Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
cooler oil a16xer

A16XER oil cooler
Hi
Does anyone know if the oil cooler on the 1.6 na engine is prone to leaking oil in to the cooling system. My daughter's car has oil on the surface of the water in the coolant header tank. I have drained and flushed the system twice and cleaned inside the header tank, only for the oil to return again. There isn't a great amount in there, but would like to find the cause .

The car has done 55k miles and has been well serviced and looked after. I suppose it could be the head gasket , hopefully not.
On my previous turbo cars the oil cooler was not in contact with water collant at all. Only way is trough gaskets in engine or pherhaps someone by mistake put oil in water.

No odd smoke from rear or "mud" inside of oil lid? Grey oil?
[quote='hejhopp123' pid='35092' dateline='1463936983']
On my previous turbo cars the oil cooler was not in contact with water collant at all. Only way is trough gaskets in engine or pherhaps someone by mistake put oil in water.

No odd smoke from rear or "mud" inside of oil lid? Grey oil?

Hi
Thanks for the reply
On the A16XER n/a engine the oil cooler is attached to the engine and is part of the oil filter housing. The coolant water passes through a heat exchanger which the oil passes over and is cooled. They are kept apart by neoprene gaskets.
If it is easy to dismount I would do that and pressurise the collant system with a pump. See if water comes out. Pherhaps a better way.. or just change the gaskets if easy and cheap.
(22:nd-May-2016, 21:28:21)hejhopp123 Wrote: If it is easy to dismount I would do that and pressurise the collant system with a pump. See if water comes out. Pherhaps a better way.. or just change the gaskets if easy and cheap.

It involves taking the exhaust manifold off as well as the oil filter housing .

My daughter is getting oil on the surface of the water in the coolant header tank. I have flushed the system and refilled twice only for the oil to return. I am hoping it isn't the head gasket leaking between oil and water port.
i would want to get that checked out asap for sure
I agree tucpal but where do you start oil cooler or head gasket?
The oil contamination is negligible but there. I will have to monitor it and see if it gets any worse
(23:rd-May-2016, 21:16:46)Steve64 Wrote: I agree tucpal but where do you start oil cooler or head gasket?
The oil contamination is negligible but there. I will have to monitor it and see if it gets  any worse

Good Day Steve64 did you by any chance find out what the culprit was from the presentation of Oil in your coolant reservoir. Was it the Oil cooler? or was your head gasket blown?

I have started to experience the same problem and have removed rocker cover head to check for mayo formation in the head, however system was completely clean.

Any advice is appreciated

thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil Cooler 1.4T Bear 4 2,086 8:th-Dec-2020, 21:14:57
Last Post: Jpbroad1970