Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
s something think there missing??

Think there's something missing??
I picked up a 2005 1.6 Astra for £400 that was a non runner. Initial check over showed that 3 tyres and good clean inside and out. The main issue was the mechanical side. Once I got the battery sorted the car would just spin over, fuelling was ok so checked the HT side and found 1 spark plug in a very bad way it pulled the thread out of the head which I thought not a problem I'll helicoil it. Carried out a compression check and 0psi on all cylinders.

Stripped head of and this is what I found

It looks like the belt might have slipped a couple of teeth. I've never seen a piston and 3 valves completely smashed to pieces before.

I'm now trying to decide whether to drop another engine in approx £450 or strip for parts
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ouch!!!
as the engines are very cheap at that age it would be the best idea
do you think the plug snapped and fell in there smashing the piston rings and in turn smashing every thing
The plug hasn't snapped I think all the damage must have been done when the piston hit the valves breaking them up and this in turn has smashed the piston to pieces and damaged the spark plug.

I've found out that the car was running rough for about 40 miles on the motorway before it eventually died
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i wrecked a beetle motor years ago did the same thing