Switch to desktop version  
JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: JJ'S Astra Progress thread (/showthread.php?tid=1454)

Pages: 1 2 3

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 30:th-Mar-2015

Hi guys,

New to the forum, been looking for a dedicated J forum & finally found one!

I sold my Vectra, had an Astra J for a short time and then got a BMW which I had for almost a year.. Kinda missed the Astra from day one but stuck with it.

With service and MOT time looming I decided it was time for a change.

I managed to find a garage with the right spec car and managed to get a straight swap for my 2009 BMW 320D for this 2010 Astra SRI CDTI. My BMW was worth a fraction more but I'm more than happy as I really wanted to be back in a Vauxhall.

It's a 60 plate Astra 1.7 SRI CDTI, 1 owner, full history, full MOT, 12 months warranty.

Couple of optional extras which were a bonus:
Sat Nav
Bluetooth
Voice recognition
Spare wheel kit rather than Goo/Pump.

Plans:

PIAA White DRL bulbs already done
Gloss black front grill, may even plastidip it.
19" Vauxhall wheels found on some high spec J's (Poss)
If not, a wheel refurb as these are kerbed
Tinted rear windows
Fit private reg & get some new pressed plates as mine are Chipped.

Any recommended mods for these? Cheaper the better!

Hope you like!

Cheers

Jordan

RE: New from Norfolk... - Rusty2009 - 31:st-Mar-2015

Welcome to VXOC, nice looking car you have there.

There are lots of mods you can do have a look though members progress threads for ideas.

RE: New from Norfolk... - tucpal - 31:st-Mar-2015

(31:st-Mar-2015, 13:13:43)Rusty2009 Wrote: Welcome to VXOC, nice looking car you have there.

There are lots of mods you can do have a look though members progress threads for ideas.

welcome to vxoc 

RE: New from Norfolk... - WhelanUK - 31:st-Mar-2015

Hello and welcome!

RE: New from Norfolk... - grahamfromoldham - 31:st-Mar-2015

Greetings from Winsford!

RE: New from Norfolk... - sheppy1 - 31:st-Mar-2015

Welcome to the forums! As others have said, there are lots of tutorials on here which will help you carry out some of the mods you're looking to undertake and also some which you may not know you want to undertake yet

Lots of helpful people on here too who are more than happy to help out however possible! Enjoy your time on the forums

RE: New from Norfolk... - Jj0063 - 1:st-Apr-2015

Cheers guys! I'm doing lots of reading in the background

Window tints will be next I think. Along with plastidipping the grill & rear griffin.

RE: New from Norfolk... - Gilmore - 8:th-Apr-2015

The debadged grill is a nice looking mod on the black car, see the Facebook page for a pic of mine or I'm sure someone will post a pic on here for u, plasti dipping / painting chrome is meant to b a pain

New from Norfolk... - Lewis6317 - 8:th-Apr-2015

Nice, so want navi unit !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: New from Norfolk... - Jj0063 - 11:th-Apr-2015

So I painted my rear griffin black during the week and today refitted it with new tape, don't like it. Think I'm just gonna get a new chrome one.

I also found some scraps of gloss black wrap so did my grill.. I need to do it again as its about a million pieces as I had to jigsaw my scraps together.. Looks ok from a distance!

New from Norfolk... - sheppy1 - 11:th-Apr-2015

Yeah think it looked better as it was or maybe in white...too much black there, no defining features. Least you tried thoigh and know now that it's not for you . Would have looked good on a red car though

How about 'Storm Grey'

That was before black, so if I did it again now it'd come out slightly darker.. Might try that?

RE: New from Norfolk... - tucpal - 11:th-Apr-2015

front grill looks much better mate
but no on the black rear griffin

do you want me to move this thread over to the progress thread section for you lol

(11:th-Apr-2015, 21:06:47)tucpal Wrote: front grill looks much better mate
but no on the black rear griffin

do you want me to move this thread over to the progress thread section for you lol

Thanks!

Yes please mate can do! Could you rename it 'JJ's Astra' please 

Cheers
Jordan

RE: JJ,S ASTRA - tucpal - 12:th-Apr-2015

ALL DONE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - sheppy1 - 12:th-Apr-2015

Looks good mate! Like night rider hehe

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 18:th-Apr-2015

Hi,

So today when I got home from work the sun was shining so I decided to spend a couple of hours on the car. I really need to invest in a DA as now I've seen it in decent light, it's covered in swirls. I did go over the bonnet with a Halfords electric 'buffer' I had from years back with some SRP & then coated with G3 wax but it wasn't worth doing the whole car, it really needs some proper DA & a day on it.

I managed today:

2BM with AG shampoo and lambswool mitt, noodle mitt for wheels and arches
Rinsed
G3 Clay mitt with PB QD+
Towel dried with PB QD+
AG SRP to test on bonnet topped with G3 Superwax
AG Clean glass
Rain X'd windows
Megs tyre gel
AG trim gel
AS Highstyle for sill trims/kick plates

I don't have much spare money so my products are budget but I try my best.

It really is far from perfect & if anyone in Norfolk with a DA fancies earning a few quid.. Get in touch please!

The roof came out much better with a few sweeps of the G3 clay mitt.

Any comments or criticism certainly welcomed

Jordan

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Tonto - 18:th-Apr-2015

Car looks lovely mate, I need to use a proper polish and buffer for mine! I'm also on budget so have got some low end products myself..

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - dutton84 - 18:th-Apr-2015

You fancy doing mine? Ha. Looks good. Mine is full of tiny little scratches black shows up everything!

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 19:th-Apr-2015

spotless well done nothing better than a good waxing

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 21:st-Apr-2015

Fitted this tonight..

thoughts?

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Rusty2009 - 21:st-Apr-2015

I prefer the VX badge over the Opel badge.

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Tonto - 21:st-Apr-2015

I agree with Rusty I prefer the VX badge to, however I have been looking at possibly getting a completely different badge or one custom made for mine

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - sheppy1 - 21:st-Apr-2015

I like it mate! And I actually prefer the Opel badge over the vauxhall badge ha. Does anyone know why they are opels in parts of Europe but vauxhall here in the UK?

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - dutton84 - 21:st-Apr-2015

Yeah VX badge for me.

GM motors own them don't they and they bought Vauxhall out years ago as well as Opel. Think Opel is German

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - sheppy1 - 21:st-Apr-2015

Yeah knew they owned them, didn't know why the name was different that's all...But if GM bought them out then that would explain it...probably just didn't wanna lose the opel brands reputation by renaming them in EU

Yeah then you've got Holden too in Australia. Weird. Vauxhall sounds better I think. But if I was German or Spanish or whatever I'd probably think Opel sounded better and I'd probably prefer the badge. Ha.

What does the Holden badge Look like?

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 21:st-Apr-2015

i like the blitz opel badge very nice

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - DE5IRED - 21:st-Apr-2015

Vaux badge for me also but either way well done good to be different sometimes personally I'll  be sticking with the vauxhall but if I did change would have to be the Holden @dutton84 here's a pic below of the Holden badge baz recently fitted them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh right. Yeah that's nice.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 22:nd-Apr-2015

Thanks guys

Next question, does anyone know the name for these wheels? Can't find them for sale anywhere but often see them on J's.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - sheppy1 - 22:nd-Apr-2015

Not sure about the name of them but this URL has all the info listed for those and for every alloy VX offer:

https://www.opel-accessories.com/en-DE/Astra_Hatchback/Wheels/Alloy_Wheels_19_inch/13259254

Perfick, thanks mate!

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - sheppy1 - 22:nd-Apr-2015

You're welcome you can use the drop downs at the top of the page to specify sizes, models etc. Took me forever to find a site like that but it's really useful!

Just managed to bad a replacement complete boot handle with vauxhall badge for £22.50 posted from ebay, win.

Not sure what to do with it though as I kind of like the Opel badge but if I remove it from this handle I've ruined the sticky pad, and I don't really want to remove the vauxhall badge from the new boot handle and risk ruining the paint again lol.

Might just stick with the Vauxhall badge and keep the Opel one and try and do something with the paint on the handle.

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - dutton84 - 22:nd-Apr-2015

The Opel site sells more stuff than the Vauxhall site. Also the Opel site doesn't list the prices, you have to take down the order number and take it to the dealer. Can you take an Opel order number into Vauxhall?

Ordered a Gates timing belt kit & a circoli water pump tonight.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 22:nd-Apr-2015

the alloys are the Pre face lift SRI alloys and come in 17 inch and 19 inch
i have the 19 and i still love the look

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - dutton84 - 22:nd-Apr-2015

I think they're really smart too. I'd of kept mine if they'd of been 19'' and not 17"

Thanks, I have them in 17" then now, didn't realise lol.

Couple of better pics with it opelised..

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 23:rd-Apr-2015

i do prefer that badge
but the vxline front badge i have is about £45
and bigger than the standard one

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 25:th-Apr-2015

I've today replaced the whole badge as I completely messed the original up removing the other badge & it looked terrible.

Anyone want the old one before I bin it? Will need sanding, filling etc but someone might want it for a project.. It's free lol. The Matt mark on the left is a weird finger print that was on it when I got the car.. It won't polish out.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 26:th-Apr-2015

very good idea just swapping the whole thing over

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 2:nd-May-2015

Nothing too crazy going on but today I went to my local Vauxhall dealer and got a set of mats. They are the best ones Vauxhall do (There are 3 types of carpet mat) these were £53 but with my £20 Masterfit voucher and trade discount I paid £28.60 which I'm happy with! I sealed them with fabric sealant then fitted them tonight. Much better than the ones the car came with which were worn & a weird colour.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - tucpal - 3:rd-May-2015

nothing wrong with new mats they keep the interior looking very good

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Rusty2009 - 3:rd-May-2015

I prefer to see a mat in a car looks tidy lol.

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Tonto - 3:rd-May-2015

Very nice mate

JJ'S Astra Progress thread - dutton84 - 3:rd-May-2015

Nice. I'm going to get the proper Astra mates next time. Got mine from halfords £35.

Are they the velour matts? can get them on eBay for £32.99

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - SI SRI - 8:th-May-2015

Mate do you still have the spare boot handle? If you have mate and still getting rid i will have it off you. Got a little project for myself.

RE: JJ'S Astra Progress thread - Jj0063 - 9:th-May-2015

(8:th-May-2015, 21:30:33)SI SRI Wrote: Mate do you still have the spare boot handle? If you have mate and still getting rid i will have it off you. Got a little project for myself.

I have, drop me a PM & we can sort it. Cheers

(3:rd-May-2015, 10:55:27)dutton84 Wrote: Nice. I'm going to get the proper Astra mates next time. Got mine from halfords £35.

Are they the velour matts? can get them on eBay for £32.99

They are different. The £32.99 ones are vauxhalls mid ones which I was offered for £16 odd. The ones I have are £42 on eBay & I paid £28.60.