Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
drive joint shaft cv

CV JOINT DRIVE SHAFT
So i have had a clicking coming from the front left hand side or passenger side for a few months now
and today a real bad grinding noise is now coming from the front so it looks like the cv joint is collapsing now
my mate is going to have a look tomorrow but he recommends i replace the whole drive shaft
so i am not that happy today as this will cost me big time
Sounds like your mate wants an easy and clean life fitting a whole shaft.

Save the bucks and fit a cv joint only.
agreed there kevin it sounds like the inside joint but the boot is not spilt it looks fine
it was clicking in first and second when pulling off for a while now and clicking in reverse also
but no clicking when the steering wheel is turned
and i have had vibration through the key and steering area when pulling away in first for a few weeks
but today on the way home a very loud metal grinding started from the passenger side
i pulled over and checked the car out
started it back up and it was grinding again then it just stopped and has now gone
but there's a small knock now when going over bumps from the passenger side
so the cars parked up and will not be used just so nothing gets any worse or i end up losing all drive
i will get him to look at it next week and get it out and see what the damage is
i would prefer the joint to be fixed if possible as this will be much cheaper than replacing the whole thing
found a brand new driveshaft on ebay being sold of cheap at my local lookers vauxhall dealer
£200 so that is going on the car this afternoon

part number 13335140 code CG
Nice one mate good luck (hope it solves the problem)
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
i am half happy and half mad at the moment
grinding and knock has stoped from the passenger side
but the clicking has not stopped so the other side is now suspected
SO WHAT THE HELL

how on earth have both sides gone at 30.000 miles
new price for the drivers side is £695 with my discount i get it for £495
so i ordered a used one for £50 form a brakers.
i will get it fitted mid week
i am starting to get real annoyed with this car now....
How bloody much, at least you can drive again for the moment.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
YEP for now anyway until the other side goes
the other side i did was £695 notes new as well so i was lucky to find a new one that was so cheap
but i will have it all sorted by the end of the week
but i am Very Very Mad now with this car it is becoming more hassle than its worth..
I have a horrible feeling this is all gearbox related
but i really hope i am wrong
i think i might go to the garage for the extra 3 years waranty for 650€ after all the problems i see with the astra

and what is a CV joint?:confused
if you look at the picture above it joins the wheel to the gear box
the cv joint are the two bits on the end
but they can get damaged by speed bumps and potholes in the road
as kevin said above they can be fixed but it is getting the parts and most of the time its cheaper
to get one from a scrap yard as long as it is in good condition

also i noticed the knock is still there as well as the click
so it looks like my mate replaced the wrong side i have had words
and he is doing the other side for free and doing my next service also for free.
so lets hope this time he gets it right
but the down side is the car is staying parked up this week
So now that i have calmed down a bit and the correct driver side shaft has turned up

i will get that put on the car on friday and hope that sorts that out
i also noticed the part number has changed so the old part for the 1.4 and 1.6 is 13250861 CH and the new part number for the 1.4 and 1.6 is 13335141 AAFT
Also the new drive shaft has a metal plate on the end wheel side the old one does not have this
it looks like it slots in the hole in the hub may be it holds that end in better
so there has been some sort of change to the design
may be this is to improve the knocks from the drivers side people have been reporting maybe ?
or it may be just a dust cover for the back of the wheel bearing

the older one looks like this with no plate on the end
but that is the other side of the newer one just to show you the difference
so ignore the threaded bit

so just gotta wait now.
ALL SORTED OUT

no more clicking and no more knocking so it was the drivers side after all
tucpal Wrote:ALL SORTED OUT

no more clicking and no more knocking so it was the drivers side after all

Glad to hear that!!!!
also something interesting i have had a bad key rattle for a few months along with the clicking
when pulling off and the key rattle has now gone also :cool
Glad it's all sorted now mate are happy with your car again
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
yep i mist it been in a corsa all week and god you think the j rattles and going over speed bumps my ribs still hurt
What have you done to sort the key rattle
i think the bad drive shaft was making vibrations come up through the steering column
as when the drive shaft was done the key no longer rattles

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drive Shaft Lewis6317 33 16,304 9:th-Feb-2015, 16:40:44
Last Post: Lewis6317

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
richardt (24:th-Feb-2024, 17:34:47)