Switch to desktop version  
Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 (/showthread.php?tid=1275)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 9:th-Jan-2017

(9:th-Jan-2017, 01:29:02)Doraemon02 Wrote: Not for me mate, I'm from Portugal! Ahah

But thanks for trying to help!
Damn! Bit too far away then eh hahaha

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 9:th-Jan-2017

Daylight pic of the cluster

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Doraemon02 - 9:th-Jan-2017

Yep, that's nice mate!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - tucpal - 9:th-Jan-2017

looks good mate

Cheers both! Very happy with it myself too! Looks better in the day than the night! Ha. But looks great at night too and not as in your face as the stock colour

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 9:th-Jan-2017

My red display came with a dimmer switch...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(9:th-Jan-2017, 21:11:48)marcus01 Wrote: My red display came with a dimmer switch...

Ha yeah same here but I like the rest of my leds to be on full... And the dimmer switch dims them all

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 15:th-Jan-2017

Installed the sensor panel with sensor into the roof panel [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] main reason for wanting to do this was that the blanking panel I had before it rattled all the time when driving! Ha

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Balou#14 - 15:th-Jan-2017

(15:th-Jan-2017, 20:30:41)sheppy1 Wrote: Installed the sensor panel with sensor into the roof panel [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] main reason for wanting to do this was that the blanking panel I had before it rattled all the time when driving! Ha

Done the same thing myself last week. Ever since then I've been thinking about how I can get the lights on the button to work, or what would be needed to get them working

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 15:th-Jan-2017

(15:th-Jan-2017, 21:08:08)Balou#14 Wrote:
(15:th-Jan-2017, 20:30:41)sheppy1 Wrote: Installed the sensor panel with sensor into the roof panel [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] main reason for wanting to do this was that the blanking panel I had before it rattled all the time when driving! Ha

Done the same thing myself last week. Ever since then I've been thinking about how I can get the lights on the button to work, or what would be needed to get them working

Ha yeah I know mate! Your post made me wanna get it installed in mine! Got the whole roof panel and sensor for £10! Yeah I'm thinking the same thing! It's sitting there not powered and it's annoying me lol

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - tucpal - 15:th-Jan-2017

you just need the ambient light pin and the ground tap into any other ambient light circuit
to get power and ground that will make it light up you will need the other side of the connector also

(15:th-Jan-2017, 21:37:41)tucpal Wrote: you just need the ambient light pin and the ground tap into any other ambient light circuit
to get power and ground that will make it light up you will need the other side of the connector also
I was thinking this myself, tapping into other wires is something i've done before so no problem there.
Does anybody know what connector I must be looking for then? Maybe a part number?
Or maybe a pin out of the connector?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - tucpal - 15:th-Jan-2017

I did do it on my old astra j so i know it works
you need the ambient light positive and the ambient light ground from the roof courtesy light
tap into them then find the correct pins on the plug you could just use small female pins and push them in
maybe rusty can get the pin outs you need as i dont have them anymore

(15:th-Jan-2017, 23:00:06)tucpal Wrote: I did do it on my old astra j so i know it works
you need the ambient light positive and the ambient light ground from the roof courtesy light
tap into them then find the correct pins on the plug you could just use small female pins and push them in
maybe rusty can get the pin outs you need as i dont have them anymore
Ok, thanks.
Only need the pin out then.
@rusty2009?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 2:nd-Feb-2017

Huge shoutout and massive thank you to Russell for doing my Speedo upgrade/LED conversion for me!

So I used to have the mid range display which shows one piece of Info at a time, here it is:

I managed to source a set of ecoFlex clocks from eBay which used to belong to another 1.7CDTI (Same as mine). But they had S/S (my car does not). Bought them with the hope that they would work in my car once Russell performed is magic on them! The doubt I had was whether my car would like them seeing as how they were from a S/S model!

Anyway, Russell did his stuff, sent them back over to me...just finished fitting them...and...they work like a charm!!! No issues at all!!

He did a black/white screen with red needles and purple dials for me to go with my red/purple LED interior (of which Russell also converted the LEDs for me and did it all via post).

Here are the "after" pics:

I now have the multi line display too!! that was the main reason I wanted the upgrade. So yeah, barely any hassle, all done via the post, everything works and i have some cool new features!

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Jonika21 - 2:nd-Feb-2017

Does the new multi line display need activation? Or is just plug and play?
Nice mod !

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

(2:nd-Feb-2017, 20:04:44)Jonika21 Wrote: Does the new multi line display need activation? Or is just plug and play?
Nice mod !

It does yeah. The whole speedo needs activating and linking to your car. Russell does it all from his side and sends the speedo over to you to simply install

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Jonika21 - 2:nd-Feb-2017

That is a good idea!
But could he activate it to my car without the car ? xD
Im from portugal eheh

(2:nd-Feb-2017, 20:13:11)Jonika21 Wrote: That is a good idea!
But could he activate it to my car without the car ? xD
Im from portugal eheh

Yep he can! He just needs your Security code and VIN number...he did mine without me being there with him...he lives at the other end of the country to me.

Don't think that would be an issue mate...you'd just need to source a speedo which has the multi line display and then work out how much postage to Portugal would be once he's done the work and posts it back! @Rusty2009, what ya think about this?

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Feb-2017

It's fine with me but Postage could be a killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rymaan82 - 3:rd-Feb-2017

Real nice work as usual @sheppy1

I would love to do the instrument cluster upgrade to the multi line version with a black display. Do you or @Rusty2009 have any advice on what I need to look for (like part numbers?) to get the right cluster with the for my 2011 Astra J 1.6? Would it need to be divorced from the previous vehicle? does it need to be from a similar spec Astra J? @Rusty2009 would you be able to re program the unit and change the LEDs for a price?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 3:rd-Feb-2017

Nice work Sheppy and rusty. I'd certainly be interested in a multi level display if I could get one.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 3:rd-Feb-2017

Cheers both! You can both get them yeah, as long as you're able to source a speedo which you know has the multi line display and preferably NOT divorced then Russell can certainly help you!

Russell has put together a price list and advertisement doc for the job you're asking for. Sure he will be along soon to chip in [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I'm not sure about the part numbers etc. I literally just bought a speedo from a 1.7 (same as my engine) ecoflex (not the car I have) and it was fine. Reason I went for an eco flex speedo is that was the only way I could be sure it had the multi line display!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Feb-2017

(3:rd-Feb-2017, 12:20:39)Rymaan82 Wrote: Real nice work as usual @sheppy1

I would love to do the instrument cluster upgrade to the multi line version with a black display. Do you or @Rusty2009 have any advice on what I need to look for (like part numbers?) to get the right cluster with the for my 2011 Astra J 1.6? Would it need to be divorced from the previous vehicle? does it need to be from a similar spec Astra J? @Rusty2009 would you be able to re program the unit and change the LEDs for a price?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

AS shown it can be done and I'll posting a thread over the weekend about it.

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 4:th-Feb-2017

It's so hard to photograph! But here's another pic. Looks as good in the day as it does at night too! 😀

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Feb-2017

@sheppy1 you need to use a proper camera mate.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - stigeye - 4:th-Feb-2017

(4:th-Feb-2017, 08:27:33)Rusty2009 Wrote: @sheppy1 you need to use a proper camera mate.

Agreel lol, this is the problem with showing pictures of the instrument cluster and other led conversions, it can almost look as though the colours are bleeding and that the display isn't clear when in fact it is just the picture.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 4:th-Feb-2017

(4:th-Feb-2017, 11:10:18)stigeye Wrote:
(4:th-Feb-2017, 08:27:33)Rusty2009 Wrote: @sheppy1 you need to use a proper camera mate.

Agreel lol, this is the problem with showing pictures of the instrument cluster and other led conversions, it can almost look as though the colours are bleeding and that the display isn't clear when in fact it is just the picture.
Mine actually do bleed like the pic... Well, not need but the red and purple merge into the crazy mix of colours you can see on my pics, and I LOVE it that way! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 24:th-Feb-2017

Just bought these for the car

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371816093021

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 24:th-Feb-2017

Cool. Are you going to connect the indicator as well? Easy to do?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 24:th-Feb-2017

I'm not sure about the indicator. I wouldn't mind having it inside the headlight but I don't want to have dual indicators (I already have them in the bumper). So I think I'm gonna ask them to just ship then with the white bulbs from the pic.

Should be a straight swap but I need to remove the motors from my current ones yet. Not sure how hard that is

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 24:th-Feb-2017

Sounds good. I imagine removing the motors is straight forward enough to do...... Hopefully.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 24:th-Feb-2017

(24:th-Feb-2017, 16:20:43)marcus01 Wrote: Sounds good. I imagine removing the motors is straight forward enough to do...... Hopefully.

Hahaha I hope so! Russell provided me with this diagram anyway. There isn't much to a headlight so I imagine once the headlights are out of the car, the motors will be easy to spot and remove

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - opelastra - 15:th-Mar-2017

love the lights , love to see what they look like fitted , might get a pair for my car

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 29:th-Apr-2017

Hey guys! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] been a bit busy recently due to moving into our first house hence not been as active on the forums as I'd like.

Anyway, small update here on my next mod courtesy of Russell! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. It's the rear panel with the cigarette 12v socket compartment to replace my non existent one! Ha.

It's not arrived yet but will try and get it fitted as soon as it does! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 19:th-May-2017

Installed the new rear console with the storage tray and 12v socket [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Pics also of the original panel with neither of the new "features"

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 19:th-May-2017

Nice, why didn't you go the whole hog and fit the dual USB port?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 19:th-May-2017

Didn't even consider it... Just went with the straight up swap, plug and play keeping it all factory as it likely won't be used much anyway.

Is there a tutorial on here then to do the dual USB?

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus01 - 19:th-May-2017

I think there is. It's pretty straightforward though. Whip off the 2 sides so you can get to the back of the power socket. Unscrew the fastener on the power socket, cut the wires and rejoin them to the usb socket. Job done...

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 19:th-May-2017

Oh yeah, done something similar with a dual USB socket in my glove box. I'll leave it as is then. I'm trying to keep stuff factory unless I really need to start hacking and cutting. Considering it will barely every be used, may aswell leave it as a 12v socket

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Steveb19111978 - 17:th-Jun-2017

That rear 12v socket would came in really handy with the kids. Was it difficult to install/wire up?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - ajk1985 - 27:th-Jul-2017

@sheppy1, thanks for sharing all your mod info with us - it is all very helpful and there are a couple of things that I will defo be using your information to do to my car.

The first thing I want to do is IPC/Trip Computer upgrade as you did. The clocks and trip computer display I have are exactly as yours were and the one I want is exactly as you now have - albeit I wouldn't be bothered if it didn't havethe white surrounds..

Can you give me any info on how you went about this please? Do you have the part number of the cluster and how did you get it coded to the car with the correct mileage etc? Can the coding be done through the op-com software?

Thanks,

Andy

2011 Astra J Excite 1.7cdti

Hi mate, can you give me some advice on how you went about your IPC/Trip Computer Upgrade..? I have exact same car, exact same screen (before) and would like exact same screen as yours (after). What's the part number I need for the IPC please and how do I get it paired to my car and mileage programmed etc?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rusty, I would like to upgrade my IPC from what Sheppy had originally to the IPC with the larger screen too, can you please offer advice? If you can advise me the part number I will source it and am happy to post to you to be coded to my car etc!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Jon_es - 27:th-Jul-2017

(24:th-Feb-2017, 14:48:56)sheppy1 Wrote: I'm not sure about the indicator. I wouldn't mind having it inside the headlight but I don't want to have dual indicators (I already have them in the bumper). So I think I'm gonna ask them to just ship then with the white bulbs from the pic.

Should be a straight swap but I need to remove the motors from my current ones yet. Not sure how hard that is

You could do it like the gtc and have indicator in headlight and replace bottom bit with fog lights
Like that if it fits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - opelastra - 31:st-Jul-2017

hi all how would you put the indicator into headlight ?

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Jon_es - 31:st-Jul-2017

(31:st-Jul-2017, 12:14:40)opelastra Wrote: hi all how would you put the indicator into headlight ?

You would need to get the headlight with the indicator inside (obviously) then find out what wires control the indicators and move them or extend them to the headlight, done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 27:th-Oct-2017

Okay chaps! Update on a new mod

I have upgraded from my halogen headlights to HID converted headlights with ballasts and also angel eyes.

Angel eye on one light has a nackered led though so can't use them at present. Luckily @rusty2009 installed on and off buttons on the back of the units to allow to to manually turn the angel eyes off for just this very reason.

Ignore the moisture in the lights. It's gone now

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 28:th-Oct-2017

And a new super battery twice the capacity of my current one as the car keeps not starting and it may be down to all my battery draining mods!

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 29:th-Oct-2017

New battery next to old one and pic of it installed!