Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
clay bar virgin

clay bar virgin
Ended up buying the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit last weekend. I was looking for the demon shine snow foam kit. Anyway ended up in Halfords where they have a 3 for 2 offer at present. Anyway I've used the snow foam and I've been impressed with the results just tried the clay bar I've been sceptical of peoples claims but thought it's worth a try as the car is covered in little speckles of tar. I've only done the passenger front wing as I had a spare half hour and I'm impressed with the results as it has removed all the speckles and the paint looks like it did after it had the re-spray. Lucking forward to getting some free time so I can do the whole car.
It's well worth the effort mate, my neighbours keep wanting me to clean their cars.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
its that time of year again i need a new one my self and some wax as that is all gone too
The tin of wax I have is great done two cars and still looks like it's not been used am thinking of grabbing some meguiar's liquid wax well the offer is on in halfords.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Clay cloth is the way forward, same results but quicker & easier
Using Tapatalk
never herd of that info please
tucpal Wrote:never herd of that info please

Plus 1

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...p?t=318031

Have a read...
Using Tapatalk
very interesting read that looks like a good product expensive but i see the benefits
so this is what i what then with the OCD SLITHER
### OCD Finish Clay Cloth With Free Slither Clay Bar Lube 500ml Detailing ### | eBay
The cloth is £14 from halfords for a different make one so not expensive... For lube just make up your own solution of car shampoo / APC & water in a spray bottle.
Using Tapatalk
Might give the cloth a go on the Mokka

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cheers for the cheaper tip
Halfords | Farecla G3 Body Prep Clay Mitt
great price to try it with the 3 for 2
How long should a clay bar last? I've spent my day off doing the whole car. Started yesterday on the rear bumper and finished the rest of the car today. Anyway the claybar started to break up. All I know I'm knackered now after claying polishing and then waxing the car.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
lol hard work hey... It lasts until you do it lol

To be fair it depends on how contaminated it gets but I only clay twice a year so tend not to reuse clay too often.
Using Tapatalk
Hard work is an understatement. Need to go back to work for a break. Spent from 9am till 16:20 cleaning the car. Annoyingly After I put all the stuff away the heavens opened :(
But you can watch the water bead lol
Using Tapatalk
JohnL Wrote:Hard work is an understatement. Need to go back to work for a break. Spent from 9am till 16:20 cleaning the car. Annoyingly After I put all the stuff away the heavens opened :(

I tend to try and keep on top of the claying task . I deal with the bad bits every couple of weeks (the areas aft of the front wheels i.e the bottom of the wings and the front doors) . The hatch tends to need done more than other areas too. .
Christ you must wax all the time then
Using Tapatalk
why don't you i use a tub a week
Obviously , I wax the sections after I have clayed them . However , I only have to do that say , every second week but the Dodo Juice product goes a long way. If you apply some Black Light(the best polish I've used so far) before the wax , it really makes it shine. .
Crikey, but most waxes last 2-3 months so you should only need a good maintenance wash regime in between & a top up with a Quick Detailer or something.

Anyway each to their own.
Using Tapatalk
As above i do it every 3 months religiously i have used the AUTO GLYM HIGH DEFINITION for donkeys now
£40 for 150 grams but it does last the year
the finish really will last last a long time and a good polish before hand with AUTO GLYM SUPER RISEN POLISH
and to top up the shine in between i use a liquid wax TURTLE WAX ICE
as i find this to be very easy to use and quick and it is also good for the black plastic bits.
You guys must have way too much time on your hands!

So, feel free to come and give my car a good going over

I've never used one of these clay bars, but I might invest in this cloth from Halfords and give it a little go. Anyone tried the cloth yet?
i will be giving it a go in the next few weeks :cool
I'd never used the clay bar before. I've been tempted but never really had the time till yesterday. I'm going to try the cloth next time though in the hope it's quicker and easier. I just need to get rid of the swirls on the bonnet

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
J1ODYA Wrote:Crikey, but most waxes last 2-3 months so you should only need a good maintenance wash regime in between & a top up with a Quick Detailer or something.

Anyway each to their own.

I understand the durability of the wax but I reckon if you clay the surface , the likelihood is that , the wax is stripped off or is that just a myth peddled by wax salesmen. .
If you have a good pre wash product plus clay then the wax should be removed. My concern about over claying is the damage it will do to the paintwork in terms of swirls etc
Using Tapatalk
I tend to only clay twice a year and when i do it is followed by a good polish and a buff then wax
i tried the G3 clay cloth and G3 detailer and wow i really like it very easy to use and very good results
so thanks for the tip very good,
I've got the G3 detailer am waiting till my clay bars gone before I buy a cloth one.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
dont think i will go back to clay now the cloth is much easier
so it's just that cloth and a spray bottle filled with carshampo and water? or am i missing somethin ?
have a read of this

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...6100,d.ZGU

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...c0iNuvOmTw
tucpal Wrote:have a read of this

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...6100,d.ZGU

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...c0iNuvOmTw

ok so first wash car and then use g3 with that cloth?
sorry struggeling a little bit with the langue.
also doesn't help that i don't know anything about this
Wash, clay, compound, polish then wax / seal.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
no problem as above wash car, then clay and g3 detailer, and then wax.
tucpal Wrote:no problem as above wash car, then clay and g3 detailer, and then wax.
thanks, i think i will give the link u gave a go. although i ùight wait until just before or just after winter because the car is still pretty new
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCD-Finish-Cla...m2a37d9024)
thankfully they ship worldwide
best to wax just before winter so the car has some protection from the bad weather
and then in spring to protect from the sun
Tucpal what do think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clay-Cloth-Fin...43cd8c7cac
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Looks ok