Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
putting j road back the on

Putting the J back on the road
After about 11 months I have decided to put my J back on the road. During the time it's been stood its been on the drive but only started on average maybe once a month.
The handbrake has been off the whole of this time but the car has only infrequently been started and moved a little.
The brake discs and pads had maybe done 1k miles only before I took the car off the road but now look very rusty.

My question is this - is it possible that the brakes will still be operational and indeed pass an MOT?

The MOT expired during it's time stood so it'll need to pass an MOT as soon as I can get it booked in.
I have priced up a full set of discs and pads and can replace all relatively cheaply, but obviously would prefer not to have to.

Thanks for any ideas/advice, Craig.
(2:nd-Jan-2018, 10:44:07)CraigSRi Wrote: After about 11 months I have decided to put my J back on the road. During the time it's been stood its been on the drive but only started on average maybe once a month.
The handbrake has been off the whole of this time but the car has only infrequently been started and moved a little.
The brake discs and pads had maybe done 1k miles only before I took the car off the road but now look very rusty.

My question is this - is it possible that the brakes will still be operational and indeed pass an MOT?

The MOT expired during it's time stood so it'll need to pass an MOT as soon as I can get it booked in.
I have priced up a full set of discs and pads and can replace all relatively cheaply, but obviously would prefer not to have to.

Thanks for any ideas/advice, Craig.

in my opinion they should clean up themselves after a couple of applications , try them 1st to see
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
just driving it to the MOT should clean off the discs (assuming it's more than 100yards away)
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
You would be fine, just drive the car around the block a couple of times, will feel rough the first time you brake but they will clean off within a short drive. No need to replace after that short spell off the road.
Thanks guys, I'll maybe try going round the block a few times immediately before it goes for it's MOT and hopefully that will help
If it's got a manual handbrake then apply it gently a few times, or even better drive with it partially on. It'll remove the surface rust from the rear discs quicker than just relying on the foot brake.
(4:th-Jan-2018, 12:41:29)Big Dave2 Wrote: If it's got a manual handbrake then apply it gently a few times, or even better drive with it partially on. It'll remove the surface rust from the rear discs quicker than just relying on the foot brake.

Its got the electronic parking brake unfortunately
You can still apply the electronic brake while moving forward very slowly. The car will come to a stop but the pads and discs will have rubbed a bit. Try this a few times? It will take longer but I guess it will also get the trick done.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTC Front Road Spring Query ed-b 0 2,632 28:th-Oct-2017, 19:06:15
Last Post: ed-b
  Faulty back light Jon3sy 4 5,285 24:th-Aug-2017, 17:04:11
Last Post: sparkyscfc74
  Uneven Road Surface and Getting a distant knock from the front.... Vx-Mad-G 10 7,157 5:th-Mar-2017, 19:57:53
Last Post: bannan
  Cat Back vs Turbo Back Exhaust. SI SRI 3 4,754 1:st-Sep-2014, 21:54:33
Last Post: SI SRI
  Finally getting my VXR back time to start upgrading cornishtaz 32 15,225 8:th-May-2014, 15:17:58
Last Post: tucpal