Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
in between miles regeneration distance

Distance in miles between regeneration
Hi guys after recently having a new dpf fitted I'm keen to keep it well maintained. 
Was wondering what sort of miles people are getting between regens?
Anything between 350 to 500 miles for each regen.

Short 7 mile trip to work, and 7 back home again during the week. Then a couple of bypass journeys at weekends with at least a 40 mile round trip each time.

I nearly always let it complete the cycle, although there are times it decides to do it when most inconvenient. If it decides to start a regen a couple of miles from my destination, I just put it in a lower gear and get the revs up to 3 or 4 k so it at least has had a little blast to start the cleaning process.
It really depends how your driving the car etc mostly motorway your get 600+ miles between regens, all town work 100-200miles.

Whenever my light comes on I always drop down a gear to get the revs up to around 3k even on the motorways.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
OK thanks for the information

Just checked my soot levels are 42% and it's been 120 miles since the last regen... So will be about 250 miles when next is due
Car done a regen today but soot levels were only at 48% it completed but only went down to 36% levels??
Stop worrying leave it alone the car doing what it is meant to be doing.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
But a complete cycle and only lowered by 12%
Sometimes it only clears a small bit perfectly normal.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
OK thanks for that just find it weird as it was only 120 odd miles since last regen
As rusty says leave it be or you will become paranoid, there isn't a logical reason to it they just do it then the computer thinks it's required, some are short and some are full regens based on distance , driving style etc. If you want to keep an eye on it just check once a month and keep an eye on your light. Even with a new dpf there isn't a set parameters. I work for VW and they are the same although if you are low on fuel on the VW they won't do a regen, need half a tank of diesel.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
(15:th-Aug-2020, 19:26:29)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: As rusty says leave it be or you will become paranoid, there isn't a logical reason to it they just do it then the computer thinks it's required, some are short and some are full regens based on distance , driving style etc. If you want to keep an eye on it just check once a month and keep an eye on your light. Even with a new dpf there isn't a set parameters. I work for VW and they are the same although if you are low on fuel on the VW they won't do a regen, need half a tank of diesel.

Just find it strange as the first regen went from 80% to 8%....this one went from 48% to 36%?and only 120 miles between? 
Like I said they don't always do a full regen and it's not based on distance. For instance it may be you've done some stop start driving so it thinks right let's do a little regen while perhaps you are on a longer run. The car knows best and does what it needs. I would just let it get on with letting it look after itself.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
(15:th-Aug-2020, 19:36:53)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: Just paranoid as everybody says it will only regen between 70%-90% soot levels..... Did one today at 48%??

Just paranoid as everybody says it will only regen between 70%-90% soot levels..... Did one today at 48%??
(15:th-Aug-2020, 19:47:04)Kiel0777 Wrote:
(15:th-Aug-2020, 19:36:53)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: Just paranoid as everybody says it will only regen between 70%-90% soot levels..... Did one today at 48%??

Just paranoid as everybody says it will only regen between 70%-90% soot levels..... Did one today at 48%??

Not bad mpg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very good, considering I only get around 37mpg from my 2.0 CDTi auto.
(15:th-Aug-2020, 14:10:42)Rusty2009 Wrote: Stop worrying leave it alone the car doing what it is meant to be doing.

Hi Rusty it may be me being paranoid but the car did another regen this morning engine wasn't even warm only drove for less than a mile? Its the second regen in 3 days?
(18:th-Aug-2020, 05:54:45)Kiel0777 Wrote: Hi Rusty it may be me being paranoid but the car did another regen this morning engine wasn't even warm only drove for less than a mile? Its the second regen in 3 days?

Presumably you're letting it complete the regen cycle, and doing a few miles extra for good measure after completion?

If not, then it's doing another regen a few days later to try and finish what it previously started.

I've had a regen occur within a mile of leaving the house before now. Temperature gauge hadn't even moved.
(20:th-Aug-2020, 03:24:02)Big Dave2 Wrote:
(18:th-Aug-2020, 05:54:45)Kiel0777 Wrote: Hi Rusty it may be me being paranoid but the car did another regen this morning engine wasn't even warm only drove for less than a mile? Its the second regen in 3 days?

Presumably you're letting it complete the regen cycle, and doing a few miles extra for good measure after completion?

If not, then it's doing another regen a few days later to try and finish what it previously started.

I've had a regen occur within a mile of leaving the house before now. Temperature gauge hadn't even moved.

Yeah always completed as have the led fitted.... Just strange as everywhere I've looked has said it will. Not start a regen unless coolant temperature is 90 degrees

Who read this thread?
3 User(s) read this thread:
Nerrybug (17:th-Feb-2024, 04:02:44), Keenanelilk (20:th-Feb-2024, 16:23:00), TrealdUnrem (6:th-Apr-2024, 01:28:18)