Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
extended warranty

extended warranty
i bought a 12 gtc which i pick up next week. is it worth taking out an extended warranty on it or are they a waste of time
It's upto you I'd highly recommend you make sure you know what is covered and really read the small print.

I wouldn't take out extra warranty myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
the garage said it through the aa there 5 star warranty. the only reason im thinking of doing it is because the car is second hand and i have no idea about it
Depends how much it costs tbh... If it's only cheap then yeah go for it

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

it was £299 for 1 year £499 for two which was cheaper than i seen online
I work with a guy that takes these out with every car he buys and he has had the use of it with the past 2 days.

That was an AC unit on 1 car including belt which snapped due to the unit seizing.

The other was a gearbox problem which was fixed but his only covered something like £1500 for a year.
from what i gather they cover £2000 per claim after that you have to find the rest
I would look around more, you can get some good deals but you have to do a detailed search. Think of the things that are expensive to replace and ask if those items are covered. What GTC have you bought, what trim (SRI, Sport etc) what engine size?

Have a look at click4warranty.. I did a random check and I was given the following prices...

Take the £3000 pa cover for 3 years and you pay the following...

its a 2.0 cdti sri 21,000 miles

http://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/Used-Car-D...68186.aspx

the guy said it covers everything electrical and mechanical except wear and tear items
(13:th-May-2016, 15:56:21)evo Wrote: its a 2.0 cdti sri 21,000 miles

the guy said it covers everything electrical and mechanical except wear and tear items

If it doesn't cover wear and tear items you may as well forget it.
Put a Lil bit of money in a jar for car repairs, I've always done that for my cars and animals as I've had my fingers burnt with warrentys/insurance etc
(13:th-May-2016, 16:11:17)stigeye Wrote:
(13:th-May-2016, 15:56:21)evo Wrote: its a 2.0 cdti sri 21,000 miles

If it doesn't cover wear and tear items you may as well forget it.
No warranty will cover wear and tear items unless they've failed as a result of another none wear and tear item failing.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(15:th-May-2016, 16:02:26)bhalay207 Wrote: No warranty will cover wear and tear items unless they've failed as a result of another none wear and tear item failing.

LICK4WARRANTY INCLUDES COVER FOR WEAR AND TEAR AS STANDARD
Click4Warranty includes protection against both "mechanical breakdown" and "wear and tear", so your Click4Warranty policy WILL pay toward the cost of repairs if a part fails as a result of “wear and tear”.

Sometimes this means your car is in a better condition than it was before the breakdown. If this is the case we will ask you to pay a contribution toward the cost of repairs.

HOW WE HANDLE WEAR AND TEAR CLAIMS
We cover wear and tear from the first day of cover. If you make a valid claim that is attributable to wear and tear, and your car has covered less than 60,000 miles, we will cover the claim in full (up to your chosen claim limit.)

However, if your vehicle has covered more than 60,000 miles it’s not unreasonable to suggest that if, for example, your gearbox was repaired the car is actually in better condition after the repair than it was before. In this instance we would call for a contribution toward the repair costs. For example, if your car has covered 67,000 miles, we would require a 10% contribution i.e. on a £350 claim, you would be required to pay just £35.

As with all aspects of our products and service, we aim to provide clear information. The table below shows the contribution toward the cost of repair you will be required to pay depending on the mileage of your car at point of breakdown.

Up to 60,000 miles no contribution required
Up to 70,000 miles 10%
Up to 80,000 miles 20%
Up to 90,000 miles 30%
Up to 100,000 miles 40%
Over 100,000 miles 50%

I could list quite a few warranty suppliers who cover 'wear and tear' as standard just from a simple google search. In regards to click4warranty, I have gone through their policy terms and conditions and there is their are no exceptions to the wear and tear policy, only items that aren't covered. They even cover timing belt failure as long as the it hasn't gone past the car manufacturers service instructions on when it should be replaced.
Actually sounds really good and like something I'd consider... But I bet it would be like pulling teeth getting them to pay out! Ha

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

That's surprises me. Warranty companies are the first to run in the opposite direction when the words wear and tear are mentioned

So I purchased an extended 3 year warranty when I bought my car from Eden, to be honest it was thrown in as part of the package (don't be afraid to walk away) but would have cost £499. No doubt I paid for it in the inflated cost of the car so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I drive my car everyday for work, was doing around 55 miles a day, now doing 25. Mostly motorway.

I had the dreaded drivers heated seat problems covered here, which I didn't pick-up (or even know about..who would) when I bought the car: https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-HOW...ER-ASTRA-J

Warranty covered it, I saw the bill for this, it would have cost me £420.

I also just had both my rear springs fail after a trip on the motorway, luckily it waited until I had pulled up at home and I heard this loud "PING". Took it to the garage, one was obviously failed, then they did a safety check and found the other had failed as well. The car has only done 50,000 miles (2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex). The warranty covered these springs with no problem, which I am glad because springs should not fail after that many miles.

The bill for this would have been just shy of £150 at a guess including labour (didn't see this one)

So for me the extended warranty has already paid for itself, It runs out the end of next year so plenty of cover left for anything else that decides to go wrong.

I know lots of people have problems with Eden, for me its been absolutely fine so far and I wouldn't think twice about getting a warranty from them again. Lets hope I continue to say this by the time it ends.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warranty diagnostic fee? everson38 4 2,827 7:th-Jun-2019, 10:49:39
Last Post: everson38