Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
wiper removal rear

Rear wiper removal
Hi guys!

I know not everyone likes this mod but has anyone removed their rear wiper and is it easy to do?

Thanks
someone did it recently in their progress thread can not remember who it was

Its easy enough to do mate. Remove the wiper arm from the exterior using a 13mm socket or spanner and then wiggle it free from te motor spindle. On the interior there is a T20 torque screw holding the rear trim panel onto the boot lid so you will want to remove this first. Once the screws out the panel can be pulled off, just be careful not to pull to hard otherwise you risk cracking the plastic. Once thats off and out the way all you need to do is remove the connector from the motor and tape it up securely. Then remove three bolts that hold the motor in place (cant remember what size) and then you can pull it out from the lid and window. Then just pop in a grommet to cover the hole, again I cant remember the size of it but there pennies to buy and you usually get a few in a pack.
Where do you buy these grommet?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
You can now get glass grommets which are completely flush and look perfect..

https://www.gecleant.de/shop/glasstopfen...l?page=all

Just need to find them UK based, just measure what size you need & google it!
That looks alot better than an unsightly rubber bung

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(29:th-Feb-2016, 09:21:15)bhalay207 Wrote: That looks alot better than an unsightly rubber bung

i'm gonna get rid of the rubber grommet for this purpose. Plus sometimes ill come back to the car and someones pushed it in.
(29:th-Feb-2016, 19:44:21)Shorty S91 Wrote:
(29:th-Feb-2016, 09:21:15)bhalay207 Wrote: That looks alot better than an unsightly rubber bung

i'm gonna get rid of the rubber grommet for this purpose. Plus sometimes ill come back to the car and someones pushed it in.
lol who would do that?

How much are these & what size we need?

Using Tapatalk
Thats the grommet i bought for my old car and its the one thats in my gtc not sure on the size though
I know "kill all wipers" are making one for astras at the moment but not gonna wait! May just use a rubber one for now? Isnt it a 32mm?
Just went out and took some measurements there and its coming in at 26mm. I checked the size of the grommet I fitted and its 25mm. the 25mm fits but i can pull it out with little resistance. Gonna see if i can find a 26mm glass grommet cheap and try it. worst case scenario if it is a tight fit ill sand round the edges to get it snug.

Ive just ordered one so ill let you know how it goes. Some places are charging upwards of 20 quid for these just for the glass. the one ive bought has the adhesive and its still relatively cheap at £10
Okay yeah let me know! I have 100's of 25mm at work shame really
(1:st-Mar-2016, 19:07:00)Dannydyer Wrote: Okay yeah let me know! I have 100's of 25mm at work shame really

as I said im using a 25mm grommet just now and it keeps the rain out. I would just prefer it to be a bit tighter 
Might use a 25mm for now as a temporary fix
(1:st-Mar-2016, 19:23:57)Shorty S91 Wrote:
(1:st-Mar-2016, 19:07:00)Dannydyer Wrote: Okay yeah let me know! I have 100's of 25mm at work shame really

as I said im using a 25mm grommet just now and it keeps the rain out. I would just prefer it to be a bit tighter 

Did you use anything to seal it?
Nah just popped it in there haha!

The glass grommet arrived today so it has been fitted

This is a 25mm grommet. I went out and measured again a few times. Just thought that 26mm would have been to tight and would have needed sanding around the edges.

This came with a little bag of black sealant. I just covered the entire grommet in sealant and popped it in and held it in place for a few minutes. Afterwards I got some silicone spray and covered the outside with it and rubbed my fingers around the outside of the grommet so there is a nice smooth seal, just wipe away any excess sealant and apply silicone spray to help create a good smooth seal.

This is the link for the grommet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291617168791?_...EBIDX%3AIT
Looks good... I too spoke to kill my wiper and they are only a week or 2 away from having a flush kit so shall wait.

Using Tapatalk
this one sits flush, this was it just after I fitted. I went back out after 5 minutes and ran a card over the area so that it pushes in slightly so that its all smooth
Looks good !
It does look good

Using Tapatalk
I like the look of it! But what happens when the rear screen gets filthy? Just gonna have to keep wiping it before you get in?

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

unless your going all in smooothing over the whole car, handles badges, etc etc i think its a backwards mod, ive owned cars that didnt have rear wipers as they didnt come standard, its a right faff
I remember a saloon I used to have, the rear window had no wiper and it end a nightmare

Balls to it then... Not gonna do it myself

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Oh the rear wiper is crap on the gtc and at £30 a piece to replace I'd rather a dirty window!

And my car never gets that dirty anyway.

Using Tapatalk
(6:th-Mar-2016, 18:19:49)J1ODYA Wrote: Oh the rear wiper is crap on the gtc and at £30 a piece to replace I'd rather a dirty window!

And my car never gets that dirty anyway.

Not sure where you got £30 from mate

Genuine Vauxhall ones... you can get them for £6 off ebay but they are crap.

Using Tapatalk
I tend to use my mirrors more than i do look out of the rear window, cars cleaned at least once a week anyway and its constantly raining in scotland anyway, so its never bothered me .
I'm contemplating doing this too but living in Newcastle it mainly rains and rear screen gets dirty quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys I'm doing this now. Just done the 3 10mm bolts and how the hell do you separate the wiper from the motor lol?
It's stiff but it does just pull apart. If you try twisting the wiper to loosen it a little.

Wiggle it...

Using Tapatalk
Don't undo the bolts, remove the wiper blade before you undo the bolts. I put some grips on the metal body attached to the bolt on the outside and twisted/ wiggled it a little and it just popped off.
My bad lads, i forgot to take the plastic bit off to reveal the nut before attempting to loosen it lol!! All done now though and looks much better. cheers.
(6:th-Jul-2016, 10:25:56)Kris Wrote: My bad lads, i forgot to take the plastic bit off to reveal the nut before attempting to loosen it lol!! All done now though and looks much better. cheers.

I saw your post last night on Facebook saying you forgot to undo the wiper blade bolt, have to say I did chuckle... rather loudly  

May as well put up a picture of my effort on this thread...

(6:th-Jul-2016, 10:31:13)stigeye Wrote:
(6:th-Jul-2016, 10:25:56)Kris Wrote: My bad lads, i forgot to take the plastic bit off to reveal the nut before attempting to loosen it lol!! All done now though and looks much better. cheers.

I saw your post last night on Facebook saying you forgot to undo the wiper blade bolt, have to say I did chuckle... rather loudly  

May as well put up a picture of my effort on this thread...

Me too

lol doh

Using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear registration lights LegendOfEagle 2 2,654 7:th-Feb-2019, 17:42:57
Last Post: LegendOfEagle
  Rear lightning cable color question DaanV 6 10,476 26:th-Aug-2018, 15:51:11
Last Post: DaanV
  2.0 CDTI GTC rear springs connorholmes 4 3,469 18:th-Aug-2018, 10:35:58