Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
rust

Rust!
Just picked my 15 plate Astra GTC and came across a few rust spots! Will this be batted back to me as stonechips or is this a common problems. The rust spots are just above the rubber of the windscreen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

wwhat is going on with the gtc and estate astras, ive heard of people having to get vauxhall to respray them, isnt there such a thing as quality control
I would say the fact its a 15 plate I would take it back to the dealer and get them to fix it sooner rather than later.

I have a 63 plate GTC and no rust spots so far.
Yeah as soon as they open at 9am ill be phoning them
I would take it back.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I had this on a year old Navara I had and Nissan tried to claim it was from a stone chip and not a fault!

Good luck but my 12 plate doesn't have rust.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
I have booked it into Arnold Clark Vauxhall for next week and they are going to look at it so fingers crossed they repair it
good luck,
Don't forget to post back after it's been looked at, every story needs a beginning, a middle and an end. :-)
Also have rust on my car, but the dealer is assholes so I do not set a foot there again.. I fix it myself, then I know how its done and not just painted over with rust still underneth.

Pretty sure it is stone and salt that made my rust except on the boot. Car has run 14k now so pherhaps it is time, still the old 940 has less rust :s
I had the same issue with mines mate, the paint on all the gtc's and j's are supposedly really thin. I had to push to get my whole roof resprayed and its only a 13 plate. the fact that its a 15 plate with rusting says it all really, get it back to thm and have them sort it
Well i took the car in on Tuesday and they said they arent bothering to send pictures to Vauxhall of the rust as they are saying the rust is caused by stonechips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(14:th-Apr-2016, 08:44:16)J1ODYA Wrote: I had this on a year old Navara I had and Nissan tried to claim it was from a stone chip and not a fault!

Good luck but my 12 plate doesn't have rust.

Afraid looks like I'm right... having said that the gtc is notorious for getting stone chios from the wheels. My drivers door is peppered in them oddly.

Using Tapatalk
(21:st-Apr-2016, 21:57:35)KRISGTC Wrote: Well i took the car in on Tuesday and they said they arent bothering to send pictures to Vauxhall of the rust as they are saying the rust is caused by stonechips

Is the galvanization visible? Or, not know the english word for it, "paint before color"-layer?

On my stone chips edges is sharp and no rust is coming from underneth and lift the paint... same on yours?
I have just discovered the exact same issue on my 60 plate 5 door. I'm guessing it'll be a pain to remedy due to the proximity to the window
same on the insignia one rust spot just above front window
I had this exactly the same on a 62 astra with 28k miles!!!
this is disgusting however to balance it, i had a 4 month old streetka in 2006, one day as i got out my foot pushed the seal of the door, so i tried to put it back on, it was only when i got close i saw, surface rust, on a 4 month old bloomin car, i took it back to ford who just renewed the seals, i then decided to check, the rust was on both sides so abit of sanding and a lick of hammerite and i shoved the seals back on,
(29:th-Apr-2016, 08:03:26)mrtc Wrote: this is disgusting however to balance it, i had a 4 month old streetka in 2006, one day as i got out my foot pushed the seal of the door, so i tried to put it back on, it was only when i got close i saw, surface rust, on a 4 month old bloomin car, i took it back to ford who just renewed the seals, i then decided to check, the rust was on both sides so abit of sanding and a lick of hammerite and i shoved the seals back on,
Best thing you can do for a KA is to let it rust away.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
lol, i had 2, the streetka could of been a good car if ford had put a 16v free revving engine instead of th dog 8v it had, and the interior needed finnishing off, it was nearly there but not quite right, they were cheap when it came to the trim
I'd have tried a different dealership never really got on with Arnold Clark. They just want to get cars out the door.
I know they are a shower of fannies

Found more rust on my hatch/boot/door on my Sport Tourer underneth the lamp.. gonna take a better look at it this summer. Maybe the plastic has rubbed against the metal and little salt on that and game is over. I am not happy.
Sorry to bump an old thread but how did you end up getting it fixed I’ve just noticed I’ve got a few rust spots above the windscreen?
(16:th-Jan-2018, 10:22:20)Jamesgordonmcc12 Wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread but how did you end up getting it fixed I’ve just noticed I’ve got a few rust spots above the windscreen?

Was hoping for a response too, I bought a 63 plate from Arnold Clark just over a year ago, and the rust on the roof is terrible.  Strangely enough, the service history I was promised never turned up and now they're not interested in looking at the rust under warranty.

I also wondered what was the going rate for a proper repair job
(10:th-Apr-2018, 09:55:36)MarkMcLuskey Wrote:
(16:th-Jan-2018, 10:22:20)Jamesgordonmcc12 Wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread but how did you end up getting it fixed I’ve just noticed I’ve got a few rust spots above the windscreen?

Was hoping for a response too, I bought a 63 plate from Arnold Clark just over a year ago, and the rust on the roof is terrible.  Strangely enough, the service history I was promised never turned up and now they're not interested in looking at the rust under warranty.

I also wondered what was the going rate for a proper repair job

hi

welcome to the forum

please come and introduce yourself in the introduction area

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Forum-Introduction-Area
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
The paint does have a 1 yr warranty on it.

Other than that, it's a 6 yr corrosion warranty, and is for perforation only. You have to prove the rust has come through the panel from the other side.

But the car needs to be inspected yearly, and verified by having the service book stamped.

I suspect any rust above the windscreen has come about by leaving stone chips untreated.
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you any rust on your Astra J ? Dennis S 2 4,231 30:th-Jun-2017, 13:13:59
Last Post: Big Dave2