This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
wrong t cut

Wrong T Cut
Hey guys,

So I went and bought some t cut to work out some of the small scratches on the car and it seems to have worked well in some areas and highlighted some deeper scratches and chips in other areas (see photo)

I then realised that I'd used normal t cut when it says on the back you should use metallic t cut for metallic cars...doh! So will this do the car any damage?

Thanks
[Image: vCa3MP6.jpg]

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

no it wont do any damage applied by hand is fine
the only time t cut can be a problem is when it is used with a buffer
and the area is over worked
but there are better products out there
[Image: DSC03659_zpssmtodvyc.jpg]
Phew!!! mind can rest now! ha...any idea what a better product would be then? And that chip that I posted a picture of won't rust will it?

Thanks

Never use T-Cut! It's like a swear word lol. If you were local to me I'd sort it for you with proper products!
Damn! Wish I'd have known this before buying it! Haha. Seems to have got some of the scratches off but emphasised some of the chips :(

you will get a much better result with a clay bar and detail spray
then a good quality polish and wax or sealer

try the HG range at halfords it is good stuff generally and easy to get hold of
but again there are better products out there
everyone will have there favored products etc etc
T CUT can remove the top coat if over worked or used too often
but some paint work that has been badly neglected can benefit for a once over with it
but rubbing compound and a good buff along with a professional will get much better results

you just need a good clay bar and something like a H7 Detaler and then something like HG super resin polish and top it off with a wax like HD HIGH DEFF WAX and that should last you about 4 to 6 months or so
there good starting products but the worlds your oyster when it comes to what is best
Wow! Thanks for the comprehensive information there mate! Won't lie I've never actually cared about cleaning cars, generally take them to the local car Valet guy and he does a good job. The other week I cleaned the car for the first time myself...the first time I've ever cleaned a car properly! Ha. I used loads of different stuff that came in the diamond bright kit I got with the car and it sparkled for about 2 weeks and has only just started to go a bit dull! I was made up Smile.

So those little chips not a problem then? Some have gone a bit white too which has worried me...

old marks and chips and scratches will always be present after a good polish etc
you have just removed the dirt that was in them so they will seem to stand out  
Ahhh right okay, won't rust will they?

if they never did before then they will not now
there are paint pens etc that can fill the chips in etc
but sometimes they can make a mark stand out more
Yeah I've used the pens in the past but they're rubbish and make it look worse. Not bothered about them, just don't want them rusting

Could very carefully put some clear coat over to stop it rusting I did it on my old veccy.
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Clear coat as in nail varnish? lol

That's all I've been doing this past week. Watching detailing videos on YouTube and reading reviews on different types of wax.

I now know the difference between a polish, wax and a sealant. Ha. Oh and I know a bit about clay bars too

Was going to buy autoglym wax but it's £40!! I've heard Dodo Juice is good. Can you get a decent wax for about £10? And are Bilt Hamber clay bars good? Apparently you just need water for lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow! I feel like i'm missing out on a whole world of information and products here!!! I literally just cleaned mine with some 2 in 1 car cleaner in some soapy water and it took half an hour...made me feel like a car cleaning master haha. 2nd time I've cleaned this thing in a year and half now Wink

Ha! Yeah like me with my 206 I use to just take it to the car wash or if I did it myself I'd just use water! With it being silver water marks never showed up. Did the same with the Astra (black) a week after having it.... Water marks all over.

So now I'm going to do it properly. Bought this so far

[Image: 3985e978b064a311ae930c84ce8944b6.jpg]

But still need wax and really want to give claying a go. Picks up all the shite that's embedded in the lacquer. Wash, clay, polish then wax and there was me with my bucket of water. Ha!

Take the sponges back 100%. Swap them for a lambswool wash mitt.
(24:th-Apr-2015, 22:30:03)Jj0063 Wrote: Take the sponges back 100%. Swap them for a lambswool wash mitt.

+1 there. 

Have a look at a Clay mitt mate they seem to be the new trend (I've not used mine yet).

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/...-clay-mitt

Don't forget the 2 bucket method with the grit guards too.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Right was gonna pop to halfords this morning to take advantage of the 3 for 2 again because I want some wax.

Just look at the clay mitt rusty looks good, watched some YouTube videos on it. So you just use water and shampoo as a lubricant? Do you wash the car 1st as normal and then go over it with the clay mitt?

Was thinking of getting this wax http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001 it's cheap and the reviews are good. For my 1st attempt at waxing it should do.

So 3 for 2

1. Clay mitt
2. Turtle wax
3. Lambswool wash mitt (if you can't use the clay mitt to wash the car)

bite the bullet and get the auto glym HIGH DEFF WAX it may be £40 but it will do the car about 5 times
and it lasts very well between washes    
as i do my car 3 times a year as a rule then it works out not that bad at all

also i use the clay mitt and it works very well if you use G3 turbo detaler as a lubricant it works even better

[Image: ubagkg_zpsrg9k1kgx.jpg]
Right went a bit mental. Took all you advice on board

[Image: b160ef5b2c296a8de762baf99a2cab01.jpg]

Not read the reviews on the wax so bit of a punt. Was £26 so I'm hoping it's good

At what stage would I use the trim gel? After I've waxed it?

I tend to use Meguiars find it really good but I also use Sonax can't rate there stuff enough.

Tyre gel I do last and make sure no to overload it on the tyre as can/will fly off as you drive if you apply too much.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Don't forget take the wheels off give them a good clean and then wax them up too, and all door bonnet shuts etc.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
The gel is for the plastic trim. Didn't get the tyre stuff as the tyres are brand new. Going to use it round the wing mirrors as they are a bit dull as is the plastic trim on the roof

Haven't got a jack to get the wheels off but again they are new so won't be to bad inside.

So can I use the wax on the alloys too?

(25:th-Apr-2015, 11:28:09)dutton84 Wrote: The gel is for the plastic trim. Didn't get the tyre stuff as the tyres are brand new. Going to use it round the wing mirrors as they are a bit dull as is the plastic trim on the roof

Haven't got a jack to get the wheels off but again they are new so won't be to bad inside.

So can I use the wax on the alloys too?

Read it as tyre gel Banghead upto when you do it really if you do it before polishing waxing just mask it off.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yes mate I do & IIRC @tucpal does too.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
you have some good products there i would use the trim gel last
also keep the wax off any black trim bits as it can leave white residue on them

now you have a lot off hard work to do but the results will be pleasing

i agree with rusty the sonax range is amazing stuff
Just over 2 hours in. I've washed twice, clayed and just finished glass inside and out...... I'm fucked.

That clay mitt is unreal! So smooth. Have to use quite a bit of the detail spray though drys up quick. Can also see loads of chips in the paint that you couldn't see before.

[Image: 391b35667867d159bf5093dfe60c673e.jpg][Image: a5042cad6e36442385c24eb6c528c553.jpg]

That's it after it's been clayed.

good work so far now you have a nice clean base for the polish and wax

hard work mate but worth the effort
All done, well apart from the trim gel, that's on hold as it's just started raining

[Image: 7bb06c6132feb5aeb0b75c4fbda162f3.jpg]

[Image: b16aab3c9c3ba18c698f5fcb0d9182fa.jpg]

[Image: 7fe8d04b0832797d7400aa2fd1b71aaf.jpg]

[Image: 5020604de021806d6616765e73d44a02.jpg]

Looks spot on mate well done Doublethumbs  sods law it had to go and rain tho.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
well done top job and now it is raining you can enjoy the beading effect
at least the car is now protected and shiny shiny
Ha. Yeah that's a plus. Annoyed I didn't get to put the trim gel on. Look how faded it is and check those beads out. Ha. [Image: c8b96d1683e547797f8778b0a18f496b.jpg]

nice

black trim is always in need of some TLC
How many layers of wax do you normally put on. I've just done the one. Would of liked to of done at least another one. The one I put on wasn't the thickest. Never waxed before but to me it seemed like a thin layer.

i would just stick with the one but two wont hurt
Did you do the finger test to make sure it was ready to buff off?

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I went round the whole car then waited 5mins and buffed off where I started.

What's the finger test?

With a clean finger you swipe the wax if comes away clean it's ready to buff off if it seams you need to wait longer.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Looking good... I need to stock up on some new detailing products and try and get the car nice for summer.

Got a load of scratches I need to try and polish out :(

I've always used Poorboys SSR2 to get my swirls/scratches out and then autoglym super resin.

Was using the poorboys EX sealant but wasn't that impressed with it so want to try something new this time round.... silver is such a crap colour to get looking shiny though :(