Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
errors hid

HID errors
So, I purchased some HIDs from HID direct and have installed them but am now getting constant errors or check dipped headlight lamp.

I purchased the kit recommended and on and was just wondering if anyone could offer some advise on order to resolve these errors. Don't mind purchasing a decoder but have no idea which.

Kit:
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/new-premiu...us-system/

Thank you.
You've got the correct 35W setup so in theory you shouldn't be having any errors.

I would contact HID-direct and get them to sort it for you.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
These should work: https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/smart-canb...c-fix-x-2/

These are just resistors like every other "decoder" since there's nothing to decode
As rusty says above you shouldn't get errors as I have the exact same setup and have no issues at all, so must be a faulty batch as I used to get errors on a previous kit from somewhere else and as soon as I changed to the one above I have had no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
They seem to have pictures from 2 different versions on product page. Did yours come with little black box attached to ballast that says smart system on it?
Think they may have done but not 100% as it was about 8 months ago I fitted them and they are under the headlights lol, will try and have a look at the weekend for you and get back to you on it.

Messaged them and they advised there not 100% guaranteed to be error free... I've made the plunge and purchased the decoder, although I would have preferred not to.. seems pointless buying a more expensive canbus system when it gives errors lol.

As I installed them without removing the bumper just struggling to find a ideal mounting point for everything now.
Just noticed this thread so apologies for being so late (hopefully you've got it fixed).

I've been posting on the Facebook group regarding the HID kit.

I ordered 2 kits, one form Lush Lighting & one from HIDs Direct.
Both of these kits sent the same ballast which seems to be the "newest" revision. However on my 64 GTC it didn't work. Both kits, even when using the extra error decoders still gave errors. I think this new ballast doesn't play well with the already temperamental Astra canbus.

I spoke to a member on the Facebook group who has a 64 plate GTC & ordered from HIDs direct. When he ordered it (many months ago) he was given a different ballast. When I contacted they said the one I received was the latest & greatest so should work. If it was giving errors it's my car being temperamental & they didn't have other ballasts.

After some Googling I found out the older ballast which one of the members had was an EKLIGHT Q4 ballast. I actually found this ballast for sale on HIDs Direct & when I queried they said that this ballast would be compatible with the bulbs etc. It left me a bit annoyed as I asked if there was alternatives in my initial email & was told no, then when I asked about the other kit then was told yes.
It was becoming too much of a hassle for me though as I'd need to order the "older" ballast to test, pay for returns etc etc. & this was my 2nd kit with the same ballast so I just sent the kit back.

In a "last attempt" I ended up going with the kit from London Colour: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-CANBUS-E...gFwRd6DjGw

While a bit more expensive, I ordered it as I knew it definitely was a different ballast from the last 2 kits.

I fitted this kit at the weekend & this kit worked perfect. No errors on the dash & I've been using it over the last few days with no problems at all.

HIDs Direct & Lush Lighting were really responsive & helpful for the most part with everything so don't let the "dodgy" ballast put you off. It was just a shame I had to do some digging & be a bit out of pocket before I got all the info I needed.
I'd suggest though if ordering HIDs from HIDs Direct in future & you have a GTC Astra, try get the older Q4 ballast in your kit instead of this newer one as it at least is confirmed working by a member of the group.

Of course this is just my mileage on the HID upgrade path, yours might vary but thought I'd chuck in my experience .

If you need pics etc. for mounting or to compare ballasts give me a shout & I'll post them up for reference.
Did your errors ever go away after starting and stopping the car a few times? I ask as I have some aftermarket HIDs with ballasts also and pretty much every day I'll get an error when I turn the lights on... But sometimes neither headlight turns on, sometimes only one will and sometimes both. I just have to keep turning the car on and off till they both come on! No idea what the issue is

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Your issue is down to the ballasts not getting enough power, there is one ballast that does work but can't remember what one as I had the same issue as yourself, failing that you would need to fit a relay harness which would also cure your issue as I initially fitted this which worked brilliant until I found the other ballasts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Osram cool blue h7 errors Sh4rk2007 6 4,573 2:nd-Aug-2017, 16:01:50
Last Post: Sh4rk2007