Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
coolant is milkshake

Coolant is milkshake
Astra J auto Sri, 2010 plate, 50k miles. 

The coolant in the expansion tank has turned into what I can only describe as a thick chocolate milkshake. Currently arguing with a finance company as I haven’t had the car long. Assumed it was an oil cooler problem however two garages won’t touch it because it might not be an oil cooler issue, Vauxhall themselves have quoted six hours to flush and strip it all for a diagnosis but think it’s engine oil and not transmission oil and have said it might need a new engine.

Third local Indy garage got me down there to show me it has the wrong radiator on it because it has a blanked off intercooler and it’s a petrol car, they also won’t touch it.

Any ideas? Any recommendations on where I can take it in the Nottinghamshire area?
That's a strange one, sounds head gasket to me but as your gearbox should cool through a separate circuit in your radiator I believe it could have burst on the inside, I'd be flushing the engine and changing the radiator first.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
most likely the head gasket, but can be the engine oil cooler (if fitted). Is there any sludge in the sump / on the dipstick ?

One option to flush out the coolant system is to drain the current oily sludge, fill back up with tap water and add half a cup of Ariel washing powder to the coolant. Run up to temperature and drain the liquid, repeat until the system is clean.

Obviously you still need to fix the leak, but the above method does work to remove the sludge, plus your car also smells fresh for a few days lol
You may need to play the song I'm forever blowing bubbles lol.

Sorry not helpful I know but all I had were visions for the car blowing bubbles while running washing powder through it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
as strange as it sounds, it works. I used this method on a zafira, took three attempts to remove the oil.

ps: no bubbles either lol
When I worked for volvo it was their official guideline, so I agree. Daft as I sound I think it had to be non biological.

It does work though for sure
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  coolant pressure tester chuzzle359 0 1,118 14:th-Apr-2021, 18:23:08
Last Post: chuzzle359
  Coolant light coming on when coolant is full (new sensor and no leaks) baffling me! Brasseyebaby 3 2,970 2:nd-Feb-2021, 21:12:47
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 coolant leak Nathan191210 1 2,074 1:st-Oct-2020, 07:02:07
Last Post: Rusty2009
  coolant tank hose ref needed alexy357 1 2,403 4:th-Mar-2019, 08:43:32
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Slow coolant loss Dennis S 21 21,852 8:th-Jan-2018, 11:13:20
Last Post: Dennis S
  Retrofit Coolant and Wiper Fluid Sensors sheppy1 11 8,064 27:th-Mar-2015, 10:12:34
Last Post: sheppy1
  Wiper fluid and coolant bottle sensors sheppy1 6 5,316 22:nd-Mar-2015, 20:57:15
Last Post: sheppy1