Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
removal roof rails

roof rails removal
My roof rails look pretty bad as you can see below. Any ideas on how to remove them without braking any clips underneath in order to spray paint them? Where should I start prying?

[img]<a href=[/img]" />

[img]<a href=[/img]" />

[img]<a href=[/img]" />

[img]<a href=[/img]" />
I would leave the car in the sun so as to warm the clips up, make them more flexible, start from the back using a trim removal tool gently start unclipping chances are as careful as you are they do go brittle over time you may end up with some breakages.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
Then I guess I should try a plastic restorer item first.  If the result is bad I 'll try removing and spray paint them
A good plastic dye or restorer worth a go for sure as painting plastic can be a bit hit and miss. If you masked the area either side of the trims you could try and do them in situ. I've used tyre gel in the past brings the trim up even badly faded but you have to do it regularly.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
Mine came off really easy just started pulling up from the back of the car working forwards. They unclip and then just push down to refit.
I 've ordered a specific plastic restorer which is on its way. I ll post some before/after pictures as soon as I get it. Durability will tell if I remove and paint them.
From previous experience at another car, meg's tyre gel lasted a few weeks. Carpro's perl lasted about a month and a half. I ve once applied a product which promised to last a year. It did last a year but after that, plastic looked worse.
Ok I ve applied 2 coats of leather dye and topped with aerospace 303 which claims to be uv resistant. They look better but not perfect. Colour is restored but as you can see from the photos some watermarks alike can be seen. Maybe I should 've sanded them before application.

may pay to paint them?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Mine have totally peeled and need sprayed or replaced however I can't find any online can anyone help pls?