Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a polishing car

Polishing a car
Is this car polish machine any good? Has decent reviews and seems ok. I've never polished a car before and I'm not looking to spend much (I know you get what you pay for). May look for same one else where as I know halfords cost more than other places.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbish mate. If ya want a half decent polisher on a budged, go for kestrel SIM 180 or silverline. Rotary gets best results, but a DA is safer. Alot of people first startin out with a rotary practice on scrap panels first as it can be easy to burn through, especially on swage lines
Don't do it waste of money
That halfords one is nothing more than a toy, you wont achieve any level of paint correction with it, and even applying a glaze they are useless, would get better results by hand
Ok thanks guys, links to good but cheap ones then please.

Kestral DAS6, Meguiars G220 are decent entry level DA polishers

Kestrel SIM 180, or a Silverline silverstorm are the most common entry level rotarys, IMO the Kestrel is the better of the 2, but both are very similar

Prices vary from different places, best just to have a search about, and theres always plenty pop up 2nd hand on www.detailingworld.co.uk, especially the DAs as people progress and upgrade to rotary

Alot of people start of with a DA, theyre alot safer as harder to burn through, however, if you want to achieve serious paint correction, then a rotary is the way to go. I never bothered with a DA, I went straight to rotary when I first started out. I actually bought a Kestrel SIM 180 myself as my first polisher, then I upgraded to a makita, wasnt cheap, but Ive had it about 8 years now, and its had very heavy use and its never flackered, very smooth, quiet polisher. Think I paid 190 for my makita, but that was on sale, shoulda been closer to 300. I run mine with a 3m backing plate, and im quite fond of the meguiars pads. I like the 3m polish range too
I've the megauiers DA my only complaint is the velcro on the pads loses its stickiness after a couple uses.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(29:th-Jan-2016, 15:11:48)Rusty2009 Wrote: I've the megauiers DA my only complaint is the velcro on the pads loses its stickiness after a couple uses.

Can you not get a 3m one to replace it? Ive had the same 3m backing plate for 10 years, and it sticks brilliantly
I was going to look into seeing if I can swap the plate over to the 3".

But that's a good idea I'll look into that :-)

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
The 3m arent the cheapest, but the last well, and have a nice feel, not too firm, not too soft
CG Hex Logic pads are decent aswell
Been looking today as I deffo want to go down the smaller pad route.

I've found these will fit my DA what are peoples thoughts (I do need to order some other bits off autobright)

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.p...plate.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-3-Pad...xyzHxRJI80
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I have used and still do use the exact same meguiars pads, but the full size ones. I like them, decent pad.

Remember when using smaller spot pads, they tend to generate more heat in a more concentated area, so be careful not to burn through. Shouldnt be as bad on a da though
They do have another set which would give 5" and 3"
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.p...e-kit.html

The meg has 7" which I think is too big for all the curves on the J, and doing some read most people are saying 5" is the best and they can't understand why megs keep pushing the 7" pads.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S