Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
dab solution usb and for best

Best solution for DAB and USB
Hi, guys, I scouted the web and got really confused with the matter.

I have a 2013 Astra J elite with the cd400 and I am looking for a practical solution to fit a USB and if possible a DAB too. USB has the priority.
I was considering an aftermarket head unit but the price is quite high and the car might be sold in 2 year time so something n the cheaper side would be better.

I thought about a Bluetooth car kit but I would like to have full control on the music stored on the phone without having to touch it to change album/playlist.

Any feasible solution?
Factory fitted isn't cheap also.
The USB kit is around £150 then there is fitting & programming on top of that.
DAB you can pick UBT module pretty cheap on ebay the U4D (DAB+) is rarer and not so cheap.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Don’t know if this is of any interest,but I’ve got a dab module, cd400 head unit and display on eBay for £60 not 100% if it would be compatible. But personally I’d go down the route of getting an android unit like a lot have done on here. It would solve most of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice I will probably go down the route of fitting an aftermarket android unit.
My problem is that I would like to get it fitted by someone expert? I have no idea how to do it and don't want to screw up something.
Do you know any place in Hertfordshire/Essex which able to fit those units?
Hi, trust me they’re really easy to install even for a novice. There’s a good how to On here which I used for removing everything and loads of people to help if you get stuck. I’ve stripped mine down that many times now for reverse camera, front camera etc I can do it in 5 minutes I’m not from your area, so I wouldn’t know about installers but I’ll bet someone on here does. I’ve got a B5754 Android unit from Icebox which I can recommend I’ve had no issues with it at. Hope this helps?

I went to halfword yesterday and had a look at their car stereo. They told me they can fit it and I was thinking to get something like this one.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001

Would be possible?
Hi, yes it’s possible to have this fitted, but you would need a new facia and some wiring harness at an extra cost so that would up the price along with fitting.
Something like this
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-...SwQupXVwKZ

(18:th-Jan-2018, 11:19:17)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Hi, yes it’s possible to have this fitted, but you would need a new facia and some wiring harness at an extra cost so that would up the price along with fitting.
Something like this
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-...SwQupXVwKZ

NO way then. I dig into the one you were mentioning before. The system seems quite cool. On icebox there are few info though does it support sd card or usb stick for the music?
Yeah it does mate 2 x USB ports and 1 x micro sd card slot plus 32gb storage

I do have a pioneer f88 dab radio, as people say it is not the cheapest solution available but it is fantastic system.
Looked at the Chinese head unit. It seems that it might give some problem at least that's what some people said.
I was considering the car-vision unit. They sell it as OEM but looks like it's a custom.
From what I’ve read on here I’d stay well away from car vision!!!

(20:th-Jan-2018, 21:17:26)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: From what I’ve read on here I’d stay well away from car vision!!!

Never had a problem with them myself.

Had my satnav/Bluetooth system installed by them over 2½ years ago.

They were very professional, polite, and courteous with me. John even spent nearly an hour on the phone with me answering all my questions before I decided on having a system fitted.

I had a couple of questions after the system had been fitted, and again John and the team were most helpful, as were they a year later when I wanted to update the mapping software to take advantage of the free update.
I think as with most things you’ll have your for and against

Check this out for a piece of kit!!!
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32848956...5562ev3oId

I am also considering upgrading the cd 400 to the Navi 500. Had a chat with Andy from vxmod and the system come with the usb. Price will be around 500 though
Did some research yesterday evening. The top two solutions are the android aftermarket unit and the OEM retrofitting Navi system.

The first has the android benefit. I am used to android and I like the possibility to have a lot of satnav app and apps to chose from. However it is an aftermarket Chinese product and problem might arise.

The OEM Navi system is tested and "official" probably with less function than the android unit and the maps can be a problem since they can be out of date. Buying the update from vauxhall might be a solution but it is an expensive one.

Price wise the two are more or less the same (considering that I am not that confident to mount the android unit myself).

What is your advice guys?
Although the android unit is Chinese as are most aftermarket stereos, if you buy from Icebox you’ll have a 2 year warranty plus after sale care. I can’t comment on oem units because I’ve never had one.

Sparky couple of more questions if you don't mind.
What is the boot time of your unit?
How is the screen? Any glare?
GPS signal?
The steering wheel controls works only if you are within the music app or no?
Boot time if it’s completely powered down is about 30 seconds. It only tends to do that over night, if not it’s instant. I haven’t suffered from any screen glare, but if you were sat at traffic lights and the sun was directly on the screen you would get some. GPS signal is brilliant, I’ve got mine on the dash in front of the centre speaker with the cable hidden. The steering wheel controls work for answering calls, ending calls, mute function, volume control, switching between music, radio, cd and switching track or radio station depending on what function you’re on. Hope this helps?

Yep that help!