hole that you can't even see in the door pocket.

Tip: use a thin flat head screwdriver and poke that through there before you use the drill. Otherwise the drill moves everywhere and you can't get a footing to start the drilling

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 31:st-Oct-2015

You can just heat up a screwdriver and poke it through the plastic makes life easier

Ah I got it mixed up with puddle lights, thought you had to take door card off. Definitely get this done at some point then

Night time pic

RE: How to ambient door lights - bhalay207 - 31:st-Oct-2015

Looks good that does! Is it too bright?

Looks awesome mate! Thanks for the night time photo! Makes me want to do this even more now lol! These come on with lights right?

How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Nov-2015

Nemo did you just use a strip of less in the pocket?

How to ambient door lights - Nemo - 1:st-Nov-2015

Nah it's not too bright, have to get used to it at first but it's fine. Drove from Bradford to York and back again tonight and everything was fine

@Tonto yeah they come when the sidelights/headlights are turned on.

@Rusty2009 I used strips, but took your advise and added bigger wires. I used these to be precise from eBay:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281677994220

RE: How to ambient door lights - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Nov-2015

(1:st-Nov-2015, 00:57:03)Nemo Wrote: Nah it's not too bright, have to get used to it at first but it's fine. Drove from Bradford to York and back again tonight and everything was fine

@Tonto yeah they come when the sidelights/headlights are turned on.

@Rusty2009 I used strips, but took your advise and added bigger wires. I used these to be precise from eBay:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281677994220

Cool I have loads of red and white strips so it looks really cool.

Thought you were going for a white and blue theme?

I have red front footwell lights I have got white in the door but TBH it's very dull and I got the brightest white LED I could find, I have blue footwell lighting in the rear.

I want to leave the white in until @Whelanuk has come down on the 14th as I know he is thinking of going white so it will give him a better idea of what it will look like.

I quite like the factory red, it makes the car feel cosy.

So you've got white in the door pockets?

How does the white look when it's used for puddle lights?

RE: How to ambient door lights - tucpal - 1:st-Nov-2015

Get the rear pockets done now just with the strip lights in the pockets gives the rear some color [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Not in the pockets as yet, It looks nice mate have a look my progress thread to see it.

RE: How to ambient door lights - WhelanUK - 1:st-Nov-2015

I like the white. Only think putting me off a full conversion is not sure if they bright enough to for the CD400 screen.

How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 1:st-Nov-2015

Managed to find time to do the door pocket LED strips today too [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] think there's a loose wire in one of them though as it was blinking as I was refitting the switch! Will have to take a look

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RE: How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 1:st-Nov-2015

Hmmmm maybe wiring is fine! Pulled everything out and played with each of the wires and gave them a cheeky tug and nothing blinked or went off or anything... Odd! Look great anyway and not too bring [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] next up is same for rear! @tucpal did you ever make that tut? Sure I've asked you this before..

Edit: I also used the hot screwdriver method for making the holes and it worked great

How to ambient door lights - Tonto - 1:st-Nov-2015

Got pics from where you drill/pierce the pocket to add led strips please, they look really good mate!

RE: How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 1:st-Nov-2015

Cheers got adive on it from @nemo which helped loads! Pics are pretty bad as didn't want them with flash on but ya get the idea haha. They're not at all distracting either. I'll try and get photos tomorrow, too dark now. Dead easy and you can just make the piercing where you like really...as long as the wiring side of the LED strip is pointing towards the back of the car...then ya just pull the wiring up through to the hole where the window switches are...no need to remove the door cards which is great

Yeah I thought door card removal was need but since it's not I'll def so this! Just got to get the door handle ones ordered lol!

I just taped into the headlight switch as in the how to ambient gear surround then ran a wire to the back doors pull the seat belt trim back to get access to the door loom boot cover remove door card and speaker pull wire into door drill hole in the door pocket and refit door card and fit strip light [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Makes it sound so easy

How to ambient door lights - sheppy1 - 1:st-Nov-2015

Hahaha it really was easy enough, took about 45 mins all in. More photos anyway and the bottom ones sort of show where the hole was made and where the wiring was fed into it. Hard to show as couldn't get my phone into the pocket properly lol

That bottom photo is of me point it into the pocket and the black part of the car at the top is the window switch /arm rest thing on the door.

Those strips are fastened to the inside of the pocket using no more nails tape hahaha

Don't know if these help @Tonto but I tried to highlight where I drilled.

Second picture shows the path of the wiring, the green dot is the drilled hole and the red arrow is wiring

Ah awesome thanks guys, I understand what to do now going to get these ordered soon!

Looking good I have just made all the looms for door lights and gear stick on the insignia as it does not have them and I really miss them but they will be in the car in a day or two [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] keep up the good work lads [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I've ordered led strip for door pockets but want to check I definitely haven't got leds I'm door handle before I buy them. Any easy way to check?