Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to used gtc what look buying for when

What to look for when buying used GTC
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice.

I currently drive a 1.8 Civic Type-s. Its been a good work horse for the last four years but is now showing its age as it approaches 115k on the clock.

I tend to keep my cars for around 4-5 years and do around 18K a year, so need something reliable.

Two cars have caught my eye. the first is a 2013 1.6T sri with 24k on the clock. The other is a 2.0 CDTi sport with 23K on the clock.

I'm leaning towards the 1.6T as I mainly drive b roads and when I owned a Corolla diesel I found the heavier engine made the car wallow a bit in the corners. I also had issues with it towards the end going into limp mode but not throwing any codes up. So I'm wary of diesels.

When looking at the GTC is there any common faults I should look for such as areas where paint in know to wear or rust locations (the Type-s would rust under the door seal at the corner of the window).

Any trim know to come loose?

Finally I've read on this site about the M32 gearbox and to be honest nearly decided not to touch a GTC. Is the M32 really a big issue. I read on one site that it was revised in mid 2012. Are 2013+ cars fairing any better with the gearbox?

How reliable are the turbo's?

Thanks for any and all advice
(14:th-Jul-2017, 13:58:19)Padster Wrote: Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice.

I currently drive a 1.8 Civic Type-s. Its been a good work horse for the last four years but is now showing its age as it approaches 115k on the clock.

I tend to keep my cars for around 4-5 years and do around 18K a year, so need something reliable.

Two cars have caught my eye. the first is a 2013 1.6T sri with 24k on the clock. The other is a 2.0 CDTi sport with 23K on the clock.

I'm leaning towards the 1.6T as I mainly drive b roads and when I owned a Corolla diesel I found the heavier engine made the car wallow a bit in the corners. I also had issues with it towards the end going into limp mode but not throwing any codes up. So I'm wary of diesels.

When looking at the GTC is there any common faults I should look for such as areas where paint in know to wear or rust locations (the Type-s would rust under the door seal at the corner of the window).

Finally I've read on this site about the M32 gearbox and to be honest nearly decided not to touch a GTC. Is the M32 really a big issue. I read on one site that it was revised in mid 2012. Are 2013+ cars fairing any better with the gearbox?

(15:th-Jul-2017, 10:02:55)andyp hi took delivery of my 1.6t sri 6 weeks ago, it replaced a 2.0 diesel BMW, think you will find after the Honda the build quality is not as good , all feels a bit flimsy , go\s as well as the BM 0to 60 a lot faster 60/80 seems a  bit slower, mpg is 36mpg. Wrote:
(14:th-Jul-2017, 13:58:19)Padst Wrote: Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice.

Well I bit the bullet and went for the 1.6 just too wary of diesels after my corolla. I thought the build compared to the Honda ok. The 8th gen Civic is a reliable car but very plastic inside.

Hopefully I'll get 36ish also as that is around what I was getting in the Civic.
Glad you made your mind up.

Just be careful with that M32 box.

I would of said go with the 2.0cdti drev but I'm a drev man.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Is the M32 really that bad - I convinced myself that its in so many makes and models that probably percentage wise its no weaker the other boxes