Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
dpf

DPF
Anyone know what this means? It came on tonight

First Ive seen of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't find anything in the manual mate but I'm guessing it's just the DPF doing a self clean or regeneration

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Something to do with you having a dodgy car dude

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(15:th-Mar-2016, 22:14:26)sheppy1 Wrote: Something to do with you having a dodgy car dude

Or that Haha

Must be wanting a clean drive the car till it is done
Never seen that before maybe is saying it's active = cleaning and ready = it's cleaned now.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Mine kicked up a fuss once saying the dpf was full and once I gave it a good run it went away... Didn't see that message nemo has though during the process

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

I do mostly motorway miles & in over 112k miles I've never seen my dpf regen warning.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(17:th-Mar-2016, 07:15:18)J1ODYA Wrote: I do mostly motorway miles & in over 112k miles I've never seen my dpf regen warning.

I've done just over 20000 in almost 4yrs mostly town work and never had a DPF warning.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I've done 19k in a year and had no warning but that's been a mixture of town and motorway

Trust me to get this :(
In case DPF cleaning cycle is interupted several times that you would probably get a message.
There is no light during DPF cleaning cycle you can only notice increased mpg.
If you will switch off the engine during cycle you will notice that cooler fan will run for a while after stop.
Oh, so that's why my fan kept going, well the message disappeared now so what do I have to do?
Nothing.... The car has done it's thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi mate,
Mine has done this a couple of times,
It comes on saying DPF Active, I then try to drive with a good RPM and try limit any stop starting, after about 10 minutes it will say DPF Ready.
I had to read and sign a form when I bought the car about the DPF and its regeneration procedure.
Best time for it to come on is just as your arriving at your destination!
I've never seen this either. I wonder if this is a new thing that was included in the recent dpf software update. It would be good to know if so as I avoided getting the update.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
i would think its new software also how old is your car year
Mines a 12 plate, it came back on yesterday and just said DPF ready and it never changed, it didn't show the DPF active one at all this time
very strange
Have you gone to vauxhall recently ? What engine is yours ?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
I sent VX an email and they said since my car was built they have made no updates to the DPF software

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I could do with some DPF advice.

Earlier today when I arrived at the gym after 5 minutes of dual carriageway driving at 50mph, I noticed a burning smell and there was smoke coming from the lower engine/OSF wheel. I popped the bonnet and couldn't see any smoke coming directly from the engine but I did notice the fan spinning like a nutter. After some research I'm thinking this is the DPF going through the clean cycle but seeing the smoke coming from the engine area along with the smell gave me quite a scare.

Do you guys think this is the DPF going though the clean cycle or should I be more concerned?

Any help/comments greatly appreciated

P.S. I have got the car booked in with the dealer on Monday but I'm wondering if it's actually necessary.

When the DPF is doing a regen it get's very hot and there is a burning smell (more of a rubber burning smell).

Yes the fan will be on full bore and can continue to run for quite some time even after you've turned the car off.

You really need to make sure the DPF regen has finished before turning off the car as failed regens will only cause you DPF problems down the line.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks, Rusty.

So would smoke accompany the smell?

It's a tricky thing because you don't know the DPF is doing a regen - I certainly didn't until I'd stopped and turned off the engine.

I believe you can tell if you check instant fuel combustion when car is at idle, apparently the amount of fuel used goes up from 0.1 to 0.3 mpg during regen.
Right, so always best to check instant MPG and if it's running at .3, run around the block for 15 minutes. Not ideal really

(7:th-May-2016, 09:41:57)stigeye Wrote: I believe you can tell if you check instant fuel combustion when car is at idle, apparently the amount of fuel used goes up from 0.1 to 0.3 mpg during regen.

Mine at tick over is 0.1-0.2, when doing a regen 0.3-0.4 but I also have stop/start so if the engine doesn't go into auto that also makes me check the MPG.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
yep anything over 0.3 0.4 the car needs or will be doing a regain soon
0.2 on idle is normal
Thanks, guys - I'll keep an eye on MPG then.

Any thoughts about the smoke which accompanied the smell? Just to reiterate, the smoke seemed to come from the lower engine, OSF wheel and not from the exhaust.

how old is your car is it a newbe
(7:th-May-2016, 23:14:46)tucpal Wrote: how old is your car is it a newbe

It's on a 62 plate with 55,000ish on the clock
ok no problem
the engine bay will smell when doing a regen so thats normal
smoke may need checking out just be on the safe side
new cars can give off smoke from the engine bay but you're well over that
I would get the smoked looked into as mine is a 62 plate and I don't get smoke in the engine bay.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Take its on the motorway keep its at about 2000 / 2500 rpm for a good 15/20 mins

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
go to euro parts pick this up

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxha...&0&cc5_862

add to a full tank of fuel and as said above go for a long drive for about 20mins
then keep the revs over 2000 rpm and stay in 4th for another 30mins motorway driving
then drive back altering the revs from 2000 to 3000 rpm
and all should be good use this stuff about 3 times a year to keep the dpf clean
night time is better when the motorway is clear
I would only recommend the following.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131786678955

When the tank down to 1/4 then chuck the whole can in and fill up (it has to go in 1st so when the fuel goes in it will mix).

When I use it I only ever half fill the tank so it pulls through neater (it won't do any harm in my old cars I use to put it neat in the fuel filter).

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I went on a run early yesterday morning for 25-30 minutes and kept the revs between 2000 & 3000RPM.

I've been meaning to pick up some of that cleaner but i think I'll get the car checked out first.

I'm taking her in tomorrow to be checked out and I'll let you know what they say.

Or you can go to Halfords and they will clean the DPF for you...

DPF Maintenance Clean £35... http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-c...ance-clean

Our DPF Maintenance Clean is a professional workshop treatment designed to be used every 6 months to prevent the build-up of soot in the DPF. Book in today and have the peace of mind knowing your DPF is being kept clean, potentially saving you hundreds of pounds.

DPF Deep Clean £85... http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-c...deep-clean

One-off treatment for blocked DPFs

DPF Deep Clean is a professional workshop treatment designed to clean Diesel Particulate Filters that have become blocked due to a build-up of soot. It is a much cheaper solution than replacing the DPF. This treatment will include a direct flush into the DPF followed by a diagnostic regeneration of the DPF to reset the engine management system and finally a test drive of at least 20 minutes.

In some cases the cause of the blockage can be the incorrect oil grade being used In the vehicle. If it is unclear what grade of oil has previously been use we will recommend an oil and filter change at the same time and this will be quoted for as necessary. If, on one of those very rare occasions, it fails to clear the filter we will need to remove it completely from the car and soak it overnight and then flush it through. This work will need to be quoted for individually as all vehicles will vary in the length of time this will take.

BTW... I know you don't need a DPF deep clean, I only posted that part for info purpose ;-)
i have used the cleaner rusty linked also very good product
(8:th-May-2016, 11:00:55)stigeye Wrote: Or you can go to Halfords and they will clean the DPF for you...

DPF Maintenance Clean £35... http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-c...ance-clean

Our DPF Maintenance Clean is a professional workshop treatment designed to be used every 6 months to prevent the build-up of soot in the DPF. Book in today and have the peace of mind knowing your DPF is being kept clean, potentially saving you hundreds of pounds.

DPF Deep Clean £85... http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/car-c...deep-clean

One-off treatment for blocked DPFs

DPF Deep Clean is a professional workshop treatment designed to clean Diesel Particulate Filters that have become blocked due to a build-up of soot. It is a much cheaper solution than replacing the DPF. This treatment will include a direct flush into the DPF followed by a diagnostic regeneration of the DPF to reset the engine management system and finally a test drive of at least 20 minutes.

In some cases the cause of the blockage can be the incorrect oil grade being used In the vehicle. If it is unclear what grade of oil has previously been use we will recommend an oil and filter change at the same time and this will be quoted for as necessary. If, on one of those very rare occasions, it fails to clear the filter we will need to remove it completely from the car and soak it overnight and then flush it through. This work will need to be quoted for individually as all vehicles will vary in the length of time this will take.

BTW... I know you don't need a DPF deep clean, I only posted that part for info purpose ;-)

I wouldn't let Halfords anywhere near my pride and joy also it is not advisable to do a static regen.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
If passive regens were always successful nobody would ever have an issue with their dpf.
(8:th-May-2016, 15:56:18)stigeye Wrote: If passive regens were always successful nobody would ever have an issue with their dpf.

I don't & never have had any issues with my DPF and I do mostly town work.

I know a few others who also have never had a problem with DPF again only doing mostly town work.

I think the biggest problem is most people don't really know how to drive a drev and they go from a petrol to a drev and think they can just poodle around.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I do 10miles to work and then same back in stop start traffic, that's everyday of the week. When rod is clear I open her up a little and I've never had a problem in 14 month I've had her!

Ok, so the car was in this morning so I thought I'd give an update.

I had a seal replaced in the oil filter 2 weeks ago because it was leaking.

Apparently the undertray contains a sponge which soaked up some (but not all) of the oil (because I have some nice stains on my driveway now) and the burning smell and smoke from the engine bay was the excess oil held in the sponge burning away. I guess the reason why this happened 2 weeks after the seal was replaced is because I washed my car over the weekend and the sponge must have filled with water and this, along with the oil already held in the sponge, is what was burning away. A bit convoluted but I guess it makes sense.

Anyway, the undertray (and sponge) and engine bay has all been steam cleaned this morning so I shouldn't have any more problems but I'll keep and eye on it.

Haha so it was just sloppy work glad you sorted it out but all the same make the dpf cleaner part of your own 3 monthly schedule
(9:th-May-2016, 11:51:19)tucpal Wrote: Haha so it was just sloppy work glad you sorted it out but all the same make the dpf cleaner part of your own 3 monthly schedule

Yeah, I'm pleased that's all it was. I'm going to buy a can of that stuff from eBay and give it a go. Thanks for all the help, guys!
Had my 2.0 Cdti 13 months now and have never had the dpf light on.

(9:th-May-2016, 11:51:19)tucpal Wrote: Haha so it was just sloppy work glad you sorted it out but all the same make the dpf cleaner part of your own 3 monthly schedule

Once every 6 months is more than good enough.

Glad you've got to the bottom of the smoke tho.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(9:th-May-2016, 15:19:51)Rusty2009 Wrote:

Once every 6 months is more than good enough.

Glad you've got to the bottom of the smoke tho.

The smoke did make me nervous.

I'd considered excess oil from the leak being the issue but thought it would have burned off within the first day or so after repair NOT 2 weeks later and NOT because of a sponge!