Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to what buy?

What to buy?
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could answer some questions I have been wanting to find out. I have been looking at cars for the last 3 weeks and not a clue what to buy, and recently just started looking at the Astra GTC and I ain't got a clue what model to go for. I think my budget will get me something up to a 2014/15. I owned a civic type r up until 3 weeks ago and would love something performance wise not far off. I know there's the vxr but that's a bit out of my price range. so, here's my questions-

1, As above what do I go for? 2.0 Sri? 1.6i? I really don't know. I do fancy a diesel but what are they like power wise?

2, Do they have heated seats? I can't seem to find any info on the matter.

3, I would like to stream music via BT is this possible with a standard system?

4, I love my music and the speakers were very poor in the civic, what are they like in these?

5, And finally, what shall I look out for whilst looking for one? Hoping to have a look at a couple (hopefully I get some advice from you guys first)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
2.0cdti best engine in the range and best gearbox power wise stock they are fine, install a pedal box to iron out any flat spots and it makes it even better it's 165ps stock with a remap it can make 200-210 (but have the DPF gutted & EGR delete otherwise your get DPF issues and some have had turbo issues leaving the DPF in) & make sure it's done on a rolling road by a decent mapper.

There is also the 2.0cdti bi-turbo 195ps stock. As above pedal box, and remap not 100% what gains are on a remap though. But bare in mind the bi-turbo has 2 turbos so could be expensive if they fail.

In terms of heated it depends SRI spec doesn't normally have heated seats unless they've added at time of build, or retrofitted by owner, Easy to tell as there will be to seat buttons on the heater panel. On a side note drivers side heated seat can suffer with a common fault of turning off after 2-5mins (it's well documented on this site).

Audio streaming only if it has a CD400PLUS (note there a few version of this and rare to find it in an astra with audio streaming), cd600, navi650PLUS (rare to be fitted), Navi950.

Stock speakers is a mix I found them rubbish others find them good, I guess it all depends on ear and personal opinion.

If looking at the 2.0cdti DPF is the biggest thing really as many do not understand it and Vauxhall think you only need to be told when your on your last attempt at doing a regen.
My advise is the first thing you do is fit a DPF warning LED. https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-HOW...ARNING-LED

If there are any want to know the full spec of by all means drop us the reg/s via PM and I can get you the full build spec.

I know you were looking the GTC but there is good spec 5-door bi-turbo for sale I know the owner & know the car has been well looked after and serviced, he is part of the admin team on our Facebook group. It has the 950 with audio streaming along with heated seats & I know it has rear camera which wasn't fitted at factory (as I programmed the radio for him and supplied the camera & loom).
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/...1-WN5uy2Rs
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
As rusty says, 2.0d by far best engine, 1.6 are ok but a bit flat. Heavy car for an n/a engine. The 1.4 and 1.6 turbos offer that bit more power but have their own issues like a timing chain that needs replacing which I believe is expensive and the 6vspeed gearbox is all over the internet for issues.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
Thanks for the info guys! @rusty that is one nice astra you friend has but a little out of my price range unfortunately. I will keep searching for the right one, and I'm sure I will let you know what Ive ended up with. I always join car forums when I've bought I new motor and there seems to be a lot of info and good knowledge on here. Again, thanks you!