Switch to desktop version  
tow bar wiring - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Retrofit Research (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: tow bar wiring (/showthread.php?tid=1008)

Pages: 1 2

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 13:th-Oct-2014

Can any one get me a wiring diagram to wire my tow-bar electrics up
2.0 cdti 2011 NC11SUE
many thanks

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Oct-2014

I'll grab it in the morning mate factory wiring.

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 13:th-Oct-2014

Thanks your a star

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 14:th-Oct-2014

Here you are mate.

Download link .PDF

Download link (Full details)

Other info you might want mate.

X53A Fuse Block - Rear Body X3

Luggage Compartment Components - Left Rear

K68 Trailer Lighting Converter X1

K68 Trailer Lighting Converter X2

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 14:th-Oct-2014

Thanks very much

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 14:th-Oct-2014

Your welcome mate, think I got all the bits if your doing a retrofit?

if I've missed anything just shout.

tow bar wiring - tucpal - 17:th-Oct-2014

and dont forget to grab some pics of the fit mate

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 17:th-Oct-2014

Rusty I could do with them mate

I will paul but the best price I can get for a the wiring kit is £200 not paying that

very pricey the control module may be found from a scrappy then

No that's just for the wiring

Rusty I need all the bits in the car to wire up my light socket if you have them

wow that is not that good it may be best to phone about and see if anyone is braking a car with a factory toe bar then
and get all the connectors and module from that as that will keep the cost down
as programming will still be needed if you want the factory kit to work

Programming is the easy bit it's finding the bits is the problem

also what toe bar do you have the factory one or after market

After market mate

so it has no wires or kit with it then just a bar

also moving this thread over to the research section as something may come of it.

Yeah it has the socket and wire and a bypass relay but that won't work on my car I don't want to blow the body control mod

would it not just splice in to the light wiring brake indicator etc did any wiring diagrams come with the kit
i know some of these questions sound daft but best to know what you have as there may be a way round the factory wiring option
sure rusty will pick this thread up as i know he has done this

That's what I thought but you have to be careful with the canbus

the extra light voltage will trow up errors on the dash for sure

so you really need to go the factory wiring and module way to get it error free

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Oct-2014

Dicko I have aftermarket towbar with bypass and there is no problems whatsoever.

i can get pics you but will have to to wait till Sunday / Monday, I'll look for all the other bits but again will be Sunday / Monday.

i was going to get a Vauxhall towbar with electrics and modules was on eBay for £75 a few months back but left it as I didn't have the pins in the fuse board.

So you just used a bye pass relay and taped in to the lights wiring

Yes mate, I didn't fit it but I know it runs off a 10A (iirc) off the rear board to power the bypass box then they just taped into rear lighting using them annoying blue clip things.

ill grab the pics and info for you mate.

Thanks that's brilliant mate a photo would be good

And show to rusty

Even better

tucpal Wrote:And show to rusty

?????? That makes no sense or am I being thick tonight?

Dicko what time do you finish work tomorrow?

Don't know yet don't think it will be to late probably about 3ish

How far from the port are you? Could always pop over for you too look time and distance depending.

Not far about 10 to15 minutes drive
Pm me your phone no I will phone you when I am on my way home if you want

Cool PM sent.

Reply sent by text mate

You will be 45 mins away rusty I have dicko,s address on my nav

tow bar wiring - Kevin - 17:th-Oct-2014

Agree with Rusty, bypass relay works spot on. Likewise, if your looking to require hooking up a caravan, the smart charge relay works spot on too with no errors.

No need for expensive OE wiring.

tow bar wiring - tucpal - 18:th-Oct-2014

that sounds a better solution as long as it will fool the can buss but loads could be added if errors persist

tow bar wiring - Kevin - 18:th-Oct-2014

It works spot on, Tucpal. Had my tralier and caravan hooked up, no errors what so ever.

Jobs a good one, and cheap too. It's a win win

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Oct-2014

Dicko can you check the wiring on the back of the headlamp switch for me mate?

Want to compare it to mine

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 18:th-Oct-2014

Yeah no problem do it tomorrow what do you need to no

tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Oct-2014

Sorry for the delay fell asleep lol,

can you check your's matches the follow pin out for me please mate.

http://vxoc.org.uk/download/VXOC%20docs/S30%20Headlamp%20Switch.pdf

I'm just going to start taking the side trim off so I can get you pics and details for the Towbar wiring.

Right mate here you go.

runs in the car here

connects into the relay module

Power is comes here on the fuse board 05 has an inline 15A fuse then into the module

The White wire that come into the car is spliced the wire goes to a ground (they used the nut on the fuse board) the spliced wire goes into the module.

Then there is a plug which comes out the module and these are tapped into the rear lights.

the Green goes off to the drivers side rear fog light it's tapped into the Blue wire

The Blue wire is tapped into a yellow wire above the rear fuse board

The rest are tapped into wire here

I'm just going to get all the other wire colours for you.

Here is a .PDF for mine and if you don't have a module yet these can picked up ebay
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/Images/rusty/Towbar/Towbar%20ZR2500.pdf

Here's a full kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12n-Single-Tow-Bar-Electrics-Kit-PCT-Automotive-ZR2500-Bypass-Relay-Full-Kit-/291161000404?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item43ca8c49d4

or just the module

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOWING-7-WAY-BYPASS-RELAY-PCT-LOGICON-NEW-ZR2500-/261231435496?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item3cd29b5ee8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCT-Automotive-ZR2500-Logicon-Towing-Interface-7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Full-Kit-/290700395850?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item43af18054a

In my above post I got the wire wrong please disregard the GREEN GOING TO FOG IT DOESN'T.

Wiring.

From module to car wiring.

Green runs to drivers side taps into Blue wire = RH Indicator
Blue taps into Yellow/Grey above the fuse board = Fog Light
Red taps into Grey/Yellow below fuse board = brake light
Yellow taps into Blue/White below fuse board = LH Indicator
Brown & Black Join and taps into Purple/Grey below fuse board = Side lights
White taps into reverse light but I don't have that connected.

tow bar wiring - Dicko - 19:th-Oct-2014

Thanks for that rusty much appreciated

tow bar wiring - tucpal - 20:th-Oct-2014

how are you getting on Dicko ?

RE: tow bar wiring - Mattb519 - 10:th-Sep-2017

Hi just reading about the wiring for a tow bar. I'm doing the same on my 2013 insignia. I'm using a similar retrofit kit.
Many thanks
Matt

RE: tow bar wiring - Jdswifty - 11:th-Mar-2018

Hi Folks
sorry for bumping an old thread but rather than starting a new one thought i better to ask on this thread.

I've just picked up what appears to be factory fitted towbar & electrics.
I'm pretty handy with rewiring the car but i can seem to find any reference guides online for how to fit the wiring i've had sent with the towbar.

so just looking for some advice on how i either fit what i have 
or 
am i better going with an aftermarket module like the one further up the thread, 

as i say electrics dont bother me so fitting an aftermarket one & splicing into the loom would be fie for me & i'm not going to be towing a lot so having integration with the CANBUS system isn't a must either 

Here is the loom i've been sent with the towbar

RE: tow bar wiring - Rusty2009 - 12:th-Mar-2018

While that is a factory module it's not a factory loom, it's a kit made by a 3rd party.

So you you would need to contact them.

The only person I know who did fit one of these sadly passed away.

RE: tow bar wiring - gazz292 - 12:th-Mar-2018

This is what i know about the MERIVA's towbar wiring... using that trailer interface module you have (TIM) there's basically about 4 wires that need connecting to the car and 3 earths,

one wire is to the brake light wire on the car... might not be needed on astra's.. on merivas the brake light isnt on the canbus it seems... it's also able to be controlled by other modules directly, hence the need to tap into it.

Then there's a couple of power wires, one to run the TIM,

the other to feed power to the 13 pin trailer socket... for power to charge a caravans battery and run the fridge etc, that looks to be those thick red and yellow wires with the white plug going to the trailer socket.

Then there's a wire to the front of the car (meriva's dont have rear electrical centres like astras do) that wire is the canbus wire, so basically one connection runs all the lights on the trailer, gives you bulb out warnings and aparantly alters the abs and eps when towing... if towing a caravan and it gets into a snake, the car will brake the opposite rear wheels to try and correct the snake before the caravan flips the car over or spins it around,

Oh, and if you have rear reversing sensors, it turns them off when towing too... BUT, it needs programming to the car with a tech2/mdi, simple 5 minute job to tell the bcm and reversing sensor module that you now have a trailer interface.

personally i'd wire in the TIM you have, as it integrates the trailers lights into the car, and is only a few connections, and the canbus connection will be at the rear electrical centre, so easier than on a meriva.

to use a canbus bypass module you will need 6 or 7 connections to the rear lights, power, earth, and an annoying buzzer that goes off when the trailers indicators are working (with the factory system, it tells you if you have a trailer bulb out rather than buzzzing or a second indicator symbol on the dash)

The wiring connections can be worked out, may need a bit of a new loom making up... and i dunno why they cut the main (big red) power tire to the TIM.. and so close to the plug,

RE: tow bar wiring - Jdswifty - 13:th-Mar-2018

Cheers Rusty
TBH after reading the posts on here I just went wit the 7way relay, looks super easy to fit where as trying to reverse engineer this other loom & box looks like a lot of work

RE: tow bar wiring - Jdswifty - 13:th-Mar-2018

Sorry Gaz, missed your reply...
I might have another look then, if its pretty much just a single wire to tap into the canbus system then that would make it easier, the whole loom just looks a mess right now but your explanation certainly clear up a lot of the unknowns