Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
removal resonator

resonator removal
on the petrol i have a resonator on the air intake pipe before the air box
i have blanked the whole off in the pipe with tape for now to block the resonator off
and the car feels and pulls much better with out this so very happy there

but when i took the bumper off dickos 20.cdti i noticed the car did not have a resonator
on the air intake pipe before the air filter and it had a bend with out the resonator on the pipe

so the question is the air intake on the cdti 2.0 is the same as the petrol bar the resonator bit
it is in three sections the pipe from the air box then a bend then a pipe to the front grill
i need the part number for the bend
so i can put it on my car to remove the bend in the pipe with the resonator on it that the petrol's have

SO PART NUMBER AND LINK TO AUTO VAUX would be grateful

the resonator looks like this on the petrol

but the 2.0 cdti has the same bend but no resonator box on it
Ok mate I will have a look tomorrow,
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
thanks mate
Is it part 10?

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
yes mate part number 10
Ok mate are you ok to wait till morning?

do you want to check it against you reg to see if it's different?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
no problem it will be different as long as it is from a cdti
Ok mate will get the part number in the morning

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
as promised mate

13337772 DUCT, AIR INTAKE, REAR

Autovaux http://www.autovaux.co.uk/product/13337772-airduct.aspx

That's number 10 from the above images and I used my VIN to get it for you.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
cheers mate i will order that next week and do a how to
the car feels and pulls and sounds much better the revs now pick up much faster
it must have been strangling the air intake as well as making it sound quieter
Cool mate that will make the 1.4 owns happy
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
sure there fitted to all the petrols
does seem pointless fitting a k@n pannle filter
and having the intake pipe still with the resonator on it :cool

may be it is just the sound but the car does seem better
strange system Vauxhall have. Glad you've seen an improvement though mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Whats the purpose of the resonator then? If its just to quieten things down then its coming out of mine too if it improves throttle response
Rusty2009 Wrote:Cool mate that will make the 1.4 owns happy

Indeed it will. [MENTION=2]tucpal[/MENTION] can you get a picture of it in the bay so I know what I'm looking for to see if it's still on newer models.
if you undo the three screws on the wheel arch liner and the screw just under the bumper that attaches also to the wheel arch liner
and look behind the liner you will see it
it will look like a black plastic box if you look up you will see the air intake pipe it is attached to
i had to pull the bumper out at the side to get the box out
i will do a how to in a few weeks when i get the replacement bend that replaces the resonator box

basically it reduces the induction sound and removing it will help with the air flow get to the air box and improve the induction sound
better air flow means better throttle response also combined with a k@n panel filter
Before removing the resonator box have a rwad of this link as its just not for noise reduction
http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-in...tml#page=0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cheers baz i have read something about this
there does seem to be alot of debate on this subject out there
but if you fit an induction kit with a cone filter instead of the filter box then you would also lose the resonator function also
so does this mean if you have a resonator on the factory induction pipes then there is no point in fitting a cone filter
i must say i have noticed no ill effects

just wondered if it is that important then and if you were to fit a cone filter and do away with the air box and the intake pipes
with the resonator on it then would you have to fit a resonator back to the pipe going from the cone to the throttle body.

i have also noticed there are two main placements for the resonator before the air box on the intake pipe
and after the air box going to the throttle body wounder if were it is placed makes any difference on how it works
I did the same thing on my astra g 2.0
I used a vectra cdti pipe it made it louder put pulled a lot better is there any baffle plates in the air box you could take out to
no the air box on the j is not restricted no baffles or anything like that in there like the H
i have read alot of posts on this subject over the last few days
i agree there is no real power gain and the resonator may play some part in
smoothing out the air flow Helmholtz resonator waves
so maybe it is just the placebo effect of the car sounding a bit better
but it does feel better all the same and no ill effects can be noticed
i think as the resonator is fitted after the air box and on the intake pipe before the air box
it may just be for noise reduction if it was fitted from the air box to the throttle body then maybe it works like said in the e how posts
basically i have no idea but as said for some reason it feels better
Tucpal, did you get the pipe and fit it up? If I have this box on my 1.6T then Im sure the turbo could spool up quicker and you'd hear the whoosh noise from it when its spooled up - that would be awesome. And teamed with my custom exhaust it would make for a far more efficient setup and most of all - more power!
Vauxhall Astra J/Mk6 SRi VX-Line 1.6 Turbo 5-door
Mods to date:
VXR 18" alloy wheels wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza S001 225/40/R18 tyres - K&N Panel filter - Pipewerx Custom 3" stainless steel cat-back (with 2nd cat removal) exhaust system - Rear window tints - EBC Grooved front 300mm brake disks with yellowstuff road/race brake pads - Xenon/LED DRL full headlight conversion - Full leather - Custom ADE Tuning dyno remap 245.9bhp / 280lb-ft
i have just left it as it is and put some silver foil tape over the hole in the resonator
i still swear the car feels better for it and certainly sounds better for sure
it seems to work well with the k@n panel filter try it and see what you think
you will have to undo the side of the bumper to get it out
as it is a tight fit and just tape the hole up and refit it
Yeah might give it a go some time this week. To try it did you just take the box out and take it for a drive?
Vauxhall Astra J/Mk6 SRi VX-Line 1.6 Turbo 5-door
Mods to date:
VXR 18" alloy wheels wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza S001 225/40/R18 tyres - K&N Panel filter - Pipewerx Custom 3" stainless steel cat-back (with 2nd cat removal) exhaust system - Rear window tints - EBC Grooved front 300mm brake disks with yellowstuff road/race brake pads - Xenon/LED DRL full headlight conversion - Full leather - Custom ADE Tuning dyno remap 245.9bhp / 280lb-ft
take the box out and put some foil tape over the hole in the box and then fit the box back
Sorry to be that guy who revives an old thread, Did you ever buy that part without the resonator box Tucpal?
no i just blanked the hole off
Is there a how to do on this topic.

I now there are lots of different engines for the Astra J so I wanted to check were the resonator is on a 1.4 turbo petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(16:th-Oct-2014, 07:32:29)Rusty2009 Wrote: Is it part 10?

Where can I find this on the Vauxhall workshop. Do u have the link please

(6:th-Feb-2017, 10:53:25)mart Wrote:
(16:th-Oct-2014, 07:32:29)Rusty2009 Wrote: Is it part 10?

Where can I find this on the Vauxhall workshop. Do u have the link please

You can't find it on workshop this is from EPC.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Looked everywhere but can't find it now. I know it's on there somewhere but there is so much on there it's hard to find what ur looking for sometimes

What hole did you block up. Haven't got round to looking at the resonator yet, will try on the weekend.

Anyone got any pics

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remap DPF removal bannan 6 6,290 17:th-Oct-2014, 20:53:30
Last Post: Rusty2009