This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

[-]
Tags
progress sparkyscfc74’s thread

Sparkyscfc74’s progress thread
sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
Found another, correct size and you can specify the force required!!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi...autifyAB=0

Yeah, well those look exactly the same as the ones I have posted above.
But those are 600N but I just contacted the seller and he can deliver them with 150N force.
They are also a bit cheaper Smile so I'll order those and we'll see!
(17:th-Apr-2018, 10:06:50)rlievens Wrote:
sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
Found another, correct size and you can specify the force required!!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi...autifyAB=0

Yeah, well those look exactly the same as the ones I have posted above.
But those are 600N but I just contacted the seller and he can deliver them with 150N force.
They are also a bit cheaper Smile so I'll order those and we'll see!

Cool, let me know how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will order them but probably won't have the time yet to make the brackets. My sister is moving to her new house, where i worked all of my past weekends, then my parents will move to a new house where I will have to work too, and then we will move to the parents house where some rooms need some work aswell. Busy weeks coming up, but also a lot to look forward to! In my parents house I will have a lot more tools and a decent garage to work in.

But 21 euro looks better than 50-ish pounds Smile I like fabricating so i don't mind making the brackets. Probably can get away with using some scrap metal, some grinding and drilling and a leftover of black paint Smile Will sure keep you guys updated.
I’ve ordered some spring loaded boot poppers in the hope they’ll have enough force to lift the boot when I press the unlock button
[Image: 3e2a5fdf935bbc1599211e8f6a1acc89.jpg]

Decided to fit an alloy foot rest to match the pedals
[Image: 028dec4030b31d3724c16e38caf1a9d8.jpg]

Looking good let me know how you get on with the popper I have a module here I need to fit for the boot to open from my key.
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Hello,

what did you use to tape foot rest?

Thanks
(25:th-Apr-2018, 08:20:33)Dooks Wrote: Hello,

what did you use to tape foot rest?

Thanks

No nails adhesive

(25:th-Apr-2018, 07:09:10)Rusty2009 Wrote: Looking good let me know how you get on with the popper I have a module here I need to fit for the boot to open from my key.

Cheers mate, I’m just waiting for them to come from China. I’m not expecting it to work with just the poppers, I’ve sourced some up rated gas struts as well but I won’t order them until I’ve tried the poppers first. Also I could up rate the spring inside the poppers if I think they’re too weak.
I’ve seen that someone has achieved it but I don’t think they’d be willing to share the information as he makes kits for them.

I thought it would be a good idea to take my fog lights out to clean the lenses inside. To my dismay, the bulbs weren’t inserted properly and have melted the inside!!!
[Image: f06d7094b14aa7ad8a429e105ebd90a4.jpg]
[Image: d8d813d93e1a5630e0ad85208a6a9fc1.jpg]
So basically they’re ruined and I’ve just been checking out some new ones and at the moment the best price I can find is £120 for a pair. I don’t know whether to try and fit some aftermarket LED’s.
Anyone got any other ideas???

What fogs are they? I'll have a hunt for you.

The chap who made the module I have said he used 800N force struts (but says they are too much) say 600N would be best, factory ones are 400N
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(27:th-Apr-2018, 07:35:03)Rusty2009 Wrote: What fogs are they? I'll have a hunt for you.

The chap who made the module I have said he used 800N force struts (but says they are too much) say 600N would be best, factory ones are 400N

Cheers mate,
Fog light part numbers are 13281270 & 13281271.
As for the struts, mine are 450N don’t know if it’s because the GTC tailgate is a bit heavier? so I’m guessing 650N would be good for mine?
Really hope I can get it to work because I’d find it really useful

It could well be I've not even looked into getting struts yet so don't know what ratings are out there.

How's this for the 1st part number
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUXH...SwgsxabvBd

& the 2nd one

Same seller too so may be able to do a deal on them.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(27:th-Apr-2018, 14:33:11)Rusty2009 Wrote: It could well be I've not even looked into getting struts yet so don't know what ratings are out there.

How's this for the 1st part number

& the 2nd one

Same seller too so may be able to do a deal on them.

Wow cheers for that mate I didn’t see them when I was looking, I’ll try an offer

[quote="Rusty2009" pid='47764' dateline='1524835991']
It could well be I've not even looked into getting struts yet so don't know what ratings are out there.

I’ve been in contact with SGS engineering and they’ll do the correct size struts with whatever pressure you want in them. AliExpress also does them but with a longer delivery time

Cool I've SGS before for workshop tools.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I'm still hoping to do the boot popper thing on my merv, but that has a much bigger boot lid and it sits vertically when closed,

i was looking at some variable pressure struts, basically they are just 800 - 1000 newton pressure struts with a valve you can let some of the gas out if they are too strong,
but it's a one way thing, cant put gas back in if you let too much out.

i can see for my boot lid, i'd need a kicker type arrangement, a servo or a solenoid that pushes the boot lid open a foot or so when i pop it, then retracts so it can shut without needing too much pressure to push the boot lid down.

but going to that trouble, i may as well get some electric rams to replace the gas struts with.
Oooh electric rams...

The only issue I have with electric rams is the dog... A professional job has sensors etc. But my homer job would probably biforcate the poor chap.

Oddly though, was doing some work today and I noticed that the rear door is really well balanced. Takes very little effort to make it open or close. A gentle tap either direction and it slowly moves that way.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I used these struts, brackets and studs on our GTC. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-GAS-STRU...2749.l2649

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8335999

I also added a washer on the balls stud to add a little strength to the bracket and tightened it all from underneath with an M6 nut. Struts are 393mm and 180nm and are sold as single so 2 need to be ordered.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30:th-Apr-2018, 07:58:11)stigeye Wrote: I used these struts, brackets and studs on our GTC. 

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8335999

I also added a washer on the balls stud to add a little strength to the bracket and tightened it all from underneath with an M6 nut. Struts are 393mm and 180nm and are sold as single so 2 need to be ordered.

Cheers for that information, that obviously works out a lot cheaper than what I paid
Sizes and force are almost identical.
Just trying to work out how to get the tailgate to lift on it’s own

(23:rd-Apr-2018, 15:26:00)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Decided to fit an alloy foot rest to match the pedals

Did you stick the accelerator pedal cover on?? ive just fitted a set and it slides up/down? 
(2:nd-May-2018, 19:42:03)dogstroker Wrote:
(23:rd-Apr-2018, 15:26:00)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Decided to fit an alloy foot rest to match the pedals

Did you stick the accelerator pedal cover on?? ive just fitted a set and it slides up/down? 

Yes mate, the brake and clutch fit perfect but the accelerator is a tad too big so put some no nails on it

New fog lights and led bulbs fitted
[Image: f956a58e59d0d4f0eaa1744f4d10a85d.jpg]
Look a bit blue compared to my headlights.

Thumbs Up 
(2:nd-May-2018, 19:45:33)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
(2:nd-May-2018, 19:42:03)dogstroker Wrote:

Yes mate, the brake and clutch fit perfect but the accelerator is a tad too big so put some no nails on it

Cheers mate...ill be doing the same then.... Hyper
Boot poppers have arrived today, so after fitting them they do make a difference when I press the boot release but not enough to lift it. So I’ve ordered some 700N gas struts which are uprated from the 450N standard ones. I’ve just got to wait as they’re coming from AliExpress

There's a lad on the Astra J VXOC facebook group who's fitted the boot popper module, his name's Adrian Rs Rs 

(4:th-May-2018, 18:58:18)stigeye Wrote: There's a lad on the Astra J VXOC facebook group who's fitted the boot popper module, his name's Adrian Rs Rs 

Yeah cheers I’ve watched that a couple of weeks ago. I’m guessing the module makes the boot open but don’t know what he’s done to make it rise?

Cleaning day used some Auto Glym Rapid Aqua Wax, good stuff
[Image: 699d02f65b2223cac505027223cd89a2.jpg]
[Image: 8f7f499346bce5c7ef7f7d01f37add9f.jpg]
[Image: 89843966f795fd648d968d0dfa2831c8.jpg]
[Image: 32fa8243d012510fd2e3353888f92d9d.jpg]

(4:th-May-2018, 15:28:31)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Boot poppers have arrived today, so after fitting them they do make a difference when I press the boot release but not enough to lift it. So I’ve ordered some 700N gas struts which are uprated from the 450N standard ones. I’ve just got to wait as they’re coming from AliExpress

To aid the opening of the tailgate I’ve ordered some compression die springs to go with the uprated gas struts
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Load-Duty...2884594839
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32265182469.html

You're gonna need to back up the car against a wall in order to close the boot with all those heavy duty springs Big grin
(8:th-May-2018, 08:56:15)rlievens Wrote: You're gonna need to back up the car against a wall in order to close the boot with all those heavy duty springs Big grin

Hope not

(4:th-May-2018, 19:09:13)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
(4:th-May-2018, 18:58:18)stigeye Wrote: There's a lad on the Astra J VXOC facebook group who's fitted the boot popper module, his name's Adrian Rs Rs 

Yeah cheers I’ve watched that a couple of weeks ago. I’m guessing the module makes the boot open but don’t know what he’s done to make it rise?

He hasn't used poppers just the uprated struts as I mentioned early (or he's not told me about the poppers) I've just double checked out whatsapp chat.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(10:th-May-2018, 07:48:41)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(4:th-May-2018, 19:09:13)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:

He hasn't used poppers just the uprated struts as I mentioned early (or he's not told me about the poppers) I've just double checked out whatsapp chat.

Oh good, I’m just not sure about the weight of the GTC tailgate compared to the J it seems to have a lot of over hang around the rear light clusters so it might just be a case of trial and error. I don’t want it too powerful but on the other hand I don’t want it too slow

Changed my plastic bumper grille for a custom black aluminium one. Wasn’t too difficult but did take a couple of hours. I’ve formed it around some of the inside flanges and then glued with tiger seal
Before
[Image: 7a21ea9065d5728ab76f09bd45d8d851.jpg]
After
[Image: 1591064d5df06f6711f28cea87539511.jpg]

(12:th-May-2018, 17:13:44)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Changed my plastic bumper grille for a custom black aluminium one. Wasn’t too difficult but did take a couple of hours. I’ve formed it around some of the inside flanges and then glued with tiger seal
Before
[Image: 7a21ea9065d5728ab76f09bd45d8d851.jpg]
After
[Image: 1591064d5df06f6711f28cea87539511.jpg]

Look good give the car more of a aggressive look

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, not bad for a £20 piece of mesh eh?

(12:th-May-2018, 19:35:03)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Cheers mate, not bad for a £20 piece of mesh eh?

Cheap and affective just what i like

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Uprated boot struts arrived today, after fitting one side I tried it and it worked perfect!!! Decided to fit the other side and it’s far too severe!! Don’t know what effect having one uprated and one standard but it will have to do as I think the 2 will eventually damage the hinges
https://youtu.be/1pSjwLvPCtk

That's cool mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(18:th-May-2018, 07:00:36)Rusty2009 Wrote: That's cool mate.

Cheers buddy, I’ve had to put the other strut on this morning as it wouldn’t open again. Think it was just bedding in with being the first time used. Hope it calms down a bit with both on as it’s a bit severe

sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
Rusty2009 Wrote:That's cool mate.

Cheers buddy, I’ve had to put the other strut on this morning as it wouldn’t open again. Think it was just bedding in with being the first time used. Hope it calms down a bit with both on as it’s a bit severe

Haha, funny but possible!
Works great.
I’ve ordered an RDX roof spoiler from Amazon, but I’ve gone for a used one for £69 instead of £105 new. It says the box is damaged and there are slight imperfections on the bottom or back of the item but as it’s got to be painted, I can’t see it making much difference
While I’m waiting for it I decided to start some paint detailing so I bought a clay bar kit
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...reId=10001
I was a bit dubious as to how good it would be but I’ve got to say I’m pretty impressed!!!
It’s got a glass finish on it and although the picture of the door may not show it well, the picture of the clay bar and what it picked up does!!
[Image: 50588ffb2bc9fc6c465cfd819e564c99.jpg]
[Image: 1b534818dfeeb0672a7e5ac4322341bc.jpg]
You wouldn’t think I’d only just cleaned it the day before!!!

I've been meaning to pick up a clay bar and do a full detail since getting the Astra, including taking out some of the largest stone chips it has, sanding back and respraying prior.

Although you say "hard to believe" it's good to see that they do do what they say on the tin Smile

(26:th-May-2018, 11:13:08)umognog Wrote: I've been meaning to pick up a clay bar and do a full detail since getting the Astra, including taking out some of the largest stone chips it has, sanding back and respraying prior.

Although you say "hard to believe" it's good to see that they do do what they say on the tin Smile

Yeah I totally agree, but you can’t help but being a bit sceptical about some of these products because some just don’t do what they claim.

I thought I’d better start on my spoiler today, so I started to fill in the few imperfections they said were on it which were minimal to say the least! I used a flexible filler used for repairing bumpers so it shouldn’t crack.
I then wet flatted it before giving it 3 coats of high build primer and that’s it for today while it dries properly, I’ll give it another wet flat tomorrow before I start on the colour coat
[Image: 64843a3ce13c57690639d065f20a543b.jpg]
[Image: bcd7bab46056d78259495a0cf921dd9e.jpg]
[Image: 65b1fdfbb9cca03e0173d0dd32c1666b.jpg]

Spoiler is now painted and lacquered and is now drying. I’m going to fit it later so it won’t get damaged and to let the tiger seal to dry too
[Image: 7b784a8f924cad43113bf388ab9f302c.jpg]
[Image: 7117e4b80341e5786fd134af3e6ca3bb.jpg]
After a couple of days I’ll give it a flat and polish when I know the paint has hardened

Looking good mate reminds me I need to do the Mrs Sharkfin.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(3:rd-Jun-2018, 14:25:54)Rusty2009 Wrote: Looking good mate reminds me I need to do the Mrs Sharkfin.

Cheers mate I think I’ll have to get it properly sprayed, doesn’t look good in the sunshine but may polish up??
What car has your missus got?

[Image: 4bdc10edc40b2b0e9164f8d309d54d1d.jpg][Image: 6e03f8171c147e15f0cebd2c7cabb156.jpg]

It should come up ok.

She has a ford fiesta MK7.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(3:rd-Jun-2018, 18:36:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: It should come up ok.

She has a ford fiesta MK7.

A Ford eh? She went over to the dark side

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 39,155 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread Rusty2009 Rusty2009 416 175,769 27:th-Mar-2022, 09:32:35
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 91,134 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Progress thread - AstraRT AstraRT 5 4,463 10:th-Jan-2021, 08:35:22
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,223 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Alex's Progress Thread AlexFitton 95 41,451 27:th-Jun-2020, 08:53:48
  JohnL's VXR Progress thread JohnL 17 13,571 15:th-Feb-2020, 12:38:28
Last Post: olihil18
  Where's my thread? Telsun 2 3,517 1:st-Jan-2019, 09:49:57
Last Post: Telsun
  Progress Thread Conor97 Conor97 28 12,836 9:th-Sep-2018, 19:37:44