Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
new mods

New Mods
Hey All,

Okay so I've officially made my way through every mod that I want/can do on my car from this forum. This lead me to think what other mods would people like to do or have thought about which aren't on this site? These can be small ones or huge ones...just after ideas which I could (or others could) attempt and maybe make guides for

A few I was thinking of are:

- Some sort of reverse lights as when I reverse at night I can't see ANYTHING in my mirrors!
- Lights in the wing mirrors that illuminate the floor when the door is opened...some Fords have these
- Some way to get front heated glass..More than likely never going to be possible
- Front parking sensors (retrofit) not a clue how these would work and haven't seen any aftermarket ones online

Ta

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Front heated glass, my friends 06 focus has it, but you'd probably need a new windscreen designed unless Opel does them.
Front Peking sensors you can do easily enough, just buy a kit off eBay and add a switch to turn on and off. I now dislike mine and would love oem look ones, I'd keep them even with reverse camera (when I eventually get to that)

I've thought about a new bonnet, since mine has a roof slate dint it. I seen a bmw one that looked quite beefy and thought it'd look good on the Astra. Maybe new front splitter. Under car LEDs, I'd love to do these, but on a switch so only on when wanted/allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh so you have aftermarket front parking sensors?!? If so can you link me to them... I have no idea how you'd get a button on the factory centre console to activate them!

And how you gonna get a BMW bonnet to fit an Astra? Ha.

Not you're talking! Making me thing of need for speed! hehe

(16:th-Jan-2016, 23:32:34)sheppy1 Wrote: Hey All,

Okay so I've officially made my way through every mod that I want/can do on my car from this forum. This lead me to think what other mods would people like to do or have thought about which aren't on this site? These can be small ones or huge ones...just after ideas which I could (or others could) attempt and maybe make guides for

- Some sort of reverse lights as when I reverse at night I can't see ANYTHING in my mirrors!
- Lights in the wing mirrors that illuminate the floor when the door is opened...some Fords have these
- Some way to get front heated glass..More than likely never going to be possible
- Front parking sensors (retrofit) not a clue how these would work and haven't seen any aftermarket ones online

Ta

Ok 
I'm working on something for this it's slow going atm tho.
so puddle lights I've done, not fitted to mirror but bottom of door which give much more light.
Well this is Vauxhall not ford.
You can get the kits on ebay. Click or click
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(17:th-Jan-2016, 01:01:28)sheppy1 Wrote: Oh so you have aftermarket front parking sensors?!? If so can you link me to them... I have no idea how you'd get a button on the factory centre console to activate them!

And how you gonna get a BMW bonnet to fit an Astra? Ha.

Not you're talking! Making me thing of need for speed! hehe

No I don't have front sensors but I seen them when I got my rear ones, yeah just same as Rusty has linked.

I didn't mean a bmw bonnet to fit I seen a nice beefy one and it made me think the Astra would look nice with that sort of bonnet, but unsure how many of any aftermarket bonnets there is.

@rusty2009
Thanks for the info mate! I have seen your tutorial on the puddle lights but after the damage I've done in the past to the door cards I don't wanna remove them again haha.

Good to know you're working on the reverse lights though! And thanks for the links I wanna see if I can hook those up to work with the official VX button.

@tonto
I know what you mean now gotta be some company out there that will provide new and different style bonnets eh!

I've always wanted under car led lights lol I'm a bit too old now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
You're never too old to look like someone out of fast and furious mate! Hahaha

I assume the bmw bonnet you mean is the m3?? Tge bulge in the middle?

One touch I like on my BM is that the door handles light up on a night when you unlock the car, looks quite cool
(17:th-Jan-2016, 11:10:31)Bloopeta Wrote: I assume the bmw bonnet you mean is the m3?? Tge bulge in the middle?

One touch I like on my BM is that the door handles light up on a night when you unlock the car, looks quite cool

Haha yes it is mate, not sure how it would look but think it would be nice. I wouldn't want to go down the bonnet vents route.

Cant see why it couldnt be done, but an m3 bonnet would cost an arm n a leg, would have to be brave to start hacking it up, but a bit of time n if ya handy with a welder.....
(17:th-Jan-2016, 11:22:00)Bloopeta Wrote: Cant see why it couldnt be done, but an m3 bonnet would cost an arm n a leg, would have to be brave to start hacking it up, but a bit of time n if ya handy with a welder.....

That's me counted out haha

Pretty sure ud be able to find a fibre glass one you could bond on, just dont know how it would stand the test of time and vibrations wihout the filler cracking, as bonnets are quite flimsy
Yeah it'd have to be metal tbh. But not something that's on my list in the near future.

Would be interesting to see, not sure if it would suit a 5 door, but would a gtc with the wide stance, like an m3 has
Yeah I have a 5 door, I think if you had front splitter, side skirts etc it would suit but not on its own! Gtc would though!

(17:th-Jan-2016, 11:10:31)Bloopeta Wrote: I assume the bmw bonnet you mean is the m3?? Tge bulge in the middle?

Oooo, this idea i like

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
(17:th-Jan-2016, 13:11:30)bhalay207 Wrote:

Oooo, this idea i like

It looks great mate, google bmw illuminated door handles, id take a pic for ya but its light atm ha

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bmw+il...TORdYRM%3A
They look good. Just need o be brave enough to butcher the door handles lol

(17:th-Jan-2016, 17:30:09)bhalay207 Wrote: They look good. Just need o be brave enough to butcher the door handles lol

I wouldnt say the handles are that much different between the 2 cars tbh
(17:th-Jan-2016, 17:30:09)bhalay207 Wrote: They look good. Just need o be brave enough to butcher the door handles lol

Yeah id love them but it took me 2 years to find the elite handles I have so I'm not touching them! Haha

(17:th-Jan-2016, 17:36:51)sheppy1 Wrote:

Yeah id love them but it took me 2 years to find the elite handles I have so I'm not touching them! Haha

Have u still got ur old handles m8? Could practice on them?? Looks mint on a night like when in a dark carpark, my daughter says it looks like a spaceship haha
(17:th-Jan-2016, 17:42:42)Bloopeta Wrote:
(17:th-Jan-2016, 17:36:51)sheppy1 Wrote:

Have u still got ur old handles m8? Could practice on them?? Looks mint on a night like when in a dark carpark, my daughter says it looks like a spaceship haha
Nahhh sold them to @rusty2009 otherwise I would have done not sure how we would get the wiring from the car into the handles though...

Would you not just run ambient lighting to door handles, drill hole and wire it up, I'm guessing door card off job!

Yeah issue is that in the door card there is a plastic sheet thing stopping eager coming in from outside... So you'd have to breach that to get a wore through it.

Then how you'd safely run a wire to the handle itself I dunno as it has nothing to run through... The handle is hollow but the plastic things that connect it to the car are not... So the wire would be exposed a bit... Hard to explain

Ah right, thanks for that as I've not had door cards off or handle either. As with everything there'll be a way.

Id just tape the wire to the inside of the doorskin if it were me, with gaffer tape

Plastic sheet comes off easily, just warm the glue with a heat gun n it pulls away, then restick it when done
Ok so I guess you want me to play then.

I'm game to ave a look at it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(17:th-Jan-2016, 19:25:36)Rusty2009 Wrote: Ok so I guess you want me to play then.

That would be awesome mate!

(17:th-Jan-2016, 19:25:36)Rusty2009 Wrote: Ok so I guess you want me to play then.

Well seeing as you're offering haha
(17:th-Jan-2016, 19:28:54)bhalay207 Wrote:

Well seeing as you're offering haha

I'll be your third tester haha

Looks like ya could make a living just fitting illuminated handles haha
When I had my mk2 there was someone that had found a company that would do a heated screen. Not sure where they got to with the group buy.
(17:th-Jan-2016, 20:30:23)JohnL Wrote: When I had my mk2 there was someone that had found a company that would do a heated screen. Not sure where they got to with the group buy.

This would be amazing! This is probably the only USEFUL mod I'm missing from my car now!!! Winds me up having to have the blowers on full whack first thing in the morning and still haven't to wait about 10 mins for them to clear the screen!

Theres no such thing as a heated front screen for a J unfortunately, however they are fitted to the new corsa
(17:th-Jan-2016, 20:32:29)sheppy1 Wrote:
(17:th-Jan-2016, 20:30:23)JohnL Wrote: When I had my mk2 there was someone that had found a company that would do a heated screen. Not sure where they got to with the group buy.

This would be amazing! This is probably the only USEFUL mod I'm missing from my car now!!! Winds me up having to have the blowers on full whack first thing in the morning and still haven't to wait about 10 mins for them to clear the screen!

10 minutes wow mine done a under a minute.

It's even faster the wife's fiesta which has a heated screen.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(17:th-Jan-2016, 21:48:12)Rusty2009 Wrote:

That's odd! It's all the condensation on the inside... Wonder why mines so bad?

Put the air con on with all doors and windows shut. That will draw out the condensation.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ahhhh brill! So that's better than whacking the window facing blower on when it's fogged up in the morning?

(17:th-Jan-2016, 21:48:12)Rusty2009 Wrote:

Doesn't yours have a quick heat feature? I'm pretty sure my Elite did just can't remember if it got removed when they also dropped the air quality sensor
Ermmm I've got a button which I press which puts the blowers on the window full blast but I think they're cold and not warm...

Ta

I seen a aftermarket kit online for the front parking sensors. You can either get a switch or a box that wires into the canbus system to engage the front sensors below 5mph.

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/product/...-reversing
(20:th-Jan-2016, 10:28:39)AlexFitton Wrote:

Ta

I seen a aftermarket kit online for the front parking sensors. You can either get a switch or a box that wires into the canbus system to engage the front sensors below 5mph.

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/product/...-reversing

Ooooo that sounds spot on! however I wouldn't be paying 80 quid for them! I'd only be getting them for novelty lol.

I should also say i have seen the kia have lights in the Wing Mirrors aswell.

If it was me your probably bed taking the internals for them and modifying it for the astra?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best mods you've done to your J? marcus01 26 33,558 5:th-May-2019, 20:56:11
Last Post: Mickey88
  1.6t performance mods SteveMcS 2 4,983 3:rd-May-2017, 16:56:09
Last Post: Jon_es