VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: How-to Extra boot light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]

How-to Extra Boot light.

Ok so first of all you need to feel along the top of the side trim, you will fell there is plastic behind it but as you move along you will feel there is a bit you can push in.

[Image: 1.JPG]

Once you found that area you can start to cut (DO NOT CUT IT ALL WAY) do a small bit to begin with and then slowly make the hole bigger as you go just use try the lamp as you go.

[Image: 2.JPG]

Then make a loom up and feed it through the hole down and down into the hidey hole.

[Image: 3.JPG]

[Image: 4.JPG]

Next remove the rear boot trim, To do this pull the rubber off and then pull the bottom of the trim in towards the front of the car, then using a trim tool lever the top off.

Then feed the loom behind the side trim and work your way along (Sorry not many pics here as some bits you can't get pics of).

[Image: 5.JPG]

[Image: 6.JPG]

Again at the other end feed it up behind the side trim and then feed it to the light (If open the hidey hole and feel the factory loom that will help you with routing this one.)

[Image: 7.JPG]

When wiring up connect you positive to the green and Negative to the Black, then solder and heat-shrink or solder and wrap in Elec tape.

[Image: 8.JPG]

Pop your lights back in and hey pesto extra boot light is installed.

[Image: 9.JPG]

[Image: 10.JPG]

[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]
Nice tutorial mate! Smile gonna try and tackle this tomorrow I think if the weather is still nice! With the first bit though when you say to feel at the top of the trim and push something in, what are you referring too and why does this need to be done?
well done and well worth doing

here is my extra boot light

[Image: boot2001_zpse27b26a8.jpg]
Can't wait to get mine in! Gonna use some of these extra bright bulbs I have too Smile ha
Where the light is pop it unplug and run your hand along the length you will notice there is a cutout in the plastic behind the trim for the light, then it should make sense.

My very first picture was taken as if you were laying down look up.
Hmmmm struggling to understand where that is or why I'd need to do it but wills see tomorrow when I tackle it Smile thanks dude
definitely going to try this, thanks for tutorial mate
Thanks for this tutorial again @rusty2009 just fitted the extra boot light as per your instructions and it works a charm Smile photos are rubbish because it's very sunny (for a change) but here they are:

[Image: Ow1Apm9.jpg]

[Image: 3VUwCLl.jpg]

[Image: vAR2bQ5.jpg]

Any idea where this foam bit is supposed to go under the boot latch though? Looks a bit out of place now...or does it not matter?

[Image: J3XLZ3A.jpg]
Cool did it make sense what I was saying now you've done it?
cool
Ha yeah it did, there's one part where there isn't plastic blocking it isn't there...anywhere else and there wouldn't have been room behind the trim for the light and wiring to go would there Smile
Anyone got any idea where I can get the bulb holder itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lookers will be your best bet it wont be that much
Got a link? It's showing me a dealership search engine through Google

lookers the dealership
Oh, I'll have to pop into my local dealership and request it then. I'm also after the LEDs for the doors

Think the part numbers are in the how to for door lights somewhere
Yeah I've got them, cheers though Smile

Is 21a wire good to use?

Yeah be fine, the stuff I have is just the bog standard speaker wire from maplins

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
So I've bought a rear boot light but it's not got any wires at all, I know it's a daft question but can someone let me know how to wire it up so I can attach wires to the 2 metal pins, thanks

[Image: ea908252e44e1b4488165867086d7940.jpg]

Not a daft question mate, I wouldn't have a clue lol! Pop out the boot light in car and have a look, see if it's a quick and easy fix.

I soldered and covered with heat shrink.

I was thinking of using one of the pins from the connectors I've bought and modifying it to clamp onto the pins and the wire at either end

I've done this, reckon it'll hold?

[Image: 2033126b266a6ca59a90c28411f05e68.jpg]
[Image: 79d475e4f0cc1aee837c2f9629ce3ad2.jpg]

Should be fine mate just put some heat shrink around them

Yeah I did that as soon as I posted the pics aha

[Image: 078e40e172c99b2cc783d1dd30269180.jpg]

looks very good you will have no problems with that
All done

[Image: 1124531437d36022ac14819387421528.jpg]

Nice dude! Glad it worked out for you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
well done looks very good
Looking good

just doing this today to the sig but run out off daylight ha ha
Haha hate these winter hours

(31:st-Oct-2015, 18:58:16)tucpal Wrote: [ -> ]just doing this today to the sig but run out off daylight ha ha

use a tourch
ha ha i just did all done
not the best pics but never the best pics at night
but they really do look better with 2
the insignia had a hole already there and the old astra j light fitted like a glove

[Image: DSC03045_zpsin42odtp.jpg]

[Image: DSC03047_zpsn3naazkt.jpg]
Very nice mate, something else I need to get done!

I originally wanted an insignia but my girlfriend told me I was too young for it and that I'd look old before my time if I had one haha

Ha ha [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
It's practically a big J anyway

They share many parts really but having had a j for over three years it was Time to move on to something different I've already started a few things on it already I will put a few updates up this week about it I am sure we will see my old j back on here at some point ha ha [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Can't believe you sold it with the headlights you modified, I'd have taken them off of your hands :(

(1:st-Nov-2015, 12:05:50)Nemo Wrote: [ -> ]Can't believe you sold it with the headlights you modified, I'd have taken them off of your hands :(

The headlights are now on Lewis's car I had to help fit them, not bad they are really doing the rounds as they came off my car when I got the AFL all working.
Haha I'd really like to convert my own but i don't trust myself to dismantle the units and I don't want to fork out £300 for some new ones

Whenever I have the cash is try getting a set from breakers as cheap as possible and convert them..

i sold and took off as much as i could yer lewis owns the headlights now
Could someone recommend the best bulb for the boot as i am adding an extra light but wasnt sure which white leds would be the best for this. Thanks
Any led ones off eBay are fine but they aint bright really hence why you're better off going down the route in this tutorial.

Any reason you want to add an extra one with a standard bulb and not the led blocks mentioned in my tutorial?

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
is a citroen boot light any good for this
should be as long as it has positive and negative and you can connect it up
Any reason you wouldn't just wanna use the Reg plate bulb strips that I've used @mrtc?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2