VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: How-to LED rear reflectors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]

How-to LED rear reflectors.

You will need the following items.

1. A pair of reflectors.
2. A Stanley knife with some Sharpe blades.
3. Plastex (CLEAR) you can buy it here http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page20.htm
4. A pair of RED LED strips http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171505511260?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=470532550287&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
5. Sealant.
6. Liquid Ploy.

So start with the reflector

[Image: 1.JPG]

We need to cut though along the blue line

[Image: 2.JPG]

The best way I found was start at the biggest end of the reflector and get the end started

[Image: 3.JPG]

Then you can run the knife along in-between the two parts

[Image: 4.JPG]

[Image: 5.JPG]

Get one of the LED strips ready

[Image: 6.JPG]

Then mask up the front of the reflector

[Image: 7.JPG]

Now place the LED strip into the reflector and into a place you are happy with

[Image: 8.JPG]

Then you need to mark the masking tape at each end, and then carefully score the tape so can remove the ends that are not needed

[Image: 9.JPG]

lay the reflector face down

[Image: 10.JPG]

Now you need the Plastex kit.

[Image: 11.JPG]

Get the Powder bottle

[Image: 12.JPG]

You are going to fill the area where the tape is with the powder you need to make sure it's level.

[Image: 13.JPG]

Then get the bottle of fluid

[Image: 14.JPG]

You need to apply drops of the liquid to the powder

[Image: 15.JPG]

Now set that one side and allow to dry for at least 20 minutes, while it's drying repeat the above steps for your other reflector.

Once you've done that drill a 4mm hole in the back of the reflector housing

[Image: 16.JPG]

[Image: 17.JPG]

Next job is get the reflector and lay it face down and start to install the LED strip, just pull a little of the backing up at each end.

[Image: 18.JPG]

once you have the LED strip in the right position use a small amount of black sealant to stop the light spreading through the rest of the reflector.

[Image: 19.JPG]

[Image: 20.JPG]

Set aside and allow to dry (It might pay wrap a bit of masking tape around each end of the LED strip so it doesn't move).

Once dry stick some bits of tape on the face and then feed the wire though the hole in the backing.

[Image: 21.JPG]

[Image: 22.JPG]

Then using the liquid ploy brush it around both the backing and face (where it joins) you do have to work quickly, then stick them together and wrap the tape around to hold it in place.

[Image: 23.JPG]

[Image: 24.JPG]

[Image: 25.JPG]

Set aside and allow to dry for 30mins or so.

Once that's done run a bead of sealant around the rim and also where the wires are coming out of

[Image: 26.JPG]

[Image: 27.JPG]

That's it it's up to you how you want to wire them up, I've decided to use these as rear fog lights and add an extra reversing light.

[Image: 3.JPG]

[Image: 1.JPG]

[Image: 2.JPG]

[Image: 4.JPG]

[Image: 5.JPG]

[Image: 6.JPG]

Thank's to Baz for the help with this (Baz is doing it for the GTC/VXR).

[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]
Awesome mate Smile its been long talked about and finally its been done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks real good mate well done Wink_1
Thanks chaps.

Been for a drive and had the wife follow me, she said they are bright and stand out really well, still yet to test the extra reverse light out but will in alley at home where it's really dark

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
:-p question, when and how much to do mine :-)

Lewis6317 Wrote::-p question, when and how much to do mine :-)

Lol texted you mate

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Hey Rusty,

good job, looks very well. If I found some time I will send you mine, too ;-)
Lewis I've got a spare set of led strips
i do like this retro fit but were do you stand with the regulations for fog light height ?
i know there is one for the brake light but not to sure on the fogs
i quick Google about and it looks like there is a max height 1200mm for fog lights
but no minimum so i think this will be ok :cool
Tucpal it all meets the requirements Baz checked that.

I also had a chat with Kevin about it too.

yesterday when I got my headlights adjusted (at my MOT place) I asked the chap there if it would pass an MOT and he said yes.
cornishtaz Wrote:Lewis I've got a spare set of led strips

Kool mate :-)

Sorry if this sounds daft but im new here and just wanted to ask a couple of questions. How did you connect the second reverse light and also how did you connect the led to the fog light switch?

I really want to do this for my J but just am not sure about how to wire it all up and if i need to buy a bulb for the reverse light or if its just the plastic that is a different colour
Hi. I dont mean to sound silly because it may be obvious but im new to this and have just recently purchased my astra.  just wanted to aSK how did you wire the led to the fog light switch and also how did u wire the second reverse light? would i need to purchase another bulb or is the difference just the way it is wired. And what about the colour of the plastic in front of the original rear fog light does this need to be changed?

I really want to do this but am not sure how to connect everything
That's actually a good question @harry_g and i'd like to know too! Ha
I got a LHD tail lamp so it had the reverse light.

I than tapped into the reverse light wire and ran it to RH side.

I de-pinned the fog light and joined that wire to the new wire I ran from the reflectors.

great thanks for your help...will try and have a look at this within the next couple of weeks.

any idea where to order the glue and sealant i need? sorry to ask so many questions but i have no idea about these things. also is it just straight forward to remove the reflectors and re insert them?
(16:th-Feb-2016, 11:31:32)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]I got a LHD tail lamp so it had the reverse light.

I than tapped into the reverse light wire and ran it to RH side.

I de-pinned the fog light and joined that wire to the new wire I ran from the reflectors.

Hi mate, gonna have a crack at this tomorrow as ive received all the parts. Quick question, where and how did you run the wire from the reflectors to tap into the fog light wire? 

will upload pics as soon as im done. I also installed my second boot light on the opposite side. Helps a lot!
I ran into the boot via the rubber grommet on the left hand side and tapped into the fog wire there.

I'd have to check the wire colour tho

hey rusty, so are gunna start making these to sell?
(28:th-Feb-2016, 13:16:27)mrtc Wrote: [ -> ]hey rusty, so are gunna start making these to sell?

No I doubt it if people want a set I'll make them for them if needed tho.
(27:th-Feb-2016, 20:41:56)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]I ran into the boot via the rubber grommet on the left hand side and tapped into the fog wire there.

I'd have to check the wire colour tho

Thanks for the info mate, I did this on the weekend will upload pics as soon as i get a chance. Excellent How-To! Ran it the same way behind the rear tail light through the rubber grommet
What is it that the plastex does?
(3:rd-Dec-2016, 10:50:16)stigeye Wrote: [ -> ]What is it that the plastex does?

It stops the reflective and allows the light to come through brighter.
I would love to do this but I am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to things like this lol
where has the pictures gone?
(13:th-Aug-2017, 23:18:58)tommyh141 Wrote: [ -> ]where has the pictures gone?

Photobucket changed it's policy's & now wants people to pay to link to forum & websites.

I am slowly getting getting all my pictures uploaded to the server.

Edit Pic links updated.
Hi Rusty could you make me a set of these's ?
PM me about it thanks
Just finishing a set for my car now will upload pics when done
Hey Rusty,
Good job, looks very well.
Hey! Looking good. Am I able to splice these into the number plate wiring? Only want them as running lights/ when I open the boot.

There are two wires going into the number plate. Anyone know which Is earth and positive? Cheers. (Black and yellow wire)
(14:th-Jul-2020, 15:28:30)Mark1197 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! Looking good. Am I able to splice these into the number plate wiring? Only want them as running lights/ when I open the boot.

There are two wires going into the number plate. Anyone know which Is earth and positive? Cheers. (Black and yellow wire)

You can splice into anything you want, brake lights fog lights number-plate lights.
this looks nice!
Just to make people aware you can buy these already done from Aliexpress now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40009715...QJ2x9&mp=1