Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
headlight downgrade

Headlight downgrade
Hello,

I own a 2014 Astra J 1.6cdti, which came with regular halogen headlights and factory LED DRLs. The DRLs on the right side, however, have stopped working and I don't think there's a way to repair them, is there? Anyway, not sure I want to.

Here's what I'm thinking instead: I found a pair of good halogen lights with standard DRL bulbs. IMO, they even look better with white-ish bulbs than the stock LED DRLs (never been a fan of those). So, is it a straight swap? Also, are all light units the same, pre and post - facelift? 

Any input is much appreciated. Cheers.
Units are the same some.

Some have chrome inside some have black inside.

In terms of fitting the halogen DRL/Side light if memory serves me right you can fit an LED DRL/Sidelight bulb and the get no errors.

In terms of fixing the current headlamps they would really need splitting open the LED's and resistors would need checking & replacing.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(7:th-Oct-2020, 15:39:55)Rusty2009 Wrote: Units are the same some.

Some have chrome inside some have black inside.

In terms of fitting the halogen DRL/Side light if memory serves me right you can fit an LED DRL/Sidelight bulb and the get no errors.

In terms of fixing the current headlamps they would really need splitting open the LED's and resistors would need checking & replacing.

Thanks for the info.

I'm about to order the units I found and do the swap. Will post an update once the job is done, in case anyone ever tries the same, however unlikely it seems. Hopefully, I'll get away with it error-free.
Hi, they should fits. The main connector pin-out is the same.
Question is just how the BCM will react on the higher DRL consumption, but I think there will be no error massage and it will work fine.

Actually I have swapped vice-versa :-) and just add resistor due to lower current consumption of the LED DRLs.
Okay, I've done the swap - completely error free. I'm using standard, yellowish bulbs on the DRLs, so haven't tried fitting LEDs there yet. But I'm happy with the result as it is. Now that everything is fully functional, I can take my time researching bulb upgrades. 

Conclusion: If anyone has a faulty factory LED unit - you can downgrade to headlights with regular DRL bulbs. In my case, I found a pair of used ones for a bargain and they were both newer and with less wear and tear than my original ones. Also, cheap replacements.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headlight learn milozic 2 1,577 28:th-Mar-2021, 10:58:47
Last Post: milozic
  Headlight bulbs WoZLinGToN 3 4,306 26:th-Jul-2018, 13:44:46
Last Post: astra777
  Headlight Condensation sheppy1 2 2,849 27:th-Oct-2017, 08:12:48
Last Post: sheppy1
  Headlight re-seal what buytl to use ? kyle-astra-j 10 7,572 20:th-Aug-2016, 18:22:07
Last Post: kyle-astra-j
  headlight bulbs bay 2 4,155 1:st-Jan-2016, 18:57:10
Last Post: Shorty S91
  Headlight Condensation sheppy1 6 6,736 16:th-Nov-2015, 22:28:08
Last Post: Steve64
  Changing Headlight Bulbs And DRLs SI SRI 12 8,444 26:th-Aug-2014, 17:59:50
Last Post: SI SRI