Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
ghost noise

ghost noise
Hi my 2011 Astra J 1.7 CDTI has a strange noise that is getting more and more frequent, when i accelerate away and dip the clutch to change gear, there is a ghostly noise that starts off quiet and gets louder, it got worse when i changed the fuel filter, but then became less common for almost a year, but has now come back with a vengeance. I almost think it could be to do with fuel pressure?
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and how they got rid of it. The car itself drives fine with no issues at all
An odd one this that I've not heard of before.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I agree very odd, but does become more frequent with the fuel filter change and then seems to settle down, but it doesn't seen to affect the car in any way. When i say ghost noise i literally mean

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (starts off quiet gets loader)
I have the 17cdti and I get a noise. Thinks the corrrct diagnosis is "turkey noise". If it is this it's harmless but annoying. It's air in the fuel feed pipe and fuel filter. I did get it fixed under warranty which was to replace the fuel feed pipes but it's never a permanent fix. Now when the filter is changed it stops for a few weeks then comes back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(9:th-Mar-2017, 14:53:03)richje100 Wrote: I have the 17cdti and I get a noise. Thinks the corrrct diagnosis is "turkey noise". If it is this it's harmless but annoying. It's air in the fuel feed pipe and fuel filter. I did get it fixed under warranty which was to replace the fuel feed pipes but it's never a permanent fix. Now when the filter is changed it stops for a few weeks then comes back.

Thanks for the reply richje100,
it does sound like the same thing, Your probably not going to know this, but I wonder what changing the lines does? different diameter or something? I have had a couple of suggestions that may be worth a try .....? Firstly to make sure that the filter is a genuine one as the flow rate would be a lot greater than an aftermarket one, and to try a quality fuel system cleaner (BG44K was always pretty good) 

What are your thoughts?
I'm not to sure if there is a permanent fix, apparently by VX there isn't and it's a simple design flaw with the 1.7's.
Here's my thread where it was first suggested but the vids don't seem to work, think I deleted them from my YouTube account
Whirring noise

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_f...are_type=t

Using Tapatalk
(10:th-Mar-2017, 18:20:19)richje100 Wrote: I'm not to sure if there is a permanent fix, apparently by VX there isn't and it's a simple design flaw with the 1.7's.
Here's my thread where it was first suggested but the vids don't seem to work, think I deleted them from my YouTube account
Whirring noise

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_f...are_type=t

Does this sound like a wobbly whining sound ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DOOR CHECK STRAP STOP FRONT RIGHT Making clicking noise caretaker 4 4,336 7:th-Aug-2019, 17:12:16
Last Post: caretaker
  Head repair weird air noise? trevorgetty@aol.com 5 4,181 1:st-Apr-2019, 15:39:45
Last Post: trevorgetty@aol.com