Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Poll: What tuning box do you have
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DTUK
34.38%
11 34.38%
RaceChip
31.25%
10 31.25%
MaxTune
3.13%
1 3.13%
Other
31.25%
10 31.25%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
are got what boxes your you tuning have and findings

Tuning Boxes - What have you got and what are your findings
Ok so I thought it might be worth having a thread specifically for this as I am probably bad for hijacking peoples progress threads when they have one of these fitted to see about cost ect hence this poll thread.

I don't want this thread to be an argument about remaps vs tuning boxes as you can get good tuning boxes that are far from the old style you used to by for £10 off eBay.

There are good reputable companies now who will work with you if you are having problems ect and some even look for people who are willing to test out products and report back so they can make these boxes as close to the read thing as possible so please keep on topic. 

I have been doing research online reading various different forums and arguments for and against and the one thing I have notice is after 2009 people opinions have started to change. I know that every car is different and to get the best out your car you should get a remap specific to your own car but I do believe these chips and chip companies have a place.

Anyway if people would please select what tuning box they have and let us know which one you have, how you find it, also how easy it was to install and change setting that would be great.

I am aiming this threat at people looking for advice but don't want to pay for a remap or there car is still under warranty and wanting to know what the options are and looking for advice from people with the same or similar car to them.
I currently have maxchip pro fitted (paid £188 from Amazon, usual price £229 GBP) to my 2.0cdti ecoflex (only fitted yesterday!)

Findings so far, instructions are pretty pants, a literal translation from German to English, I had to make a call to the support line to establish what was the low and high setting, packaging a bit poor too

Was very easy to fit as I previously had a racechip, however, instructions supplied were for an Antara, whose underbonnet pictures were nothing like mine at all!

The box came set on power level 11/15

Once fitted, went for a test drive, instantly noticeable, more push and more impressive was a push that was maintained with revs, previous diesels I have owned that were remapped/tuning boxed appeared to be a bit woosh/bang, all over 1,000rpm later

Its now deceptively quick, its not so much the instant push in the back (from off to on boost) its the sustained pull that keeps going to what seems 5,000rpm

As I have had both a maxchip and racechip I'll now comment on both

Racechip, I went for a model one, which came in at around £104 (GBP)

Packaging so much better and the instructions better, still not perfect, but, you can tell someone spent more time/money on the packaging/instructions/information

When fitted, it was in the lowest tune, which was barely any better than standard specification, this meant unscrewing the box and adjusting, bit, of a pain to do, as its not a standard cross/flat head screw

On paper the maxchip gives 224bhp and the racechip one 199bhp, so maybe not a fair comparison, however, the racechip seems to deliver its power lower down the rev range, but, tails off compared to the maxchip

To sum up, the racechip is a pretty good deal, at just over £100, it should fit most budgets and it did also increase my mpg from around 49-50 to 53, so there are savings in fuel to be had. If you can afford/justify, then the maxchip appears to give a higher level of performance, less turbocharged, if that makes sense

I am glad to have had both and would happily run either again in my car

I ruled out paying for a remap as both options locally to me were £450-£580, hardly peanuts

The GM warranty for my car expires late June 2016
Decided to rehash my earlier review for the Racechip One tuning box as it wasn’t much of a read…. J

I bought my Astra 2.0 cdti SRI vx-line back in April 2015. I was initially impressed with the overall performance and fuel consumption but I did feel that the car could be quite laggy sometimes or even get bogged down particularly if the revs were below 1500 rpm. In early Jun I started exploring the remap/tuning box routes to get some increased urgency for the car.

I wasn’t looking for a huge jump in power at the risk of extra strain on the gearbox so was just looking for a solution to give the car better drivability and some extra performance. (i.e. 20-25% etc.)

The remap route didn’t really pan out for me as only a few companies in Ireland offer ECU remaps and at that time the local guy (i.e. 60 miles away) didn’t have a dyno so I wasn’t keen on that route. (generic map, no dyno etc.)

So I looked at some tuning boxes and narrowed it down to the Bluespark, Racechip and DTUK options. All of them had decent enough reviews on the net and whilst the DTUK probably had a few more reviews it was very pricey at £350 IIRC. Value wise, I would expect a remap and dyno run for that type of money so I ruled it out on that basis. (i.e. I’d also read that 2nd hand DTUKs could be hit and miss?)

Anyway I wasn’t looking to splash out a lot of money for a tuning box as I held the opinion that if it didn’t work out, I would just cut my losses and bin it. The Racechip One at 100 quid appeared to be a bargain and couldn’t really find any bad reviews with it. (i.e. Mostly German reviews though) The more expensive Racechip’s are 200 and 350 quid but for very little extra gain over the Racechip One. (I.e. In my opinion)

From Racechip Website

Racechip Performance - May 2015
---------------------------------------------------------
One - 209hp/418nm
Pro2 – 216hp/439nm
Ultimate – 218hp/443nm

Update Aug 2015

The unit arrived in a few days and it was really easy to fit. To fit it the engine cover needs to be removed to expose the common rail and inlet manifold. The Racechip wiring harness connects to the end of the common rail and to the boost sensor which sits behind the common rail on the inlet manifold.

Once I had it installed, I took it for a test drive and it really impresses and sharpens up the responsiveness and power band. Pedal effort is reduced and the car pulls better thru all the gears. (Not sure about 1st gear?) It was also noticeable that there was less turbo lag.

I left the settings the same as they left the factory. (B1) It was a great investment for 100 quid.

Update Oct 2015

I was having a look at Racechip website and noticed that the Racechip performance gains had been revised in Sep 2015. To me it looked like a marketing ploy for them to sell more of the expensive units as the performance gains on the base model had been reduced. So being the curious type, I sent them an email to ask them about this but they didn’t really answer my question either because they didn’t understand me or wanted to skirt around the truth.

Racechip Performance - Sep 2015
-------------------------------------------------------
One - 199hp/415nm (Down 10hp and 3nm)
Pro2 – 204hp/430nm (Down 9hp and 9nm)
Ultimate – 212hp/445nm (Down 6hp and up 2nm)

Update March 2016

So back in March I was chatting to @Andy on the forum who had just bought a Racechip One and it struck me that I had never altered the standard settings (B1) on the Racechip One. The main reason for this is that I’d been a little reluctant to crank it up due to an ongoing coolant leak that I have had on my inlet manifold. (Gasket failure)

The settings in my user manual are as follows:-

Standard Setting – B1
Performance Level 1 – D1
Performance Level 2 – E2

Interesting to note that Andy has/had the newer Racechip One version (199hp) which has reduced power settings according to the website claims.

Andy and I compared the documentation and it appears that Racechip had quite possibly changed the mapping as the documentation showed an additional Performance Level. (F3)

Anyway, I change from settings from B1 to E2 and this really transforms the car even further. It is super responsive now and really pulls like a train. Also, no exhaust smoke so I am happy about that too as I suspected it would smoke if I messed with the settings.

Update April 2016

So I’d had the car for 15k miles and decided to see what the difference in consumption was before and after the Racechip was fitted. I log all of my car expenses and fill-up’s using an Android app called aCar.

Overall the MPG figures are much the same but on closer inspection they are a little different.

Without Racechip One (Standard)

Distance travelled = 7000 miles
Ave MPG = 46
Best MPG = 49
Worse MPG = 44

With Racechip One – Setting B1 (Standard)

Distance travelled = 8000 miles
Ave MPG = 44
Best MPG = 45
Worst MPG = 43

So average mpg dropped by 2 MPG with the Racechip fitted but probably more because I might drive a wee bit more enthusiastic these days.

Update April 2016 – Part 2

My car needed a service so booked it into my local Opel dealer. Before I took it through to them I thought I would remove the Racechip. As part of the service they did a few software updates to the car which made the car feel a lot more eager to drive. It was that good that I decided not to put the Racechip back on for the meantime until the novelty of the new standard mapping wore off.

Fuel consumption improved and I started seeing over 50 mpg on a couple of tanks.

Update May 2016

Eventually I decided that I needed the Racechip back in my life so I fitted it again but this time on D1 setting as thought that the E2 setting was a little rough at idle. It’s quite possible that I imagined there was a rough idle on E2 but there was certainly quite a difference between the On Board fuel consumption readout and actual MPG figures. (i.e. 10 MPG diff ETC) Originally the Racechip caused the OBC to under read by 2-3 MPG but this gap grew on E2 setting.

So the car responds as well on the reduced D1 setting and is very smooth now. I’ll be leaving it on this setting for a while and monitor the MPG. Also I have ordered one of those OBD readers which will give me access to some performance data via an app. Once it arrives I will see if I can put together a without/with Racechip comparison.

Emailed Racechip again about the power outputs and this time they confirmed the 2nd set of performance claims. (1st set were optimistic?)

Correct figures - Racechip Performance - Sep 2015
-------------------------------------------------------------------
One - 199hp/415nm
Pro2 – 204hp/430nm
Ultimate – 212hp/445nm

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2.0 cdti ecoflex stop start.
tuning box.... Bluespark pro boost.
cost....£279..
MPG...+5mpg.
max settings 201 bhp 431 nm.
5 maps with 9 fine tune adjustments.

info,,,

http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/pro-plus-boost

http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/carspecs2?carid=3869

very easy to fit lots of settings to play with the box itself looks and feels very well made
connecting it to the maf sensor and fuel rail is very easy 10min job
overall i am very happy with the bluespark pro boost box it transforms the drive and the feel of the car
the car feels very responsive and much better to drive with no turbo lag at all the box feels perfect and i highly recommend it
boost control boxes are the way forward i would not touch a box without boost control
absolutely no DPF or any other issues at all with this box
this is not a generic type one box fits all it is engine specific so if buying used make sure it is for your exact engine spec
the box has a nice safe not over the top increase in power and the difference is very noticeable from the standard set up
you can also send the box back and they will reprogram it and change any connectors for any other car you may buy in the future
for a smaller cost than buying a new one
over all i give it a 10/10 rating.
im currently running the car on a performance mapped as i prefer that over tuning boxes but i did have a DTUK Pedal box on the car which is now on Ebay as i dont need it now so i would say DTUK are very good
Purchased a DTUK box for my 2.0 CDTi J shortly after buying the car as I was so disappointed with its performance compared to my 1.9 CDTi H.(both manuals). Did not install it until the car had travelled ~7000mi. Left it on factory settings for 15,000mi, there was not that much difference to performance on that setting but had to remove it as the clutch began to slip on freeway @ 70mph when I planted it.
Now I'm not sure if the box was the problem but the clutch has not slipped since it was removed. Odo now at 37500mi
(13:th-Jul-2016, 12:26:57)ozzopel Wrote: Purchased a DTUK box for my 2.0 CDTi J shortly after buying the car as I was so disappointed with its performance compared to my 1.9 CDTi H.(both manuals). Did not install it until the car had travelled ~7000mi. Left it on factory settings for 15,000mi, there was not that much difference to performance on that setting but had to remove it as the clutch began to slip on freeway @ 70mph when I planted it.
Now I'm not sure if the box was the problem but the clutch has not slipped since it was removed. Odo now at 37500mi
. Something is suspect with this. My car running 460nm with a clutch that has 108000 on the clock and no slip unless I launch in second gear. I just so happen to make clutches. Regarding the power.. what Dtuk box are you using ? Crd2+?
Dtuk box acceleration https://youtu.be/hxY0Esh31zI

Dtuk box acceleration https://youtu.be/hxY0Esh31zI
Looking to get a Superchips box but they need a 1.4t Petrol running euro 6 ecu they wanted to borrow mine but they're to faraway .
Ps wouldn't recommend DTUK was running one on a Astra 2.0 cdti it was rubbish then it went in for service and ecu was updated which made the box SCRAP, DTUK TOLD ME TO PUT IT ON EBAY #Disgrace avoid
(10:th-Mar-2017, 18:35:21)OWayneofwolves Wrote: Looking to get a Superchips box but they need a 1.4t Petrol running euro 6 ecu they wanted to borrow mine but they're to faraway .
Ps wouldn't recommend DTUK was running one on a Astra 2.0 cdti it was rubbish then it went in for service and ecu was updated which made the box SCRAP, DTUK TOLD ME TO PUT IT ON EBAY #Disgrace avoid
.               I always tell them not to do software updates as the car is mapped.
Quick update. My car went into limp mode again over the weekend so removed my racechip and limped over to the dealer. Svs message was gone on Monday morning but there were a bunch of historical error messages stored. Anyway, nothing appeared to faulty so errors codes were deleted. I can't have this happening again so I'm rid of the Racechip for good now. It's a shame as I've done close on 25k with it fitted. The car is much quieter without it on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

I've had two experiences with boxes/chipping and would like to share my findings...

Firstly back in 2012 I had a DTUK Red box fitted to my Astra J 2.0lt CDTi and found it to be excellent if left on the standard map that the unit came with. The car was much more responsive and produced better MPG results over the standard car.

However, as soon as I changed the map settings to any of the higher power outputs, the car kicked out plumes of black smoke, eventually this would lead to DPF full issues.

2015 I purchased a Superchips Bluefin for a new Astra GTC VXR, I decided on the stage 1 map as I didn't want anything as aggressive as the DTUK box on my brand new car.

Firstly to anyone with a VXR, it's like driving with the VXR button pressed all the time, the car is much more responsive compared to the factory settings. I did find it though, harder to pull away due to wheel spin and in the end decided to return back to standard.

Also when I pressed the VXR button with the Bluefin map, the car was cruel to the tyres and span the wheels regardless of how gentle I was with the accelerator pedal.

Standard for me from now on as it's better for wear and tare parts including my pockets.
So I just bought the Racechip S for my 1.7 110hp J.
Next week I go on a 3 week holiday/roadtrip to Norway with my Astra.
Hoping it will arrive in time.
Hoping the racechip will make the ride more fun, and a bit better for my consumption.
Also hoping it wont cause any problems because, well, I need the car to get home

Wanted to try this option instead of a 500€ remap.
Will update my findings here.
(28:th-Jun-2018, 09:46:56)rlievens Wrote: So I just bought the Racechip S for my 1.7 110hp J.
Hoping the racechip will make the ride more fun, and a bit better for my consumption.
Also hoping it wont cause any problems because, well, I need the car to get home

I may have said this before but the Racechip XLR pedal box made more difference than the chip, makes the power more instant.
Highly recommend one if you can
If you were to have a problem, just take the blanking plug with you and it will take it back to standard.
Have a good holiday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know, I would have gone for that but I already have the sports button which does about the same thing
(2:nd-Jul-2018, 08:43:19)rlievens Wrote: I know, I would have gone for that but I already have the sports button which does about the same thing

I’ve never driven one with the sport button so I don’t know how different it makes the drive

rlievens Wrote:So I just bought the Racechip S for my 1.7 110hp J.

Racechip S: +21hp
from 110hp to 131hp (on paper)

Recieved and fitted yesterday. Went for a small testdrive and I do notice a difference.
I can feel when the chip kicks in. Engine "roars" a bit more and pulls a bit harder.
Still on the middle setting 3, maybe 4 will be fine as well, but haven't had time to test yet.
Only thing I noticed is that the extra power the chip deliveres does not feel instant. Like it takes some time to kick in. Maybe 0,5 seconds after you press your pedal.
Noticable when you want to drive it hard, but not so noticable when you drive it normally.
Bare in mind I have only driven the car for 10 minutes with the chip, so these are my very first impressions.
Oh and installation was easy

Will update in 3-4 weeks, after my Holiday where I will drive approx 2500 miles.
Hi all
So can any one recommend a box for the GTC 2.0 cdti ? (165)
I’d like to start with a “ tuning “ box but would also/eventually like a pedal box but budget dictates, also, anyone know where I can get a red/black mirror wrap for my mirrors??
New owner

rlievens Wrote:

Recieved and fitted yesterday. Went for a small testdrive and I do notice a difference.
I can feel when the chip kicks in. Engine "roars" a bit more and pulls a bit harder.
Still on the middle setting 3, maybe 4 will be fine as well, but haven't had time to test yet.
Only thing I noticed is that the extra power the chip deliveres does not feel instant. Like it takes some time to kick in. Maybe 0,5 seconds after you press your pedal.
Noticable when you want to drive it hard, but not so noticable when you drive it normally.
Bare in mind I have only driven the car for 10 minutes with the chip, so these are my very first impressions.

Will update in 3-4 weeks, after my Holiday where I will drive approx 2500 miles.

Way to late, but here we go: my review for the Racechip

Used it on holiday through the fjords in Norway and has been on setting 4 all the time.
Really enjoyed the extra horsepower.
Also reduced my consumption by 1 liter per 100km's!

On setting 4 it did make the engine sound a bit like a tractor, but i haven't had any problems with it.
As for the DPF, I haven't noticed an increase in regenerations when driving long distances.
For short distances.. hard to tell really. When i plan a long trip, I turn the chip to lvl 4. When i do everyday short trips i usually turn it off in fear for clogging DPF.

For the winter I have unplugged the chip. Seemed to be better not to use it when engine is very cold and on the short trips i do now.
So yeah, I like it. No downsides yet but I'm careful as well
(4:th-Jul-2018, 10:11:44)rlievens Wrote:

Where about did you plug in the second plug ?. I'm aware one goes into the fuel rail but unable to find the other sensor.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Racechip S Tuning Box Marc_81 2 2,536 2:nd-Jul-2020, 18:38:13
Last Post: badger64
  Tuning Iaintruten 2 3,631 16:th-Feb-2018, 18:38:05
Last Post: Iaintruten
Astra J 2013 2.0 - looking to buy pedal box and tuning box! tinkiwinki 18 11,785 11:th-Mar-2017, 18:58:15
Last Post: Wayneofwolves
  Tuning Box : Against every fibre in my body.. Olly-Midd 15 10,200 1:st-Sep-2016, 09:59:28
Last Post: Scoobysn7x
  Pictures of tuning box installed chrisb2511 12 9,033 22:nd-Aug-2016, 21:23:01
Last Post: marcus

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
mc92661 (9:th-Dec-2023, 06:50:45)