Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
help visor needed sun replacement

Sun Visor Replacement - Help Needed
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. The sun visor flaps on my Astra J have snapped off and so the lights on the visors no longer come on. I have ordered a complete pair of visors off eBay already but need help with swapping the old ones for the replacements if possible.

I have read the how to on removing the visors on the forum, is it just a simple case of following this again once the new visors come in the post?

Another though, is it possible to just swap the flap over from the replacements to the new ones? Know that would mean I've wasted my money on the complete visor but I noticed a lot of people on here mentioning that buying the complete visor was the easiest option to get a new flap.

Hoping someone can help!!

Cheers
Hi,

Yes to refit is the opposite of removal.

You maybe able to change just the flap, but buying a complete unit is the only way to get the flap.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Great thanks for the help. Hoping the actual job is as easy as the guide makes it look!

The replacement visors came today from eBay and thanks to the guide I managed to get them fitted in under 30 minutes! This was a hugge achievement for me, I've never dared to anything myself to my own car so thanks again for the help!! (I've attached some pics of my work cos the missus doesn't care and I needed to show someone  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,
I have the exact same problem. I've already removed the visor but cannot locate the connector for the wire, so although I can put the new visor on the vanity lights next to the mirror won't work as there is no electrical connection. Any help thanks.
(17:th-Jun-2017, 13:57:19)Steveb19111978 Wrote: Hi,
I have the exact same problem. I've already removed the visor but cannot locate the connector for the wire, so although I can put the new visor on the vanity lights next to the mirror won't work as there is no electrical connection. Any help thanks.

The connection is hidden under the white tape they put up there.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Hi,

My flap has just snapped on the corner of the drivers side sun visor. I tried superglue to repair the hinge, but it's the wrong type of plastic and didn't stick.

I tried removing the sun visor, but the wiring is stuck fast up in the head lining. I can only extract approx. an inch of wiring. Someone mentioned on another forum that I need to drop some of the head lining to get to the electrical connector? Can someone confirm?

A 2nd hand sun visor from ebay for an Astra-J seems a bit pricey. Does anyone know if the mirror dimensions are the same on other Vauxhall sun visors, such as the Vectra-C, Astra-H, etc as they seem cheaper? Or more specifically the flap itself is the same size, as that's all I need, providing I can get the correct colour?

I was wondering if I could get away with just swapping the hinged flap over, rather than replacing the whole sun visor assembly. If it is possible, how hard is it to refit the flap?

Thanks.
(21:st-Aug-2018, 11:50:49)Big Dave2 Wrote: Hi,

My flap has just snapped on the corner of the drivers side sun visor. I tried superglue to repair the hinge, but it's the wrong type of plastic and didn't stick.

I tried removing the sun visor, but the wiring is stuck fast up in the head lining. I can only extract approx. an inch of wiring. Someone mentioned on another forum that I need to drop some of the head lining to get to the electrical connector? Can someone confirm?

A 2nd hand sun visor from ebay for an Astra-J seems a bit pricey. Does anyone know if the mirror dimensions are the same on other Vauxhall sun visors, such as the Vectra-C, Astra-H, etc as they seem cheaper? Or more specifically the flap itself is the same size, as that's all I need, providing I can get the correct colour?

I was wondering if I could get away with just swapping the hinged flap over, rather than replacing the whole sun visor assembly. If it is possible, how hard is it to refit the flap?

Thanks.

You could drop the light unit that will give you hand room rather than dropping the liner.

I think only J and insignia are the same.

I don't think you can just swap flap.

I've found this for £25.
http://www.megavaux.co.uk/part-sunvisor_...14298.aspx
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(23:rd-Aug-2018, 09:57:16)Rusty2009 Wrote: [quote pid='48983' dateline='1534848649']
You could drop the light unit that will give you hand room rather than dropping the liner.

I think only J and insignia are the same.

I don't think you can just swap flap.

I've found this for £25.
http://www.megavaux.co.uk/part-sunvisor_...14298.aspx

Cheers. I'll bear that link in mind as it currently says "Product out of stock"

The part number is also handy to search elsewhere too.

I'm going to attempt to glue the plastic back together with acetone, or other plastic melting chemicals. Nothing to lose other than a bit of time.
Someone replied on a Vectra forum about the flap size on the Vectra-C. it is larger than the Astra-J, so bang goes that idea.

Astra-J 187 x 72 mm.

Vectra-C 200 x 85 mm.

I've tried gluing the snapped part back in place again with superglue, but this time also leaving the pin in to act as a larger surface area for the glue to adhere too. I've then carefully run a soldering iron around the crack to heat weld it for a stronger bond.

Only problem I've got now is refitting the flap. I can get the repaired side back in, but then have insert the pin on the other side. I've already lost the original pin within the sun visor somewhere and had to make a couple more from some welding rod. Will have another go later.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navi 600 to 900 upgrade problem! Help needed ASAP! bh03an 5 15,116 29:th-Aug-2020, 20:34:20
Last Post: iamwalsh