Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
hid conversion aftermarket

Aftermarket HID Conversion
Here are a few more photos:
  • Back side with dust cover on.
  • LED parallel resistors. There are 2 of these on each headlight and they are placed in parallel with the LED drivers: one of 'em is a 29 ohm 10 watt resistor and the other is an 8 ohm 20 watt resistor. These are probably used to prevent any on board computer faults.
  • [/url][url=https://s30.postimg.org/9bo46c7kf/2016_12_26_17_43_49.jpg]LED Driver. There are 2 of these unmarked boxes but my guess would be that they contain the LED driver. The LEDs are powered using PWM as I can see the flicker through my camera.
  • Crimped connectors. These are quite resilient as I tried pulling them apart and no luck. Nice of 'em to have used those rubber condoms to protect against the elements. Better than brittle solder joints.
  • 55W Osram bulb that came fitted for the high beam in case any one was wondering.  
As you can see, cable management... well there is not much of it to speak of.

According to the markings found on the back side of the headlights, the lens is made of poly carbonate and the rest is made of talc filled polypropylene  (20% talc) which should be good as this type of plastic is often used in applications where high rigidity at relatively high temps is required - common in car parts (if memory doesn't fail me, otherwise correct me if I'm wrong). FYI the melting point is around 230 C so keep that in mind if you plan on sticking an LED bulb in it. Speaking of which, due to the dust cover, you'll probably only be able to fit one of those bulbs that use braided metal strands for a heat sink.

I took the bulb from the high beam into the HID projector so I can take some pictures with the projector lit. Unfortunately my power supply cut out as it isn't capable of delivering the 6 amps at 12v the Osram bulb needs so I actually took it outside and hooked it up to the car so sorry for the snow. Here are some pics of the headlight lit up (note that the camera compensated for the yellow halogen. It's actually much more yellowish and the LEDs are  a bit more white-ish). DRL Only; Low Beam On; Beam Pattern - that wall was the best thing I could point the light at. Anyway you could tell from the picture that the halogen inside the projector isn't all that bright. 

My next step, given that they're not OEM, would be to wrap them in UV resistant transparent foil to protect them from scratching and delay any hazing. After that, I'm thinking of doing something about those dangling wires and finally fit them on the car.

Messages In This Thread
Aftermarket HID Conversion - by i.rosca - 26:th-Dec-2016, 10:37:39
RE: Aftermarket HID Conversion - by i.rosca - 27:th-Dec-2016, 00:42:54
RE: Aftermarket HID Conversion - by tucpal - 27:th-Dec-2016, 21:23:40
RE: Aftermarket HID Conversion - by i.rosca - 28:th-Feb-2017, 08:15:57
RE: Aftermarket HID Conversion - by i.rosca - 5:th-Mar-2017, 13:53:23
RE: Aftermarket HID Conversion - by i.rosca - 1:st-Apr-2017, 11:49:44

Who read this thread?
2 User(s) read this thread:
M.Duman (28:th-May-2023, 00:09:46), mc92661 (13:th-Sep-2023, 20:51:20)