Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
s failed the wife mot car

Wife's car failed the MOT
So the wife's car failed it's MOT yesterday.

Not totally happy as it only failed on bulbs, We have blue 501's fitted in the side lights and rear number plate lights.

MOT chap has listed the side lights as incorrect colour,
and the number plate (bulb blue) Not illuminating the registration plate.

Odd as I find the blue bulb is 100% brighter than clear bulb.

I don't get the wrong colour as it just matches the rest of the headlamp.

Is he just being picky or what?

But at least for a 12 year old car with 157000 Miles it's done well to only fail on bulbs I guess, I've ordered some clear bulbs to put in to get it though the MOT.

Only had 3 advisory and to be fair I don't see the point of two of them.

Under trays and engine covers fitted
& Rattling from engine I know what that is it's the engine cover as someone broke it before we got it but MOT chap reckons it's the front tow-eye says its common on the 206's
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
It will fail on blue bulbs they are best removed my mate will turn a blind eye to things like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just find it odd as he passed my Veccy 3 times with blue bulbs in.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Some are worse than others also I have seen cars fail for smoked side repeaters tinted head lights and rear lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine never fails, no matter what car if it's just little stuff like that, the garage pass it and just say 'replace your bulbs' on the side
Cameron UK Wrote:Mine never fails, no matter what car if it's just little stuff like that, the garage pass it and just say 'replace your bulbs' on the side

Never say never you know it's going fail at your next MOT just because you've said it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ha I used to swap mine out when mot time as well as the private plate
Using Tapatalk
Sounds like the mot tester has just come back from a refresher course, or just got his testers ticket. Either that, or the man from DVSA was there watching!

Undertrays fitted are put down as we can't see components during testing. You could easily remove them after the test, see something seriously wrong, then go back and create. Its just to keep the tester covered.

Regarding the 'just get those bulbs replaced' by Cameron, this will be coming into the mot at some point. Should a car fail on a minor fault - wipers, bulbs etc, then we will beallowed to pass the car and issue the fail on the advisory.
He's not a new tester been going to them for the last 5 years.

That's why they put about under trays, I know they are not allowed to remove parts for an MOT.

That will make more sense when they bring that in always found it silly that it would fail on a bulb or wiper.

I found all the clear 501's that I took out the Astra interior lights so I've put them in and it's back in at 2 today.

I've checked the rattle some more it's not the cover I've got that down tight with cable ties and it's not the tow eye. Found if you pull the engine forward or push it back it stops the rattle so thinking it must be an engine mount or something.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Car passed now.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
well done
The car has ended up with the mechanic as that rattle I thought was the engine cover isn't nor is it the tow eye I've checked though everything and anything that could rattle in the engine bay I believe I've checked. I sent the video to my mechanic and he said it sounds more timing related and might be a valve and best not to drive it.

He did say his opinion might change once he's heard it in person.

[video=youtube;zfyXDL0b_LY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfyXDL0b_LY[/video]

I also checked all the pulleys and they seemed fine.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
it sounds dreadful best to get that checked over just for safety
A little army man inside with a tommy gun?
Cameron UK Wrote:A little army man inside with a tommy gun?

You've upset the wife I like it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Interesting noise!

Difficult to tell what that could be. Sounds almost like an injector fault.
It has turned out to be the pre-idler tensioner can you believe the part costs more than the labour, part £62.00 labour £28.00...
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The wife's alloys Rusty2009 10 7,031 4:th-Feb-2015, 22:55:48
Last Post: tucpal
  The Wife keeps saying no Rusty2009 6 4,982 6:th-Jul-2014, 21:11:02
Last Post: tucpal