VXOC Astra-J/GTC
Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 (/showthread.php?tid=1275)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 7:th-Mar-2016

Damn! Those are actually really cheap [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] if i give up on the happy blue and go for a refund then I'll pick those up!

Also you think they'd be okay for 18s then or would they be too high or low? Hmmmm I'd pay someone to do it haha

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Tonto - 7:th-Mar-2016

I think they'd look good on 18s, I'm going for 18s myself as tyres are cheaper haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! I'll get some then ASAP Smile ta. Any idea which places (big named companies) would fit then? e.g. KWIK Fit, national tyres etc.? Yes I know they're both ***** but trust me...they're better than my local small garages lol

Do it yourself if you have a friend to help, you will need Spring compressors too!! You can actually change rears without taking wheels off!

It's fine... I'd rather pay someone else lol. Thanks though [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Haha ah right, I got the fitter at my father in laws TA centre to help me do mine as I wasn't confident by myself! But it is easy enough, most local garages wanted about £90-£100 for fitting, Vauxhall wanted £225 with master for discount.

Dayum!! Hahaha. I'll ask around then and see what the prices are like [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] ta dude!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - mrtc - 7:th-Mar-2016

i have a mate who will change springs for me for a case of beer lol

WTF! Does he wanna be my mate?! Haha

Haha I win, got mine done for free and learned how to do it in process

Damn you all! I get to have some moron at KWIK fit do it for £100 then leave with 3 new issues hahaha

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - J1ODYA - 7:th-Mar-2016

I'd be tempted with coilovers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stupid question time...what's the difference between coilovers and springs?

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - J1ODYA - 7:th-Mar-2016

Hmm... suspension is made up of springs and shocks, ideally you should change both when lowering however most of us only change springs.

Coilovers remove both replacing with a single unit, the added benefit is that they are adjustable so you can sit the car lowering than just using springs... or at some stage you can change ride height.

Ahhhhh nice one! Nice and easy to understand...so I'd guess that a set of 4 coilovers would be a lot more than the £100 or so quid for the springs that @tonto has?

I think I remember seeing the Eibach coilovers for around £500-£600 for the set lol!!

Ermmm while i like the idea of them...sack that! hahahaha

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - stigeye - 8:th-Mar-2016

You can get some Astra J coilovers for just under £300 if you aren't bothered about the brand name, they also include shorter stabilizer link bars.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - J1ODYA - 8:th-Mar-2016

You get what you pay for.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 8:th-Mar-2016

(8:th-Mar-2016, 07:16:46)J1ODYA Wrote: You get what you pay for.

Oh indeed! I agree with that... I always pay top whack for stuff... Just if there's an alternative which is less but just doesn't offer as much flexibility (which I don't need anyway) then I'll choose that [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

(8:th-Mar-2016, 07:16:46)J1ODYA Wrote: You get what you pay for.

That would depend though as to whether you would prefer to drop your car on branded springs alone or drop them on middle of the range coilovers with droplinks. You do get what you pay for, I dropped my last peugeot on apex springs and had to change the droplinks almost yearly. I will always google the name and read reviews where possible, and if I like what I have read and researched I will buy them even if it's a brand that I may not of heard of.

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - mrtc - 8:th-Mar-2016

Get kw coilovers there a bargain at around 1175 lol

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - bhalay207 - 8:th-Mar-2016

Eibachs are renowned for quality by all accounts

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

(8:th-Mar-2016, 09:07:45)bhalay207 Wrote: Eibachs are renowned for quality by all accounts

So are Bugatti's but I don't need to buy one to go fast in a quality made motor at a 100th of the price :-)... it's horses for courses really, someone who is looking at just over £100 for springs isn't really going to contemplate paying 5 to 6 times that on coilovers unless you tell them it will knacker their car or you offer some middle ground. Springs alone are fine, and I am sure their are lots of people who may never have an issue, but in my experience I found they messed with the droplinks unless you already had some uprated shocks to begin with like in the vx-line for example. To be fair though, droplinks are cheap and relatively cheap to have fitted when needed.

i know you can get coilovers for this price but im tempted by these

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/58637/vauxhall/bilstein-b12-suspension-kits/46-188779.html

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Tonto - 8:th-Mar-2016

You can get a set of coilovers for around £200-£250 but I was warned away from them. Many people use the Eibachs straight on standard shocks and never have a problem. I don't see the problem?! Drop links shouldn't really be a worry either as they're not weight baring, I was only advised they'd need changed if the snapped while taking off...

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus - 8:th-Mar-2016

Are you saying that the astra Sri vx line's have different shocks to the normal Sri? Or did I read that wrong? Cheers

(8:th-Mar-2016, 10:59:04)marcus Wrote: Are you saying that the astra Sri vx line's have different shocks to the normal Sri? Or did I read that wrong? Cheers

VX Lines have an uprated sport suspension as standard.

Did not know that. Have noticed that there isn't a big gap between the top of the tyre (19's) and the wheel arch unlike some of others Sris I have seen photos of.Smile Cheers

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Danny Talbot - 8:th-Mar-2016

I' fitted eibach springs to my 2.0 cdti vxline with 19" alloys a month ago. No issues as of yet for me

(8:th-Mar-2016, 16:42:37)Danny Talbot Wrote: I' fitted eibach springs to my 2.0 cdti vxline with 19" alloys a month ago. No issues as of yet for me
Nice. Do you happen to have a photo of the gap between wheel and arch? Cheers

If you can tell me how to upload pics mate then, sure no problem lol

Unfortunately I can't. Smile lol

If you don't use tapatalk (you can upload using the app) try uploading to photo bucket or imgur and then paste link!

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a468/danieltalbot/2BC8D57B-A854-4BCA-9724-458DDF5AF696_zpsxldbrloo.jpg

That's only 1 I've got at min mate. I'll try and get you some better 1s

The ride height is just about spot on for me on that picture, that's probably how much drop I would put on mine... what was the drop on the springs?

Just had the two scuffed/damaged alloys refurbed and WOW! I spent a good few mins trying to find the areas which he'd fixed before I eventually spotted it! It's very very hard to spot the repair job and only really possible because they're sparkly clean!! Done a brill job!

Before:

[Image: 7vTVzvs.jpg]

[Image: GUFRVTv.jpg]

After:

[Image: U3FVNoa.jpg]

[Image: a1MUc8r.jpg]

Looking good

There 40 mm drop mate

Very nice mate they've done a great job!!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Jerry - 8:th-Mar-2016

Looking good, nice job mate.

Cheers guys! I'm made up [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] was only a mobile repair too so he just filed and sanded down the marks and did it like that... Did a damn fine job in my opinion!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - opelastra - 8:th-Mar-2016

Great job nice alloys

(8:th-Mar-2016, 22:06:34)opelastra Wrote: Great job nice alloys
Thanks mate! I'm really pleased with them!! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] next up... These bloody boot strut springs! Haha. Have asked for some shorter ones to be sent so will see how I get on

Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - Rusty2009 - 9:th-Mar-2016

(8:th-Mar-2016, 17:36:30)Danny Talbot Wrote: If you can tell me how to upload pics mate then, sure no problem lol

See here which is in the help section
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-to-add-your-photographs-to-the-forum-using-Photobucket

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 9:th-Mar-2016

Old elite alloys sold [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] just had a guy from Swansea spend 5 and half hours driving here to collect them!

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - mrtc - 9:th-Mar-2016

jeese, 5 hours, you gunna pay bills with the money or get springs lol

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - bhalay207 - 9:th-Mar-2016

He's so going to get springs haha

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - sheppy1 - 9:th-Mar-2016

Hahaha I am actually gonna pay the bills :P. Spent almost a grand this past month or so on the car so taking a break for a month Wink

I'm still working on getting those springs sorted for the boot project though so have something to tide me over lol

RE: Progress Thread: Sheppy1 - marcus - 9:th-Mar-2016

(8:th-Mar-2016, 18:15:01)Danny Talbot Wrote: http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a468/danieltalbot/2BC8D57B-A854-4BCA-9724-458DDF5AF696_zpsxldbrloo.jpg

That's only 1 I've got at min mate. I'll try and get you some better 1s
That looks good.