Switch to desktop version  
Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. (/showthread.php?tid=220)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 4:th-Mar-2016

try rusty https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Forum-Rusty2009-Retrofits-and-Programming-Bournemouth

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Ceepee - 24:th-Apr-2016

Hi chaps,

Are Navi600 retrofits still available or even possible? I'd love to get some info on this.

Cheers.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 25:th-Apr-2016

(24:th-Apr-2016, 09:21:13)Ceepee Wrote: Hi chaps,

Are Navi600 retrofits still available or even possible? I'd love to get some info on this.

Cheers.

Yes Andy or myself can fit them only I can do the programming at this time tho, there are also no navi600 setup's on eBay etc.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - sheppy1 - 25:th-Apr-2016

You may be better off looking into the aftermarket android head unit that a lot of us have gone for... Unless there was a reason you needed the official vauxhall offering?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - callmemuj - 10:th-May-2016

(25:th-Apr-2016, 08:57:17)sheppy1 Wrote: You may be better off looking into the aftermarket android head unit that a lot of us have gone for... Unless there was a reason you needed the official vauxhall offering?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hello pal, have you got any pics of how that looks? I too am looking for a navi600 for retrofitting but open minded to the aftermarket android head you mention.

Thanks

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Amir Khezri - 13:th-May-2016

(22:nd-Mar-2014, 20:44:10)tucpal Wrote:

CD400 TO NAV500 UPGRADE

So you may have heard ANDY from VXMODS has fitted the NAV,500 To my astra j today
i had the CD,400 as standard and Andy has done alot of research to make this work
so as his slogan says he is doing the things that Vauxhall and many others have said can not be done
everything works on the NAV 500 SAT,NAV and USB he also reactivated the Bluetooth and DAB
that i had already retro fitted so you will not lose the Bluetooth if you have already had it retro fitted it will still work
here is a before picture with the CD,400

here are a few random pictures of the NAV,CD,500 that has just replaced the old CD400 unit

DAY AND NIGHT MODE DISPLAY
this can also be set to automatic.

DISPLAY OPTION PICTURES.

I am over the moon with this retro fit
and its another astra j VX.O.C first
i now have the nav,500, USB, DAB AND Bluetooth and all are as factory fit.  
i knew if anyone could do this it would be Andy from VXMODS
so if you have any questions or want more info on how this was done
VXMODS have there own section on here in the trader section
sure he will be working out prices for this retro fit very soon.

SO THE QUESTION CAN THE CD400 BE UPGRADED TO THE NAV500 on the Astra j THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS YES IT CAN.

So despite what you may have heard on other forums this is now possible
he also says the NAV,600 should work as well
Also if he can get the NAV,600 to work then there are retro fit software updates
to turn the NAV,600 into the nav800 and nav900 upgrade
so that will be very interesting.

i can also say if you use a second hand NAV unit
the NAV disc will already be installed on the NAV and all the info will be there when you swap it over
i did get the disc as well with this so i have if for back up.

also if you want the Bluetooth and DAB to work they will have to be retro fitted separate
and the USB will come as part of the NAV unit.

If you are looking for a NAV unit from ebay etc
you will need the NAV unit, the NAV screen, the correct front display, and the tray for the USB. and the shark fin for the GPS

ANDY CAN NOW DO THE NAV600 AS WELL
So NAV500 and NAV600 can be done Astra J and GTC.

I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE LOOKING TO DO THIS TO CONTACT ANDY FROM VXMODS FIRST
BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING....look in the trader section

Hi Tucpal, 

I saw that you replaced the CD400 unit whit a CD500 unit. I had a question regarding the wiring and thought you might know it. I'm trying to upgrade my CD500 unit whit a Android device what is nornmally compatible whit a CD400 unit. In your pictures I saw that you replace the console of CD400 whit a CD500 console. My problem is that my Android radio wont power up the middle console so I believe that it must be wiring to that console what doesn't power up see pic. 

So I thought you might know the diffrence in the wiring of the console of a CD400 unit comparing whit a CD500 unit. It should be working if the correct wires are connected I believe.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 13:th-May-2016

ok so was the aftermarket unit your purchase for a sd 500
as yes there are differences in the wiring for the front display console and other wiring will need changing also
so i would think yes the wiring may need to be turned back to the cd400 set up
now a trip to rusty may be more helpful to you as pins etc are required
but really you should have got an aftermarket unit specifically to replace the nav500 not the cd400
rusty is your best bet here for help

Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 13:th-May-2016

An aftermarket radio will not power the factory radio controls as they are wake up via wake up wire.

All inputs are then sent via one wire to the radio BCM etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Amir Khezri - 15:th-Jul-2016

(13:th-May-2016, 15:01:38)Rusty2009 Wrote: An aftermarket radio will not power the factory radio controls as they are wake up via wake up wire.

All inputs are then sent via one wire to the radio BCM etc.

Hi Rusty, 

I have been doing some research and found out that the aftermarket radio unit will work whit a CD400 console so I wanted to try to change my wiring diagram from a CD500 model to a CD400 model. Only thing that I need to change is the last pin connector that goes in the console unit because there is a difference between a CD400 console and a CD500 console. So can you maybe give me a wiring diagram for a CD400 radio unit so that I can compare that whit my unit. The reason that I want to do that is because I bought a second hand CD400 console unit. So I could get some info about the wiring of the last part then I can make it work I believe because the aftermarket radio CANBUS firmware is compatible whit that CD400 console unit, now only need to know which connectors I need. I know that a CD400 console has 3 pins that needed to get connectec comparing whit my CD500 console that needs 7 wires. So I believe I need to modify that connector to a CD400 unit and it should work. I hope you can help me out whit this struggling months already and dealers are not very helpfull whit the aftermarkert radio units so getting info from then is not easy unfortunately.

Kind Regards
Amir Khezri

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 16:th-Jul-2016

I'm guessing by you pictures you using a china unit that looks factory fitted?

They way a navi unit is wired compared to a 400 is alot of wiring changes it's not just 1 one wire.

I'll dig the pin out out for you later.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Amir Khezri - 18:th-Jul-2016

(16:th-Jul-2016, 08:43:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: I'm guessing by you pictures you using a china unit that looks factory fitted?

They way a navi unit is wired compared to a 400 is alot of wiring changes it's not just 1 one wire.

I'll dig the pin out out for you later.

Yes using a China unit. And I dont think I need to change all of the wiring because the rest of the sensors like airco and door and steeringwheel are working fine already. The only point is that damn console of CD500 that is not compatible whit it. After alot of research I found out that there is also no model Android unit is available for a CD500 unit. Not alot of people are going to change the CD500 unit i'm one of them hehe :-). So if you could make that picture for me that would be very nice then I could maybe chagneg some wirings only for the console unit. Thank you so far Rusty...

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 23:rd-Jul-2016

Here's the cd400/navi control pinout. the CD400 is (UAG).

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Amir Khezri - 23:rd-Jul-2016

(23:rd-Jul-2016, 07:14:30)Rusty2009 Wrote: Here's the cd400/navi control pinout. the CD400 is (UAG).

Thank you Rusty now I have to see were the pin connector 2 goes to the ISO connector. I believe that on a CD500 model the ISO pin number is also different. Now I know that nr 2 needs to go to my CANBUS and need to find out were it goes on my ISO. You might have that info for me also and really thank you so far almost getting there :-).

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Fulopus - 24:th-Jul-2016

Hi. I own astra j fited with cd400, yesterday I purchased from eBay cd500 display,head unit and Bluetooth. Do you know who can help me out with the installation! And do you have any idea if the unit needs a pin number.Cheers!!!

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 24:th-Jul-2016

a vci code will be needed rusty is doing the retro fit at the moment
sure he will respond soon

Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 24:th-Jul-2016

Right ok so I can retrofit them, as Tucpal said there is an additional cost from GM.

Also what year is your car as GM will only supply a VCI code for it if it was fitted to that year.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ackster - 31:st-Dec-2016

Hi guys, stumbled on this excellent forum after good old google pointed me this way whilst researching!
I have a 2011 insignia with the CD400 DAB and USB factory fitted system and basically want to add Nav and Bluetooth.
I know i will need a whole unit to upgrade, but i'm struggling to find one suitable.
I looked on IceBox and it seems daft that i can get an android unit with nav and bluetooth, but without DAB. I dont mind paying extra for bluetooth and Nav, but to pay extra on top of that for DAB when i already have it, is very annoying.
Having read through this thread, i see the CD 400 can be upgraded to the 500, but all the pictures i'm seeing have different facias to mine - does this matter?
I have found second hand genuine units on Ebay, but again the facias, in particular the lower buttons console where all the heating controls are, are different in that they dont have the heated seat buttons etc. Again, does this matter or am i able to leave the existing panel in there?

As for my competence, i have been doing straight swaps on older cars for years, but have no clue about modern programming etc. They've moved on a lot since the old single din aftermarkets. If its a simple case of removing panels and dash for a straight swap, then i can do it myself, but if it involves more than that, is anyone local to do it for me?
Thanks for any help

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 31:st-Dec-2016

(31:st-Dec-2016, 00:52:00)ackster Wrote: Hi guys, stumbled on this excellent forum after good old google pointed me this way whilst researching!
I have a 2011 insignia with the CD400 DAB and USB factory fitted system and basically want to add Nav and Bluetooth.
I know i will need a whole unit to upgrade, but i'm struggling to find one suitable.
I looked on IceBox and it seems daft that i can get an android unit with nav and bluetooth, but without DAB. I dont mind paying extra for bluetooth and Nav, but to pay extra on top of that for DAB when i already have it, is very annoying.
Having read through this thread, i see the CD 400 can be upgraded to the 500, but all the pictures i'm seeing have different facias to mine - does this matter?
I have found second hand genuine units on Ebay, but again the facias, in particular the lower buttons console where all the heating controls are, are different in that they dont have the heated seat buttons etc. Again, does this matter or am i able to leave the existing panel in there?

As for my competence, i have been doing straight swaps on older cars for years, but have no clue about modern programming etc. They've moved  on a lot since the old single din aftermarkets. If its a simple case of removing panels and dash for a straight swap, then i can do it myself, but if it involves more than that, is anyone local to do it for me?
Thanks for any help

Hi,

I can answer your question it's not a case of pulling one out and pushing the other in, there are wiring changes needed and also programming is needed which can only be done via MDI and SPS.

As for the heater panel yes that can swapped.

I am the closest to you and could do it not a problem, If you PM we we can go into more detail.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 15:th-Jan-2017

Hello.

Can anyone help me maybe: i upgraded my CD500 to aftermarket android unit (that is compatible with CD400). Now center button panel is not working. What wires are needed to rearrange to make it work ?

One more thing - my car is Insignia, but i guess CD400 and CD500 units are basically the same (only outer design is different)

(Old unit was CD500, new unit is aftermarket CD400 compatible and button panel is from CD500)
So basically i need to do the opposite as described in this thread. (get CD500 button panel to work with CD400)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 15:th-Jan-2017

there are a fair few wires that will need changing over and there is no guarantee that will work
as vci mdi is also needed to make them work
if it is not compatible with the cd500 then you would be best to send it back

Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Jan-2017

Tucpal it is a case of swapping the wires over and getting a cd400 radio panel.

I am thinking of making a looms up and selling them for those that want to use a and aftermarket unit.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 16:th-Jan-2017

Rusty, is it somehow possible to use CD500 panel ?
I have an extra controller connected to it - next to handbrake. There is no wire from car to this controller (except +12v and GND) - control wire comes from this controller and goes to CD500 panel plug pin 4 - that is the only wire that connects to this pin. And currently this extra controller is also not working along with button panel. (It is like an extension to button panel)

If you could construct such a loom that makes it possible for CD500 panel to work with aftermarket Android unit, (aftermarket unit does not have pins that connect to the wires that send info to CD500 panel), then i would buy it.
(Or you can send me some instructions and i could try to make it work myself)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 16:th-Jan-2017

this is the problem with the insignia if you also have the armrest controller on the nav 500 already
then you would be disabling it also by adding the cd400 controls as the cd400 in the insignia never had armrest controls
it can be retro fitted though this will give you an idaea how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lx_Nec_yI

rusty may be able to work it out by the youtube clip

or you could ask on insignia es forum they may help

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 17:th-Jan-2017

Thanks, that is how i retrofitted mine. My car did not have this armrest controller by default, so i bought one and retrofitted it just like in this video. It was working ok, until i replaced my CD500 with aftermarket unit. In this video the unit is CD500, so CD400 button panel is not an option i guess...

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Jan-2017

Your issue is you are going to a unit that is built to work from a CD400 unit set-up.

You will not be able to make the cd500 controls work with a cd400 setup the same way you wouldn't be able to make cd400 controls work with a cd500 setup.

CD400 control panel only has 3 pins on it Power, Ground and Network Bus.
CD500 control panel has 7 pins on it Power, Ground, Wake-up, Reset, Data High, Data Low and Data Shield.

The screen is also wired different
cd400 screen has 8 wires Power, Ground, Network Bus, Wake-up, Reset, Data High, Data Low & Data Shield.
Cd500 screen only has 4 Power, Ground, Dimming & Remote Enable.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 18:th-Jan-2017

So... it is not possible to use CD500 button panel with any aftermarket unit ?
If i get a CD400 button panel, will it work ? And how to get it to work ? And most importantly - can i connect the armrest controls to CD400 button panel somehow ?
If that is not possible in any way, is it somehow possible to connect both - original unit and aftermarket unit ?
Aftermarket unit for navi, reversing camera, OBD2 and all sort of programs and original unit for button controls and FM radio ?
(I would, of course, need to find a room for extra unit then...)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Jan-2017

That's correct CD500 panel will not work with any aftermarket unit.

Yes once the wiring changes have been made, no it will not be possible to make the armrest control panel work with a cd400 panel.

No its not possible to run both systems, the aftermarket unit would run FM anyway.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 19:th-Jan-2017

Aftermarket unit has very crappy FM radio. Even with power antenna almost no reception. (I have heard that all aftermarket units have this problem)
Original unit has navi that should belong to the previous century... and navi updates are too expensive.

Why it is not possibe to connect both units parallel ? CD400 and aftermarket unit can be connected parallel - i have seen it.

What are my options ? - i want good FM radio, good navi (Sygic), reversing camera support and all buttons (including armrest buttons) working.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 20:th-Jan-2017

All aftermarket units I've ever had have no issue with FM unless using a cheap rubbish aerial.

So where are you going to install both screens, units and radio control panels?

You can't run cd400 and navi set up as they have to different wiring setups. What you have seen is a CD400 setup and a Tablet device but I wish you luck if you want to try it.

Stick with the CD500 and get a navi on your phone.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Jerry - 20:th-Jan-2017

Like @Rusty2009 said stick with the CD500 and maybe consider to purchase a Video GPS integration box.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 20:th-Jan-2017

To Rusty: thanks for answering,

FM reception with my original CD500 unit was excellent. With aftermarket unit - almost none. (same antenna)

Where I am going to install both units - maybe one into glove compartment, but what i would like to know is that if i connect them parallel, will there be any errors or even short circuits ? Or should I use CD500 as my main unit and connect aftermarket unit only with +12 and GND ? (and GPS antenna, so i can use it as navi device and input for reversing camera) I guess i also need to connect something more because reversing camera switches on automatically for now.

What i have seen are definitely aftermarket android units that are made to the specific car and as CD400 screen is smaller, it is seated where sigarette lighter used to be. Some units are advertised as being able to work together with original CD400 unit.
Not with CD500 though...

Using navi with phone is wery uncomfortable in my opinion and i really need reversing camera support. (tight parking places and narrow field of view from my car)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 20:th-Jan-2017

To Jerry:

Can i use such a device with some custom (user installable) navi program (with speeding cameras and other stuff) ?

I have to maybe use some rearview mirror that has an android OS integrated and reversing camera support. (if there is absolutely no other way)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Jerry - 21:st-Jan-2017

The device have a built-in navigation module on Wince 6.0 system. I think you can install diferent navi sw.
But now you can also buy an Android version.
Ex.:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2016-Opel-multimedia-Android-car-video_60392089943.html

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 21:st-Jan-2017

Thanks Jerry.
This device is made espesially for 2014, 2015 year cars. My car is 2009 model. Will it work ? And there is mentioned some kind of touch screen - do i understand correctly that there is an extra touch screen bundled that can be installed in fron of the original screen ? (my original CD500 screen is 480x240 pixels)

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Jerry - 21:st-Jan-2017

Check pictures (touch screen) on this side
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/car-dvd-interface-opel-Astra-j-opel-Insignia-opel-cd500-opel-cd600-built-in-gps-navigation/1920211_1000002386002.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.OBWTxI

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - ANUBIS - 22:nd-Jan-2017

This one looks promising. Only thing that's missing is Android OS. (Windows CE is a no-go)

Ideal for me would be a car video interface with reversing camera support, GPS, Android OS, wifi (for installing my own software) and touch screen that can be installed in front of the original screen. And it must be compatible with Insignia 2009 year model with CD500.

I have looked for such a device but no luck so far... - there are very many similar devices but each one has some missing property.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 22:nd-Jan-2017

I fitted the interface box to the insignia nav 600 to get the reverse camera option

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Multimedia-interface-reverse-camera-navi-600-insignia-astra-j

it can also do other things like add dvd phone pc etc to it
but you need additional boxes adding to it.
so it can get over complicated and your glove box will have to store all the dvd boxs etc

now i did remove this from my car and install the factory rear camera as the interface box was interfering with the TPMS sensors
there is an external power box a small black box on the loom that was the issue i would recommend removing that black box
for that reason you can still make the rear camara work with out the loom from the main loom to the back of the navi you only really need the blue cable for that but as you want to have dvd etc added you would need to keep the black box and may have TPMS sensor loss issues unless you shield the black box to stop RF interference.

Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - mart - 26:th-Jan-2017

Was looking at this thread, is it easy to do. Is there a how too guide.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 27:th-Jan-2017

(26:th-Jan-2017, 20:47:55)mart Wrote: Was looking at this thread, is it easy to do. Is there a how too guide.

There is no how-to guide and there are only 2 people who know all the wiring changes needed and have access to program the radios.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - alanfmooney - 1:st-Feb-2017

Rusty, Can a DVD 800 be retro fitted to a 2013 Insignia with CD400 installed? Have the complete unit, screen, center console and usb port.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Feb-2017

(1:st-Feb-2017, 12:54:25)alanfmooney Wrote: Rusty, Can a DVD 800 be retro fitted to a 2013 Insignia with CD400 installed? Have the complete unit, screen, center console and usb port.

Officially no, un-officially yes.

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - tucpal - 2:nd-Feb-2017

yes

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - S4sch4 - 6:th-Feb-2017

Sorry for using this thread. But i think someone can help me. I own a Opel Mokka and have the intellilink 600 CD Radio, now i bought for just 200 € an silver box 950. As i expected my local Dealer can not program the unit because Opel / GM does not provide any VCI Code .

Any Chance to get it work? - Thanks a lot

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rich-72 - 13:th-Feb-2017

So how much would it cost to change the cd400 unit (no Bluetooth) to a nav500 unit with Bluetooth and sat nav? I have a 2011 Astra elite. Providing I can source a nav500.

Thanks

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Feb-2017

(13:th-Feb-2017, 00:13:04)Rich-72 Wrote: So how much would it cost to change the cd400 unit (no Bluetooth) to a nav500 unit with Bluetooth and sat nav? I have a 2011 Astra elite. Providing I can source a nav500.

If your supplying all parts I would fit and program for £100.

Thanks for reply,

Where are you based?

Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Feb-2017

(13:th-Feb-2017, 10:33:13)Rich-72 Wrote: Thanks for reply,

Where are you based?

I'm in Bournemouth.

I'm in Essex so might be a bit far? Maybe a road trip is in order this summer!

Thanks

RE: Cd400 to nav500 upgrade. - Rusty2009 - 14:th-Feb-2017

(13:th-Feb-2017, 21:21:05)Rich-72 Wrote: I'm in Essex so might be a bit far? Maybe a road trip is in order this summer!

Thanks

I'm deffo your closest then mate.