Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
camera

Camera
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum - please be gentle

A couple of weeks ago I had my Vectra written off, as a result of which I am now a happy Astra J, 2012, 2.0CDTI sri owner ( well - will be on Saturday when I pick it up! ).
I must say, car is lovely, but missing a few "essentials".

I've placed an order for the M072 Android HU ( S160), and already own an Inphase USW10 underseat sub so will get those fitted in spare time.

I would also like to retro fit a reversing camera and with no previous knowledge I have the following questions:

1. What kind of a camera do I need? I've read somewhere that the J's cameras can go into the boot handle ( Don't want to drill in the bumper + I think it will be easier to wire it to the reverse light, but can't find one anywhere that would look suitable ). A link would be nice if anyone would be so kind.

2. Not sure what this feature is called, but will this camera adjust the "marking lines" as I turn the wheels?

Many Thanks!
Patrick
Hi welcome to VXOC.

rear camera
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-view-came...Swx6pYqZVI

If you don't want to run the wires all the way to front you could also get a wireless kit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4G-Wireless-...SwQaJXQsIl

On the M072 unit it doesn't turn the lines.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks Rusty,

I've searched ebay, and came accross the one you've linked to, but it appears to be a number plate camera?
( Am I right in assuming that it will be more of a hard work to wire this to the rverse light, since they are in the actuall tailgate )

I've read somewhere on this forum that the J's can have a camera fitted into the boot realeas handle - would this fit?

Shame about the lines. It certainly is a nice feature.

Many Thanks
It's not any harder TBH, pop bumper off slightly run through the rubber grommet on the LH side & connect to the wire behind the trim panel on the LH side.

Yes you can fit one in the boot handle if you have £300 spare to buy the handle which has space for the camera.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
That''s a pass on the handle then.
Is there any disadvantage of using the wireless kit over a wired one?

Thanks
Welcome to Vxoc mate

I have the M072 unit and have this reverse camera. Been spot on - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0154QAEZK/r...dzbP7P3FN0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate,

How did you find the wiring to the reverse light?
Rusty mentioned it was pretty straight forward, but I am worried that ( with limited knowledge ) I will:
a) break the plastic clips
b) take the bumper off and won't be able put it back on lol

I've read a few how to's on parking sensors ( same principle I believe ), but still somehow think it is going to be a massive job.
If you follow the how to's mate you'll have no trouble! It's not that big of a job, just daunting. At first but now I've had both bumpers off it's a doddle

The only disadvantage of the wireless kit a 1-2 seconds delay.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I have the wireless reverse camera as well and it works fine. Number Plate light fitting. Trickiest bit is feeding the wires through the grommet without taking the bumper off. I used a BBQ skewer and taped the wires to it. Simples

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Thanks for the replies!

Picked the car up today and it's brilliant, really smooth drive compared to my Vectra and the 2.0CDTI is suprisingly quite when crusing around.
Average MPG for today 52.8 ( on board computer ) based on 126 mile trip, mainly motorway & a roads. Great figures compared to my Vectras 38-39MPG on a similiar trip.

Marcus, as far as the wires go, did you pull the bumper away at all or did you manage to "thread" them through the lights cut out?
(6:th-May-2017, 20:26:28)Patrick050289 Wrote: Thanks for the replies!

Picked the car up today and it's brilliant, really smooth drive compared to my Vectra and the 2.0CDTI is suprisingly quite when crusing around.
Average MPG for today 52.8 ( on board computer ) based on 126 mile trip, mainly motorway & a roads. Great figures compared to my Vectras 38-39MPG on a similiar trip.

Marcus, as far as the wires go, did you pull the bumper away at all or did you manage to "thread" them through the lights cut out?
No left the bumper in place. The wires can be fed through the left hand side light. Not possible on the right.

The 2.0cdti is a really great motorway cruiser. You hardly feel the speed. 6th gear is a bit useless under 60mph though. Pedal box sharpens up the engine response quite a bit.

2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Thank you!
I'll give it a go next weekend.

On another note, do any of you have an idea what the power output is on the CD400/M072?
I will be installing a M072 at the same time and I am curious if the new unit is likely to improve the sound on stock speakers.
(7:th-May-2017, 18:33:12)Patrick050289 Wrote: Thank you!
I'll give it a go next weekend.

On another note, do any of you have an idea what the power output is on the CD400/M072?
I will be installing a M072 at the same time and I am curious if the new unit is likely to improve the sound on stock speakers.

Unsure of the power output as never looked however my M072 unit has a lot better sound than standard cd400 unit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front facing camera behind the rear view mirror? ellis0896 3 5,503 26:th-Dec-2016, 19:26:43
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Reverse Camera wiring sheppy1 13 7,413 5:th-Feb-2016, 18:06:19
Last Post: tucpal